Alluwe, Nowata County, Oklahoma

Copyright 1989-2014 by Sharlee Farrell Nowata County GenWeb Coordinator, April 15, 2012
-------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright. All rights reserved.

The town of Alluwe was founded by the Delaware Indians in 1869 and was first called "Lightning Creek."

The name was changed to Alluwe in 1883. The word Alluwe means something better or superior in the Delaware language.

The Chief of the Delaware Indians was Rev. Charles Journeycake. He made his home just north of Alluwe on Lightning Creek.

Scroll down to the end of this site. Old Alluwe Map is now on line. October 11, 2007. Courtesy of Nita Wesson


Alluwe State Bank after fire
Vandagriff Store built on site where the Alluwe State Bank stood
Courtesy of Glenna McKay Maddux
July 28, 2007

"No other bank in Oklahoma was robbed as often or as many times over a short span of time as the Alluwe Bank. Beginning on Dec. 8, 1916 that bank was robbed six times until the bank closed on May 23, 1930. The Poe - Hart gang robbed it the first time, then again on January 3, 1917."
Later Tom Slaughter and Fulton Green robbed the bank.
On March 5, 1930 Big George Herrelson and Ernest royal robbed it."
"The state auditors were busy checking the bank books when three Alluwe boys robbed the bank."
"The very next day May 23, 1930, the Alluwe bank closed its doors for good.
History of Nowata County...page 149 by Robert W. DeMoss


Alluwe Oil Field
Unknown, Charles Myers, Lemuel McKay & Loren McKay
Courtesy of Glenna McKay Maddux
July 29, 2007

1904 "The City of Nowata owes her sudden and continued growth largely to the development of the oil fields in the territory adjacent. The Alluwe field in November, 1904, was the first field opened, followed by the Coody's Bluff field about a year later, and then the Childers and Hogshooter's fields about 1906. All of these proving to be rich fields.
Nowata County, Oklahoma, history from John D. Benedict book 1922


George McGee and George McKay
Courtesy of Glenna McKay Maddux
July 29, 2007


McKay and Farris Reunion 1906
Courtesy of Glenna McKay Maddux
July 29, 2007


Home of Lemuel McKay
August 24, 1911
Scout, Orville, Bonnie, Lacy, L.A., Tiffie, Perry, Glen, Loran McKay, Lon, Esta & Floyd Meyers
Courtesy of Glenna McKay Maddux
July 29, 2007


Lewis and Lacy (McKay) Bible 1919
Courtesy of Glenna McKay Maddux
July 29, 2007

* * * *


Daniel and Rosa (Turner) Dean
of Alluwe Oklahoma
Courtesy of LLoydine
December 12, 2007


The Dean Family
Nora, Bess, Frances, Ella, Grandma Dean, Dora and Claude
Courtesy of LLoydine
December 12, 2007


Leatrice Pauline Triplett

Leatrice Pauline Triplett b.30 Jul 1922 Alluwe, Ok.......now lives in Wagoner, Ok., she also was in the Army Air Corps in WWll...worked on the Norton Bombsite for McDonald Douglas....
Courtesy of LLoydine
December 12, 2007


Lloyd Raymond Triplett

Lloyd Raymond Triplett b.19 April 1917 Alluwe, OK d.24 Mar 1945 in Europe. Died on his 100th jump. WWll Army Air Corp
Courtesy of LLoydine
December 12, 2007


Lester Triplett

Lester Deloy Triplett b.13 Feb 1918 Pumpkin Center, Ok d.1 Nov 2004 Redmond, WA...also was in the Army Air Corp in WWll
Courtesy of LLoydine
December 12, 2007


Oral and Ann (Wiley) Triplett and son

Oral Merman Triplett b.6 Jul 1920 Alluwe, OK d. 20 Nov 1975 Las Vegas, NV., was in the Army Air Dorp in WWll
Courtesy of LLoydine
December 12, 2007

Pete Triplett b.22 Feb 1924 in Alluwe, Ok d.4 May 1991 Bartlesville, Ok....he was a drill instructor in the Army Air Corp during WWll

All above were the children of Ella V. Dean and James Elmer Triplett of Allewe, Ok.

