| Home | Email Us | LCGS Members | Membership Form | LCGS Events | LCGS Library | Publications | Pioneer Certificate |

The Logan County Genealogical Society, Inc.

Established In 1981

The Guthrie Carnegie Library

The Guthrie Carnegie Library was constructed in 1902/03 and  was the second  Carnegie Library  built in  Oklahoma
and is  the  oldest still  standing.    The library was  funded by  Andrew  Carnegie  and  J. H.  Bennett was  hired as  
the  contractor.  
Although  always used as a library, it is important to the state's history.
Until 1907 Guthrie was the capital of Oklahoma Territory; then from 1907 until 1910 Guthrie was the state capital.


Total construction cost was approximately $25,000

The library  came  about  as a result of the  work  of the  Federated Women's Club of Guthrie.
The group needed  large room  for meetings, since most homes did not  have
enough space for their  local and state meetings.
From this group, a library board was established which approached Andrew Carnegie requesting a grant
to construct the building. The building's  style is  Second  Renaissance Revival.  
Andrew Carnegie did not like  many of the  library's  features,  such as the dome,  fireplace, and the room
for community  civic group to meet.   He believed  that the space and  money used  for such extras would
have been better spent for books and shelves.
Guthrie has the only Carnegie Library with a dome that was paid for by Carnegie funds.   Other Carnegie
libraries that have domes were paid by other funds.

Frank Frantz, the last territorial governor, was inaugurated on the library's front steps on January 5, 1906,
with over 10,000 spectators in the crowd,  Frantz had been a member of the "Rough Riders" in the 1898
Spanish-American War and 25 of his former comrades participated in the inaugural parade.

Charles N. Haskell, the first state governor, took the oath of office on these same steps on Nov. 16, 1907
Just before Haskell inauguration, a symbolic wedding uniting Mr. Oklahoma and Miss Indian Territory was
performed. The State Capital newspaper reported that 15,000 to 20,000 visitors were in Guthrie that day.

The upper floor of the building features a large central domed rotunda where the circulation desk still stand.
This area has a tiles floor. There are five auxiliary rooms off the central area.

Time has dealt less kindly with the lower floor of the building. In the early days  Tom Mix,  later a Hollywood
cowboy star, taught boxing in the gymnasium which was in the basement and a part of the first floor.

Years later a floor was  added to the  gym and  the  lower area  was converted into a  recreation facility for
local teenagers.

The basement and first floor now contain museum offices and storage areas and are not accessible to the
public.

Return To LCGS

This site maybe freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without the consent of LCGS, Inc.
LCGS©2000-2007
LCGS Web Master
Sharon Crawford
Linda Price Pruitt
Last Updated Friday, 03-Jan-2003 08:28:30 MST
Site Hosted by Rootsweb