"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: 5 miles west of Asher
The name of the town was changed to Clardyville, February
25, 1875. Josuah Clardy was a “Citizen Potawatomi” who settled on
his allotment. He later returned to Kansas and became a newspaperman.
On April 25, 1876, the town moved the houses, store buildings and all,
about four miles west and changed the name of the Post Office again.
This time it was named “Oberlin” with Mary A. Trousdale as the new postmaster.
William B. Trousdale was elected sheriff of the county in 1894. On
July 18, 1881, the migratory town moved again, right on top of the
community and school of Pleasant Prairie and absorbed it. They also
changed the name of the Post Office to “Wagoza” with John Clinton as the
Postmaster. Thomas Wildcat Alford was the teacher at Wagoza School
in November 1882, soon after he graduated from Hampton Institute in the
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|