Cities and Towns of Johnston County and their Post Office Information

Ones marked with gray background are no longer in existence,

either by a name change or gone for good.

 

Please see below these listings for further information furnished by a Johnston County resident.

Alhambra

P.O. 4 miles n. of Mill Creek, 5/5/1896-5/31/1904, named for the fortress near Grenada, Spain.

Bee

1o miles SE of Tishomingo; P. O. 4/5/1889-6/15/1918; named for Dee Taylor, daughter of local pioneer; spelling changed by P. O. Dept.

Belton

8 miles NE of Tishomingo, P. O. 10/3/1895-1/30/1915

Bromide

5 miles NW of Wapanucka, got it’s name from nearby mineral springs.  Previous names were Jaunita and Zenobia.

Coatsworth

5 miles east of Connerville, P. O. 4/1/1903-1/2/1907

Coleman

9 miles NE of Milburn, formerly named Ego

Connerville

P. O. 8/6/1897, named for George B. Conner, first postmaster

Cope

2 miles west of Wapanucka, 2/4/1902-12/31/1913, named for Henry T. Cope, first postmaster.  Formerly Darthie.

Darthie

Established 4/12/1900, name was changed to Cope on 2/4/1902

Earl

2 miles NW of Mannsville, P. O. 11/3/1893-10/15/1908

Ego

Started on 6/7/1895, name requested by the residents was Echo.  Also see Coleman.

Egypt

6 miles southeast of Milburn, P. O. 9/17/1904-7/31/1916, named for the actual Egypt. (note from L. Rowland, EGYPT, is no more.  In fact, NOTHING remains of the original site except for 2 or 3 abandoned wells.  It is basically non-existent!!)

Ellen

P. O. 1/18/1900-8/17/1901, named for Ellen Chapman, see Milburn

Emet

3 miles south of Milburn, P. O. 2/18/1884-11/30/1917, named for Emet Victor

Fillmore

5 miles NE of Millburn, P. O. 2/10/1902-10/31/1965, named after Elias Fillmore

Folsom

Folsom is about 6 miles south of Coleman but would be about 10 miles southeast of Milburn, P. O. 7/13/1894-3/14/1955, named after David Folsom

Fontana

No information – do you have some?

Ittitalah

P. O. from 8/1/1881-5/29/1883, Choctaw word for a wooden pin or spike

Jaunita

P. O. 10/20/1905-4/27/1906, named for Jaunita Jackson, see Zenobia and Bromide

Lester

4 miles south of Mill Creek, P. O. 9/15/1899-8/31/1910

Mannsville

Named after Wallace Mann, first postmaster, est. 8/28/1888

Milburn

Named after W. J. Milburn, a resident, see Ellen

Mill Creek

Named after the Mill Creek nearby, est. 6/11/1879

Nida

Named after Nida French, P. O. 10/26/1895-10/30/1915, 7 miles west of Kenefic

Norton

5 miles north of Mannsville, P. O. 5/22/1894-12/15/1912, after Sealy Norton

Pontotoc

17 miles north of Tishomingo, P. O. 9/22/1858, after Pontotoc County

Randolph

5 miles SW of Tishomingo, P. O. 9/5/1901-6/30/1919, named after Thomas Randolph, Frisco RR official.

Ravia

Named for Joseph Ravia, est. 3/30/1894, it’s 3 miles west of Tishomingo

Reagan

9 miles north of Tishomingo, P. O. 6/25/1894-5/15/1931, named after John H. Reagan, Texas Confederate postmaster general.

Russett

6 miles east of Mannsville, P. O. 10/3/1894-9/15/1924

Springbrook

3 miles south of Bromide, P. O. 7/17/1906 and closed down 11/15/1910, previous name was Viola

Sylvan

8 miles north of Mannsville, P. O. 5/8/1895-2/28/1905, Latin silva, meaning forest

Teller

South of Ravia.  It may be the site of an abandoned schoolhouse
near there.  There is a Teller Cemetery, located about 3 or 4 miles south of Ravia and slightly back east

Thomas

6 miles NW of Ravia, P. O. 11/18/1890-10/6/1891, named for John Thomas, early-day resident

Tishomingo

P. O. est. 6/29/1857, for Chief Tishomingo

Townsley

5 miles west of Wapanucka, P. O. 2/7/1905-1/31/1907, for John Townsley, first postmaster

Troy

7 miles se of Mill Creek, P. O. 9/14/1897-11/15/1954, for Troy, New York

Truax

5 miles se of Tishomingo, P. O. 6/1/1901-5/31/1908, for Dr. G. G. Truax, local rancher

Viola

3 miles south of Bromide, P. O. 6/30/1890- and changed to Springbrook, see Springbrook above, for Viola Jackson

Wapanucka

P. O. est. 3/5/1883, Delaware Indian word, referring to themselves, means “eastern people”  12/17/1888, moved post office 4 miles east to present location.

Wiley

No information – do you have some?

Zenobia

P. O. from 4/27/1906, formerly Jaunita, now present Bromide.  Named after Zenobia Jackson.

Sources: GNIS (Geographic Names Information Center)

Oklahoma Place Names by George R. Shirk

 

From L. Rowland:

Emet and Fillmore are little communities of about 25 people but still have their "name" signs up, so these towns still do exist.  Nida also exists but has a population of somewhere 3 to maybe 10 people.  I'm not sure if there are any signs up that say "Nida" or not.  Russett and Troy also are small towns but there are signs up that announce each town's name.  Bromide has it's name etched in rock in the high hills to the north and east of the town.  Used to, it was kept painted and one could easily see "Bromide" spelled out.  Today, it is not kept painted, though, I don't think.

Webmaster
This site was last updated: