"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: Avoca #1 at present site of Asher; Avoca
#2 located 2 miles north of Asher
A town started at the location of a well-known watering
place and camp-ground, known for many years before as “Wewaukee Springs”.
Originally they had applied for the name of Wewaukee Springs, but it was
refused because it was so much like “Wewoka”. The first postmaster
was Joseph E. Sheets. Without warning, the postmaster silently moved
his store and took his Post Office along with him to nearby Asher in 1901,
two miles south of Avoca. From November 26, 1901 to February 10,
1902, Avoca had no post office. James K. Polk was named as Postmaster.
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|