Search billions of records on


Jan 26, 1905, Sun Monitor, Mangum, OT

L.A. Burnside and R.O. Gardner appeared at the Mangum hospital the other day, bringing a box containing nearly all the bones of a skeleton of a child, which they had brought to submit to the attention of Dr. DeArman, county coroner.

They stated that on January 9, while exploring what is known as the Three Wing Cave, 2 1/2 miles from Duke, they came to a narrow passage which they proceeded to dig larger, to enable them to get through, and while digging thus they came on to this skeleton. The hospital surgeon says they are undoubtedly the bones of a child about a year and a half old, and have the appearance of having been buried several years.

It is a very strange place to find the remains of a child of that age and the mystery suggests that a murder has been committed.

March 2, 1905, Sun Monitor, Mangum, OT., page 1

Died from the effects.

J.W. Carter, who has been carrying the mail between Carmel and Olustee died on Saturday, February 25th, from the effects of a run-away accident which occurred the day before. It was at Mr. Carter's home near Carmel, his sons had a young horse hitched to a two wheeled road cart and were attempting to break it to drive. Their handling of the animal seemed not to please the old gentleman and he had them hold it while he got in the cart and told the boys to turn the animal loose which they did.
The horse started to run and one of the wheels struck a sage brush bump jolting the old gentleman from his seat, his right foot run through the spokes of the wheel and caught locking the wheel so that it slid for a hundred yards then striking a sand bed when the spectators were horrified to see the man's foot and leg fly thirty feet into the air. The sand bed gave the wheel more power and the leg was broken just below the knee and actually torn off and thrown into the air while the man fell backwards to the ground. The skin was all pulled off from the knee and the leaders had torn out chunks of muscle. Mr. Carter lived about 24 hours after the accident and the shock was so great that he felt no pain until the next day. For several hours before his death however, he suffered great agony.

Sun Monitor, Mangum, OT, Jan 21, 1904

ENID, O.T. JAN 14, 1904, --Yesterdays WAVE says: This, the 13th of January, is J. Wilkes Booth's birthday, and he celebrated it in Enid by having his photograph taken, nearly a year after his death. It will be remembered that a man calling himself David George, but who at various times confessed to be J. Wilkes Booth, committed suicide in the Grand Avenue Hotel, this city, January 31, 1903. No one by the name of George ever made the least inquiry concerning the dead man, but an abundance of evidence to prove that the deceased was no other than J. Wilkes Booth was produced.

The last evidence was from a New York girl claiming that the deceased was her father and that it was J. Wilkes Booth. In her last letter she said she was quite sure it was her father and she would see that he was buried respectfully. Nothing has been heard from her for months, hence the remains, being thoroughly embalmed, have been preserved above ground nearly a year awaiting the coming of either the George or Booth family to take charge of the remains or pay for the burial of the same.

Today, the birthday of Booth, the remains, in full dress and remarkably well preserved, were photographed in the Penniman undertaking rooms in the presence of a few citizens. The corpse, except for a slight discoloring, looked as natural as life, which proves the mode of embalming adopted by Mr. Ryan, the undertaker, is a complete success.

Francis and Salton News, Sun Monitor, Mangum, OT. FEB 4, 1904

Death has once more brought sadness and sorrow into our community by taking our beloved sister M.L. Chitwood, the wife of J.W. Chitwood, five miles north of Francis, leaving a husband and seven children to mourn her death. Sister Chitwood was the light of our community. A loving Christian woman, a fond mother and wife. She was 50 years old, had resided in Greer seven years, was born in Mississippi; her maiden name was Roberts. She was sick confined to her bed only eight days having the pneumonia.

For the past year Mr. Chitwood's troubles have been many, first two of his children were very sick, then his house burned down, then his boy Luther's limb was taken off. He dug a well 115 feet and struck nothing but salt water. He himself was sick two weeks and then came the death of his wife. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to the bereaved family.

Mrs Chitwood was one of the teachers of our Sabbath School, we shall miss her very much. The funeral of sister Chitwood was held at the home of Bro. Wilson. She was baptized and became a member of the Baptist church at the Flanigan schoolhouse last June, 1903. Burial took place at Francis, Jan. 20. A large number attended. Dr. Harris attended the deceased and had the disease under control, but when the inflammatory condition gave way her vitality was so exhausted, she was not able to rally.

Little Johnnie Johnson, age 16 months, 27 days, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L.A. Johnson, died at their home on Feb. 27, 1904, at 8 o'clock.

Everything that medical skill could devise--everything that loving hearts and hands could do was done but to no avail. After many months of pain that seemed to be borne so patiently by the tender little sufferer, she was called by him who gave her--away to that land where sorrow in unknown.

Out in the realms of a sinless world.
Far beyond the shores of time,
Angels wafted her stainless soul,
Away to that sorrowless clime.

A part of the large crowd that had gathered at Mr. Jonson's, assembled in the parlor, and after prayer by the preacher in charge, the corpse was taken to the hearse which was in waiting, and driven to the cemetery followed by a large procession of relatives and friends. After having reached the cemetery the unconscious speeler in her beautiful white casket was placed near the grave.

Silently the crowd gathered around her, then softly rose the words "Nearer, my God, to Thee". Ah, how full of meaning, and how the stricken father and mother felt nearer, "E'eb tgi'it, be a cross," Yes, there was a cross, a mighty cross, but the hope to meet the loved one in that summer's land sustained them. After this song the preacher read a passage of scripture then they sang "Rock of Ages."

How sweet the echo. "Cleft for me," and then "Let me hide myself in Thee." How appropriate it was to sing of that mighty "Rock of Ages" and how we felt that we, too, should soon "soar to world's unknown and behold him on His judgement throne."

Though little Johnnie is with us no more, and tears of grief fall like rain, we find consolation in the thought that out beyond in that sinless summer land she is resting where the mortal pains of this life are never felt and its storms and griefs can never reach her.

Dear father, dear mother,
Weep for your child
For tears will ease the pain.
But smile, for in that other world
You'll meet your child again.
Johnnie will meet you on the borderland
That lies the worlds between
Oh, Yes, she'll meet you over there
It won't be long till then

A friend.

Return To Contents Page
Copyright WTGS, 1997-1998

Web Page Design by Ethel Taylor

This page was last updated on Monday, 09-Mar-98 17:51:28 PST


NOTICE: Western Trails Genealogy Society grants that this information and data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, for personal and genealogical research. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without written permission of the officers of WTGS.