| Home | Email Us | LCGS Members | Membership Form | LCGS Events | LCGS Library | Publications | Pioneer Certificate |

The Logan County Genealogical Society, Inc.

Established In 1981

Board of Trustees  & Faculty 1904, 1911, 1913
Roster of Students 1912-1913

EPWORTH COLLEGE
OR
THE METHODIST UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA

LCGS member Nelda BROWN ALKADHIMI became curious about the history of the Methodist Church's property in Guthrie when learning about the history of the Guthrie Scottish Rite Temple. One of the written histories of the Temple states that the first building erected on a ten acre site in Capitol Park was the Guthrie Convention Hall. In 1907 when Oklahoma became a State, this building housed the Senate an House of Representatives. In 1910 the State Capitol was moved to Oklahoma City and the property was sold to the Methodist Church, which established Epworth College on this location, where it remained until 1919. Apparently an official of the church discovered a flaw in the title to the land and the property was returned to Guthrie. The Congress corrected the imperfection in the land title and property was resold by a vote of Guthrie's citizens on Jun 22, 1919 to the Scottish Rite Building Association for one dollar and "certain improvements."

There was a period of perhaps eight or nine years when there were students attending this school of higher education. Who were the trustees? Who were the Board of Directors? Who were the teachers? Where did the students come from and where did they live while attending school? What subjects were taught?

If you are interested in a more detailed history of the formation of denominational schools and colleges during the early history of Oklahoma, you might want to read the Preliminary Announcements in the Epworth University Bulletin, 1904, Annual Catalogues, through 1910-1911. The Articles of Incorporation and other very interesting facts are included. These booklets can be found in the Oklahoma Historical Society library in Oklahoma City.

Fort Worth University, Fort Worth, Texas, and Epworth University, Oklahoma City, were joined in the establishment of the Methodist University of Oklahoma. On January 9, 1912, the Methodist University of Oklahoma was admitted to the University Senate. The Methodist University of Oklahoma is now called Oklahoma City University and is located in Oklahoma City, where in 1992 over 4,000 students are enrolled.

In Series 1, Number 1 dated July 1, 1911, Information Concerning the Methodist University of Oklahoma, the following schools are listed: College of Arts and Sciences, Classical Course, Literary Course and Scientific Course; Academy; School of Fine Arts, Music, Elocution and Oratory, and Art; Graduate School; Teachers College; Commercial School, and Kindergarten Training.

Classes began on September 12, 1911 and ended with Commencement on June 5,1912.

Epworth University Bulletin
Volume 1, Number 1 - July 15, 1904
Preliminary Announcements

BOARD OF TRUSTEES

The Board of Trustees of Epworth University consists of ten preachers and ten laymen whose succession is provided for by the Indian Mission Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and the Oklahoma Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

The Board elects all teachers and officers, decides all question of policy and holds all property belonging to the University.

BOARD OF TRUSTEES 1904
Name Address Conference Term
Expiration
Rev. Marion PORTER

Mr. J.B. THOBURN

Rev. E.S. STOCKWELL

Mr. F.B. REED

Rev. J.F. PALMER

Mr. A.F. RANKIN

Rev. J.T. RYLEY

Hon. George S. GREEN

Rev. F.E. DAY, D.D.

Hon. J.B. CULLISON

Rev. S.G. THOMPSON

Rev J.M. GROSS

Rev. M.L. BUTLER

Rev. T.L. RIPPEY

Rev. L.M. BROYLES

R.P. HOWELL, M.D.

Mr. J.F. QUILLIAN

Hon. Anton H. CLASSON

Supt. Ed. S. VAUGHT

Hon. D.B. AMES

Lawton

Guthrie

Perry

Shawnee

Granite

Perkins

Okla. City

Guthrie

Okla. City

Enid

Okla. City

Durant

Muskogee

Guthrie

Okla. City

Davis

Vinita

Okla. City

Okla. City

Okla. City

Oklahoma

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

Indian Mission

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

1904

1904

1905

1905

1906

1906

1907

1907

1908

1908

Return to the top of  this page.

