Search billions of records on

Kingfisher County Indian News

submitted by Barbara Clayton

Source: THE KINGFISHER TIMES, Thursday, December 20, 1928.


It used to be that Paul SYKES, aged Negro singer, was one of Kingfisher's principal sources of advertising and remembrance.

Paul isn't singing now, but Kingfisher is still getting some unique advertising in many distant sections of the country.

The writings of Chief MOHIVOD WICKS, printed each week in THE TIMES under the heading of "Indian News," are being reprinted in newspapers all over the nation, from the small-town weeklies to the big town dailies.

Readers of THE TIMES in other states have frequently been inspired to clip the Indian news from this paper and take it to their local publishers, who reprint it. Other papers recopy it, and the thing is spreading farther all the time.

One of the most recent papers to print Kingfisher Indian News is the Vandalia, Illinois, Union. Frank DAVIS, brother of M. M. DAVIS of this city, was the contributor.

The principal interest in the Indian news lies in the unusual names which appear therein. Several local people have sent THE TIMES "back east" to relatives who have no other interest in Kingfisher than that of reading of the doings of "BIG KNEE," "LITTLE BEAVER," "Joe YELLOW EYES," "John TURTLE," "Mrs. DOG WOMAN," and others.

submitted by Barbara Clayton

Source: THE KINGFISHER FREE PRESS, Monday, August 13, 1951.


Joseph FLETCHER of Geary accompanied Rev. WILLIS here Thursday to conduct the funeral here for Mary TASSO.

Walter AMERICAN HORSE is proud of the new car he purchased recently.

Mr. and Mrs. Eugene WOOLWORD of Concho were among those who attended the funeral in Kingfisher on Thursday.

Joe YELLOW EYES and family have moved back to their home place west of Kingfisher.

Sioux LITTLE CALF returned to his home following a visit in Kingfisher.

Robert TASSO arrived last Friday for a few days furlough and to attend his grandmother's funeral.

Franklin BUSHY returned from Watonga after a week's visit there.

Willie TURTLE and family returned home from Red Rock after attending the pow-wow there.

Joan W. BUSHY returned home after visiting at Calumet and Red Rock.

James HIGH HAWK of Pine Ridge, S.D., is visiting at Apache and Anadarko before returning to his home.

Elsie Mae BUSHY returned to Oklahoma City following a visit with her mother west of Kingfisher.

Grover TURTLE went to Concho on a business trip last Friday.

Theodore TASSO of the armed forces is home on a few days leave and to attend the funeral of his grandmother.

Nettie CROTZER returned to her home after attending the funeral of her mother, Mary TASSO.

submitted by Barbara Clayton

Source: THE KINGFISHER TIMES, Thursday, December 22, 1927.


Lizzie TASSO and Daisy STARR motored to Concho hospital to be at the bedside of Andrew TASSO, who was down with pneumonia.

Laura STRONG has returned home from Fort Supply, where she accompanied Lizzie WHITT.

Clinton PAWPA and family have returned to Calumet after a week's visit here.

Andrew TASSO passed away at Concho hospital after being sick for some time.

Peter WHITE BEAR and family of near Watonga have decided to spend their Christmas holidays at SORE HEAD's.

Victor BUSHY HEAD and family have moved their camp outfit on COYOTE's place this week for Christmas, near Calumet.

Agnes YELLOW EYES is on the sick list but improving at this writing.

Grandpa PAWPA is out in the country visiting the home of Mr. and Mrs. Joe YELLOW EYES.

Charley GOODSELL of near Watonga is spending a few days at YELLOW EYES'.

Elliott TASSO hauled the Lone Scout basketball club to Concho last Saturday, where they had a game with the Concho second team.

The funeral of Andrew TASSO was held at the Baptist Indian Mission, December 19.

Henry SKUNKNECK, Sr. and family of Calumet are visiting here this week.

Mrs. SKUNKNECK reports that the Indians around Calumet are well prepared for Christmas holidays.

Sioux TALL MEAT and his mother, Ghost Woman, are planning to attend the Christmas celebration.

John TASSO accompanied the basketball team to Concho last Saturday night.

Harry STARR made a trip to Concho last week to visit his uncle, Andrew TASSO, who was a patient there.

Forest TALL BEAR and family returned to their home at Watonga last week from Calumet.

Chief SORE HEAD and his wife, KILLING WOMAN, are ready to entertain their Christmas guests next week.

Orrin TURTLE and family attended the hand game one night last week.

Sister SIX was doing her early Christmas shopping last Saturday.

Kingfisher Lone Scout five defeated the Concho second team on their home court. The game was most exciting from start to finish and only one foul was made throughout the game by Concho, although the little Indians made a bad start.

The first quarter was a real hot one. Only one field goal was made by Concho. The next quarter they made another and also made a foul on Walter WICKS, K.L.S. forward, who made a free goal. At the end of the first half the score stood 4 and 1 in Concho's favor. As the third quarter started Raymond BUFFALO MEAT, Jr., went in in place of Chas. BURGESS, K.L.S. guard. Albert TASSO, Lone Scout center, made a first field goal from under the basket, and another from the side was made by Walter WICKS. At the final quarter Morgan WICKS, Lone Scout
captain and guard, made another from under the basket. Concho made another goal and at the last two minutes of play Morgan looped the last basket from center. This put the Lone Scouts in the lead, 9 to 6. Both teams had a good strong defense and were evenly matched. Morgan WICKS was high-point man for the team. Next game for Lone Scouts is with a Greenwood school team, next Saturday afternoon.


If you have additional information for this page,
please contact the
Kingfisher County Coordinator.

This page was last updated on
Sunday, 19-Nov-2006 19:45:54 MST