Ella was the daughter of Rosa Turner and Daniel Dean and Elmer the son of James Thomas David Triplett and Julina C. Woods also of Alluwe,Ok. Lloyd, Ella, James Thomas David, Daniel Dean, James Elmer, Pete are all buried around Nowata ....as is Julina ....


Rosa Turner Dean
Courtesy of Lloydine

* * * *


Check from First State Bank
Alluwe Oklahoma
dated March 6, 1925
Courtesy of Charlie Neel,
July 30, 2007


Alluwe Mercantile Co.
Genl. Merchandise
Flour - Feed
Courtesy of Charlie Neel, August 2, 2007

+ + + +


Old Alluwe Map

"LIGHTNING CREEK" ALLUWE, OKLAHOMA 1950s MAP


LEGEND OF LIGHTNING CREEK, ALLUWE OKLAHOMA 1950s MAP

The person who was responsible for this NEW 1950's Map and it's legend wants to remain anonymous. But this person wished to Thank the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, Tulsa and Oologah Offices, and all of the other people who helped out, which he fondly refers to as the "Bulldod Coalitions." The legend is the names of residence whom land was purchased so names are accurate. All rights reserved.

Legend of the NEW 1950 Lightning Creek Map, HOME OWNERS
1. Elmer Lord
2. Sam Leffler
3. Chief Journeycake
4. Blythe Dunn, later Burt Hart
5. Charlie Roberts
6. Red Taylor Garage
7. Baseball Field
8. Grandma Dean
9. Bob Lee Grocery, later Claude Faubion Store
10. Granny Ice
11. Alluwe School District 50 "Home of the Bulldogs"
12. School Superintendents home; G. C. Littlejohn and E. B. Wilson
13. McGuire and Telephone Office
14. Dr. C. K. Cassell
15. Marquardt
16. J. R. Lyons
17. Mabel Burris
18. Bert R. Casto
19. Ernest S. Shipp
20. Church of God
21. Billye Blanke
22. D. A. Link
23. Old Blacksmith Shop
24. Methodish Church
25. Lonnie McKee
26. J. D. Overfelt
27. Alluwe Post Office
28. Loyd Pace Grocery
29. Alluwe Laundry
30. Alluwe Cafe
31. Mutt Smith Grocery
32. Virgie Bullen
33. D. A. Coble
34. Grace Overfelt
35. Beulah Pace
36. Laura Stoneman Catlin
37. Margaret Patterson Calvert
38. Claud Dean
39. Clara Edmondson
40. J. W. Denton
41. E. A. Taylor
42. A. H. Taylor
43. Eliza Triplett
44. Clint Canon
45. Maynard Stanart
46. Roy George Conner
47. Logan Sutherland
48. J. E. Magness
49. Vinie Copeland
50. D. R. Magness
51. Earl Jordan
52. A. L. Reed
53. A. L. Reed
54. Virgie Bullen
55. John David
56. Mortimer Store Site
57. Ezra Neal
58. Old Barbar Shop
59. Loyd Pace
60. Howard Stanart
61. Alluwe Garage
62. P. W. Fusselman
63. Reed Lumber Company
64. Phillip Fink
65. Elmer Nichols
66. Missionary Baptist Church
67. Henry Allison
68. John Allison
69. Floyd Jordan
70. Fred Woolman
71. Henry Brooks
72. Mary Denton

"Lightning Creek 1950's Map and Legend, Alluwe Oklahoma" Copyright 2012by Sharlee Farrell Nowata County Coordinator, April 15, 2012. This copy contributed for use in the Nowata Historical Society. Copyright.

The town of Alluwe was founded by the Delaware Indians in 1869 and was first called "Lightning Creek." The name was changed to Alluwe in 1883. The word Alluwe means something better or superior in the Delaware language.

If you have a written history of Alluwe, or if you have other resources for the town of Alluwe, and would like to share them with other researchers, e-mail me at farrellmacmt@yahoo.com and I will add them to this web site.

Return to Nowata County GenWeb

You are the 6274 visitor to this page since July 28, 2007.

This page was last updated Friday, 21-Mar-2014 14:57:51 MDT by Sharlee Farrell.