FACULTY 1904

Robert B. MCSWAN, M.A., President, Professor of Biblical Literature

Benjamin M. DRAKE, M.A. Ph.D., Professor of English

R.C. CLARK, M.A., Professor of History and Social Sciences

R.C. FLICKENGER, M.A., Ph.D., Professor of Latin and Greek

John N. JAMES, A.B., Professor of Mathematics

L.D. ARNETT, Ph.D., Professor of Philosophy and Education

Homer M. DERR, M.A., Ph.D., Professor of Physics

W.E. ALLEN, M.A., Professor of Biology

Sibyl DUNN, A.B., Professor of German

Henry LEDAUM, M.A., Professor of Romance Languages

C.M. STRONG, Instructor in Meteorology

John J. MERRILL, M.B., Professor of Music and Instructor in Piano

Amanda O'CONNER, Assistant Instructor in Piano

Wm. W. GRAY, Professor of Music and Instructor in Voice and Violin

James B. BROWNLEE, M.A., Professor of Elocution and Oratory

Elida G. AMES, B.P., Teacher of Art

B.H. LOCKE, M.A., Instructor in English in the Academy

Olin H. MOORE, M.A., Instructor in French and Mathematics in the Academy

Flora ROSENQUIST, A.B., Instructor in Latin and Greek in the Academy

Minnie PUNTENNEY, Instructor in History, Science and Pedagogy in the Academy

Anne Rose MCLEAN, Primary Teacher in Model School

W.E. ALLEN, Physical Director

B.M. DRAKE, Librarian

J.S. SPRIGG, Custodian of Building and Grounds

Return to the top of  this page.

The University Bulletin
Series 1, Number 2 - July 1, 1911

Information Concerning

The Methodist University Of Oklahoma
Guthrie Oklahoma
Annual Catalogue

1911 - 1912

BOARD OF TRUSTEES 1911

  • Rev. C.R. ROBINSON
  • Rev. J.W. BAKER
  • Rev. Harry C. CASE
  • Rev. M. PORTER
  • Rev. G.W. IRWIN
  • Rev. C.E. MOGG
  • Rev. J.T. RILEY
  • Rev. E.B. RANKIN
  • Rev. E.S. STOCKWELL
  • Rev. M.N. POWERS
  • Rev. J.E. BURT
  • Mr. A. F. RANKIN
  • Mr. C.H. MARTINDALE
  • Mr. S.B. SHARE
  • Judge J. B. CULLISON
  • Mr. F. B. REED
  • Mr. J.F. WARREN
  • Mr. Frank PHILLIPS
  • Mr. Edgar JOHN
  • Mr. Carle MAGEE
  • Judge Frank DALE
  • Tulsa, Okla.
  • Enid, Okla.
  • Alva, Okla.
  • Enid, Okla.
  • Ponca City, Okla.
  • Oklahoma City, Okla.
  • Oklahoma City, Okla.
  • Guthrie, Okla.
  • Muskogee, Okla.
  • McAlester, Okla.
  • Perry, Okla.
  • Guthrie, Okla.
  • Guthrie, Okla.
  • Alva, Okla.
  • Enid, Okla.
  • Shawnee, Okla.
  • Oklahoma City, Okla.
  • Tulsa, Okla.
  • Muskogee, Okla.
  • Tulsa, Okla.
  • Guthrie, Okla.

Return to the top of  this page.

FACULTY 1911-1912

George Henry BRADFORD, A.B., D.D., Chancellor

William FIELDER, D.D., Vice- Chancellor

James W. MAYBERRY, A.B., A.M., Dean of the College, Professor of Chemistry

Angelo C. SCOTT, A.M. L.L.M., Professor of Political Science and Economics

Chester S. MCCREIGHT, M. Accts., Registrar, Director Commercial Department

Geo. W. MARQUHART A.B., Professor of German

Alice C. CONKLING, A.B. Professor of English

Edwin G. GREEN, A.B. Professor of Greek and Latin

Don B. SHIRA, A. B. Professor of Biology, Director of Athletics

Willard A. GOODELL, A.B., A.M., Professor of French and Spanish

Katherine SHUTTS, A.B. Professor of History

James H. BROWNLEE, A.B., Professor of Oratory

T. Drummond REAGER, Instructor of Piano

Hulda Wellemeyer MERTEN, Instructor on Piano

Rose MURRAY, Instructor on Piano

J.G. MRAZ, Instructor on Violin

Olive A. WHEAT, Instructor in Voice

Return to the top of  this page.

