BERRY: 6 miles east of Moore. A post office established 22 June 1892 and name changed to MORGAN, 24 April 1901. Named for George G. Berry, early-day resident.
BOX: Located in the extreme southeasten part of the county. Named for first postmaster, George Box. Post office, no longer in existence, operated from 7 May 1898 to 2 January 1907.
BUCKHEAD: 6 miles west of Wanette. A post office from 3 March 1893 to 30 November 1906.
CASE: 12 miles east of Moore. A post office from 1 December 1890 to 31 July 1906. Named for Charles P. Case, first postmaster.
CORBETT: 7 miles southeast of Lexington. Formerly HIGBEE. Name changed to Corbett 19 February 1902, and discontinued 2 January 1907. Named for first postmaster, James P. Corbett.
DENVER: 6 miles east of Norman. A post office from 24 May 1892 to 14 April 1906 Name comes from Denver, Colorado.
ETOWAH: 11 miles east of Noble. No longer in existence. A post office from 17 August 1894 to 31 May 1907. Name is from a Cherokee settlement in Forsyth County, Georgia.
FRANKLIN: 11 miles northeast of Norman. A post office from 10 May 1892 to 14 April 1906. Named for Joe Franklin, a local long-time resident.
HALL: 6 miles southeast of Noble. A post office from 7 March 1891 to 15 November 1906. Named for first postmaster Carrie Hall.
HALL PARK: A municipality incorporated 26 August 1960 adjoining Norman on the northeast. Named for townsite developer, Ike Hall.
HIGBEE: 7 miles southeast of Lexington. Post office established 23 August 1901, and name changed to CORBETT 19 February 1902. Named for Joseph B. Higbee, local Pottawatomie Indian.
LEXINGTON: Post office established 21 February 1890. The name comes from Lexington, Kentucky.
LINDEN: 7 miles south of Newalla. A post office from 17 October 1893 to 14 February 1906. Took its name from the basswood or lime tree. No longer in existence.
MAGUIRE: 4 miles east of Noble. A post office from 29 may 1900 to 2 January 1907. Named for James D. Maguire, Norman hardware dealer.
MARDOCK: 14 miles east of Norman. No longer in esistence. A post office from 31 January 1900 to 2 January 1907. Mardock Mission is listed on National Registry of Historic Places.
MOORE: Post office established 27 May 1889, and discontinued 7 January 1972, to become a branch of the Oklahoma City office. Named for Al Moore, Sante Fe Railway conductor. The original railroad name was VERBECK.
MORGAN: Formerly Berry. 6 miles east of Moore. Post office name changed to Morgan 24 April 1901 and discontinued 31 July 1906. Named for first postmaster, M. G. Morgan.
NOBLE: 7 miles southeast of Norman. Post office established 18 June 1889. Named for John W. Noble, secretary of the interior under President Benjamin Harrison.
NORMAN: County seat of Cleveland County. Post office established 27 May 1889. Took its name from Norman Switch, established by the Sante Fe railway at the site of Camp Norman, named for Aubrey Norman, surveyor.
PECAN: 9 miles southeast of Lexington. No longer in existence. A post office from 20 January 1896 to 31 May 1905. Named for a nearby grove of pecan trees.
QUINCY: 6 miles west of Moore. No longer in existence. A post office from 21 March 1892 to 29 February 1904. Named by Vincent E. Breese, first postmaster, for his hometown of Quincy, Illinois.
SLUSHER: Located in the northeastern part of the county. No longer in existence. It was a post office from 13 June 1894 to 14 August 1905. Named for William P. Slusher, first postmaster.
STELLA: In the extreme northeastern corner of the county. A post office from 23 November 1892, to 14 February 1906. Named for Stella Guilliams, mother of William D. Guilliams, early-day resident.
VERBECK: Original railroad name for MOORE. The name was coined from the telegraphic call "VK."
from OKLAHOMA PLACE NAMES by GEORGE H. SHIRK