Coal County, Oklahoma
A part of the OKGenWeb and USGenWeb project

Coordinator: Mel Owings

text = Coalgate

The County seat of Coal County, is Coalgate. It was the site of a mining camp and most of the people in the area had migrated there prior to 1885. Three railroads became active around there in 1885, the Oklahoma City, Ada and Atoka, the Rock Island, and the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas, (M.K.&T.). During this time the town was known as Liddle, and was well known by 1890. The town was incorporated as Coalgate in 1898. It was named for the President of the M.K.&T. Coalgate Hoyle. Coalgate had grown to a population of 2,921 by statehood in 1907, due to the coal activity. A slogan from the early day mining activities was "A gate to wealth from the Coal Industry." By 1908 the population had grown to 3,500 and it had 65 businesses. It continued to grow until 1925, when the coal mines began to close.

Four major highways converge at Coalgate, US75, SH3, SH43 and SH31. The towns in the county began as mining camps and as time went along, their names changed with time and circumstances.

train


powered by FreeFind
Updated:  Sunday, June 25, 2017 Copyright © 2008 - 2017
Coal County Coordinator
Hosted by RootsWeb
Copyright Notice: The creator copyrights ALL files on this site. The files may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from the Coal County Coordinator, [okcoalco@gmail.com], and their creator. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc. are.
It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.