The University Bulletin

Series 3, Number 2 - July 1, 1913

Information Concerning

The Methodist University Of Oklahoma
Guthrie Oklahoma

BOARD OF TRUSTEES -1913

Term Expires in 1913

Term Expires in 1914

Term Expires in 1915
Rev. T.J.H. TAGGERT

J.B. LANKARD

Rev. J.W. BAKER

F.B. REED

Rev. H.C. CASE

A. F. RANKIN

Rev. H.B. COLLINS

Judge W.M. SHORT

Rev. M.N. POWERS

Frank PHILLIPS

Alva

Kingfisher

Alva

Shawnee

Guthrie

Guthrie

Ft. Worth, Texas

Ft. Worth, Texas

Nowata

Bartlesville

Rev. W.C. COLEMAN

Rev. T.E. CARTER

S.B. SHARE

Bishop Robert MCINTYRE

Judge Frank DALE

Rev. E.B. RANKIN

Rev. Wm. FIELDER

Rev, C,R, ROBINSON

Rev. E.S. STOCKWELL

H. U. BARTLETT

Guthrie

Ponca City

Alva

Oklahoma City

Guthrie

Guthrie

Guthrie

Tulsa

Muskogee

Mannford

Rev J.E. BURT

Sidney L. BROCK

Rev. M. PORTER

George W. PIERSOL

Rev J.T. RILEY

C.H. MARTINDALE

Rev. D.T. SUMMERVILLE

George E. NIES

Edgar JOHN

Enid

Oklahoma City

Woodward

Oklahoma City

Muskogee

Guthrie

Ft. Worth, Texas

Ft. Worth, Texas

Muskogee

Return to the top of  this page.

FACULTY OF THE UNIVERSITY 1913

George Henry BRADFORD, A.B., D.D., Chancellor (On leave of absence.)

William FIELDER, D.D., Vice-Chancellor and Financial Secretary.

James Willard MAYBERRY, A.M., Dean of the College, Professor of Chemistry.

George PRITCHARD, B.S., Professor of Biology.

Alice Cowles CONKLING, A.B., Professor of English.

Edwin George GREEN, A.B., Professor of Greek and Latin.

Katherine Eulah SHUTTS, A.B., Professor of Latin and History.

George William MARQUARDT, A.B., Professor of German and History.

Willard Arthur GOODELL, A.M., Professor of Biblical Literature and Philosophy.

William Edward HOWARD, M.S., Ph.D., Professor of Mathematics.

Chester Smith MCCREIGHT, M. Accts., Registrar, Director of Commercial School.

Clara Etienne HIXON, Director Kindergarten Training.

Ada B. WOODWARD, Director Piano Department and Instructor in Piano.

Olive Annette WHEAT, Instructor in Voice.

William Edward HOWARD, Instructor in Elocution and Oratory.

Florence Edna LE FEVER, Instructor in Art.

Byrd BURFORD, Assistant in Piano.

George PRITCHARD, B.S., Director of Athletics.

Lelah FANSLER, Office Secretary.

Return to the top of  this page.

ROSTER OF STUDENTS 1912-1913
Work in Progress!  Check this site for listing by December 1st.

Return to the top of  this page.

Return to LCGS, Inc. Main Page

This site maybe freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without the consent of LCGS, Inc.
LCGS©2000-2007
LCGS Web Master
Sharon Crawford
Linda Price Pruitt
Last Updated Friday, 03-Jan-2003 08:28:41 MST
Site Hosted by Rootsweb