"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: 4 miles west and 1 mile north of Macomb
The first postmaster was John T. Peyton; the second, Jefferson
Davis Castleman and the third William Wesselhoft. Wesselhoft was
a native German who came here with William “Dutch Bill” Griffenstein from
Wichita, Kansas. Both men had married into the Potawatomi Indian tribe
and had come to live on their wife’s allotments. The town of Burnett
was actually founded by Griffenstein, a German born licensed Indian Trader,
who had started the first store. His wife, Catherine Burnett, was the daughter
of Abram Burnett, Chief of the Potawatomi tribe in Kansas, who was a 240
pound, giant of a man, and a monument was erected in his honor in Kansas.
At one time, Griffenstein and his son ran over 1000 registered horses on
his ranch that adjoined his palatial edifice home, and the town was actually
the largest in the county when County “B” was opened to homesteads in 1891.
Griffenstein was the founder of Wichita, Kansas, and was later Mayor of
that city and a bank director of one of the large banks there. Obe McGeehee
taught school in Burnett in 1903. Dr. Holloway came to Burnett shortly
after Dr. Walker in about 1897, as did Dr. J. L. Barden. There were three
saloons in Burnett. One owned by Joe Pitman and his partner Ed Button.
Dr. Wedn came to the county in 1885, was first a “horse” doctor before
he was a “people” doctor. The town of Burnett literally "moved away," most
of the people going to Macomb, others to Tribbey as the railroad failed
to come through the town.
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|