The Logan County Genealogical Society, Inc.
Established In 1981
McVicker's Stationery Co.
by Thelma Minnich
Interview with Lois McVicker
Edited For Site
|Floyd and Lois McVicker
Floyd W. and Lois (Seely) McVicker were married Aug. 22,1923.
After 1 year of teaching in Medford, they came to Guthrie in August 1924. He became principal of Banner School. With the help of many fine teachers they were able to guide the youngsters through their elementary years.
Remembered school teachers: Miss Zella PORTER (Mrs. Frank BUCK), Mrs. George
In 1927 Floyd McVicker was offered and accepted the position of Clerk of the Board of Education. Lois McVicker taught as a substitute teacher at Cotteral school for a couple of years.
Remembered School Board member: Homer HIRZEL, Tom DAVIS, Bessie MCCREIGHT and John FURROW and W.A. Greene, superintendent.
In 1939 the McVickers purchased from Ethelyn (NAIL) LEWIS the Lewis Stationery Store, formerly Cravens Book and Supply Store, situated at 210 East Oklahoma, where it had been moved from the basement at the northeast corner of First and Harrison (now Casa Amigo).
Some of High School girls worked at the store on a regular after school job or as a part-time job during "Book Rush" and taking inventory. Juanita McNULTY, Delpha TAYLOR, Hattie WITTICH and Anabel DODSON were a few of these workers.
For very good advertisement, Floyd, who had put himself through college being an auctioneer, would go out to the small, rural, one-room school houses and "cry" their annual box suppers. He did it for no money...just the fun of it.
When the Cottonwood flowing upstream, came out of its banks at flood time, it sometimes cut across Noble Ave. just east of the West Methodist church, east on Noble than north on 10th street and northeast until it covered the territory to the river. People who were forced from their homes were usually housed in Banner School, with what they could salvage besides their children. The only way for them to get across the river was to send a truck west to the Cimarron bridge at Crescent then north to Crescent and back to the Cimarron bridge north of Guthrie. There was a bakery here at that time and food shipments could get in from Oklahoma City. Floyd McVicker and others made many trips through the years for this chore. A soup kitchen was set up some years in the Methodist Church - in what was called the Dale Den - manned by the Red Cross and many volunteers.
Floyd's parents were 89'ers, having settled near Hennessey. Later they moved to Waukomis when his father, Miles McVicker became an Auctioneer - Col. McVicker, as he was called. Floyd helped his father"cry" the sales for many years - their customers lived in the Guthrie vicinity, Pleasant Valley and Mulhall as well as in other parts of the state. After moving to Guthrie, Floyd helped out by selling pie suppers and box suppers in the rural schools. They took advantage of the local politicians by inviting them to bring boxes (and buyers) and made nice sums of money to buy needed equipment for their schools.
Floyd "Mack" McVicker died in 1960
Return To LCGS