"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: about 8 1/2 miles east of Keokuk Falls
and south of the North Canadian River
Grocery store at Econtuchka, Oklahoma
History written by Bill Moran:
The word "Econtuchka" is a Seminole indian word meaning "the line," as it was built on the line dividing the Seminole and Potawatomi Indian tribes.
All the territory embraced in Pottawatomie county south of the North Canadian river was originally a part of the Seminole reservation and was later bought from them by the Federal government and ceded to Potawatomie and Shawnee tribes and it was this strip of land from which Econtuchka community was made. Econtuchka was located on the main road between Old Shawneetown and Keokuk Falls. People traveling between these two points stopped over night at Econtuchka, and there were many a tragic and interesting happenings which occured. It was a rendezvous for many an outlaw band.
Although the original town started about a mile east of the Seminole Nation on September 15, 1885, the town was moved just inside Pottawatomie county in 1899. Samuel Clay came first to Pottawatomie county in 1878 and started an early day trading post with a partner named D.C. Blossom at Shawneetown. He then made the run in 1891 and established a store in Econtuchka. Families living near the town about the turn of the century were: William B. Giles, John H. Watkins, F.B. Reed, W.H. Mead, Mattie Stanley, Farnk A. Sutherland, Lou Dora Giles, Orlando Regmier, D.S. Warren, and A.L. Hamlin.
E.J. Brown began a trading post at Econtuchka and took on three partners in a short while as his business was developing rapidly. The new partners were Mart Robinson, Sam Clay and a man by the name of Clark. These three furnished the capital, and with E.J. Brown's business ability they made one of the finest trading posts in the country. Their system of trade was called the "honor trade," that is, men bought from them on their "honor" and paid them in cattle. The cattle were then "shipped" or driven to Kansas City to market.
The Indians who were given allotments in Econtuchka community were George Clark, Frank Bazhaw, Joe Regner, Mary Clark, Long Tom Washington, Casper Alfrod, Thomas "Wild Pole Cat" Alford and Oleo Clay.
At this time the Indian children were sent to the Indian mission at old Shawneetown.
Then came the white settlers. Among the first were: Joseph Orr, Jake Bender, J.M. States, George McKibben, Press Early, Kelly Brothers, Pell Brothers, and Clay Roper.
The main part of the Econtuchka school district was included in the Valley View District # 9 1/2.
The first school was built in Econtuchka in 1895. Frank Bazhaw was the teacher. He had an enrollment of about 18 pupils who lived near Econtuchka. He was paid partially by the county and partially by subscription. Mrs. Edith Burns, pioneer teacher of Pottawatomie county was the first teacher to start 4H Club work in the community. Outstanding 4H club members wer Frankie Kubicek, Jr. and Tim Taber, Jr. The first postmaster was Dora Giles.
The mail was brought through Econtuchka once a day in a buckboard on its way from Red Rock to Old Shawneetown. E.J. Brown had charge of the postoffice. The people of Econtuchka received medical aid from Dr. Fipps who had a little house with all his drug supply at Econtuchka. Later Dr. J.E. Walker took over Dr. Fipps's practice.
The first bridge was built over the Canadian River in the community in 1902. The Land Mark Baptist Church was organized in 1920. Ed McMoran, Pearl Mansell, Dave Michael and Hansen Walters labored faithfully for the building of the church. The first pastor was Webb Goodnight.
Many white settlers helped to build and improve Econtuchka and the surrounding area: George Robertson, J.M. Robertson, H.T. Holik, J.S. Logan, W.L. Smith, George Kuykendall, H.M. Mansell, the McCoys, Tom & Bob Franks, H.S. Briggs, Frank Kubicek, Eugene Swearingen, T.E. Taber, Ike Taber, Louis Bankhead, Ed McMoran, L.D. Latelle and Charles Miller, to name a few.
from "Pottawatomie County Oklahoma History" complied and edited by Pottawatomie
County History Book Committee, published by Country Lane Press, Claremore,
Oklahoma, 1987, pp.3738)