"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: 6 miles southwest of Tecumseh
Mr. Brown was the owner of the famous “Red Apple Fruit Farm” in this Brinton township community. George Brown came here in a covered wagon pulled by a team of Arkansas steers, built his 16 by 18 foot log cabin with the kitchen, parlor, bedroom, store and Post Office all in the same. Dr. Forston was the first doctor here before he moved on to Tecumseh. Lydia J. Rogers* taught school here as did the later Florence Ramsey and Cora Grimmwood. Oscar Brown, brother of the founder of the town, was a farmer living nearby. O. W. Grimmwood first came to Brown in 1893 and lived on a farm south of town, and was later a partner with A. B. Ramsey. Owen Carpenter was a blacksmith in Brown. At one time there were two large stores, a cotton gin, and an undertaking parlor. Other doctors were: Dr. Holcomb and Dr. Williamson. Solomon Cooley came to the Brown community in 1903. His son, Odie, taught school for many years in nine rural schools. Stephen D. Heal had the largest barn in the county in 1898. Brown was known as the "twin city" of Pink.
*Lydia J. Rogers was the first curator of the Pott County Historical
Society Museum located in the Friends (Quaker) Church.
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|