"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: 4 miles northwest of Asher
The town of Adell was originally one mile north and
one mile east of the plat of Jefferson. Adell had only one store
owned by Will Haney, the first postmaster there. In 1896 when several
stores opened in nearby Jefferson, in anticipation of a railroad coming
through, Will Haney moved his store and building down to and within the
city limits of Jefferson. He also brought with him his Post Office
of Adell, apparently without ever notifying authorities in Washington.
In the new town of Jefferson, Haney still kept the name of the Post Office
as Adell. So, in reality, under our rules and premise of a town,
there was a “town within a town”. A bank, store with a millinery
shop, blacksmith, cotton gin, grist mill and sawmill made up the town.
Sam and T. A. Bill Eatherly owned the saloon. Jeff McColgan
was Deputy Sheriff in about 1900. Several years later when he was
sheriff, Bill Eatherly was his Deputy.
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|