"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: 7 miles northwest of Shawnee
The first postmaster was George A. Newsom; the second postmaster was John King, followed by Ransom B. Kennedy. John King and Thomas Wildcat Alford were the first two young Indians sent away to school to learn the white man's ways, going to Hampton Institute in 1879. The town, which later became Dale moved to be close to the C.O. & G. railroad which came through in 1894.
Galloping horses, their sleek sides heaving, once spun dust clouds out of the King (Dale) bottoms as they raced before a stagecoach, which brought passengers from Oklahoma City.
Founded in 1890, this tiny settlement waas a stopover on the stagecoach route which extended from Oklahoma City to FortSmith, Arkansas. R.B. Kennedy first to build his home in King, had a general store in which the post office was located.
The community thrived with a blacksmith shop, sawmill,
a saloon, Andrew's Hotel run by John Brusha, Durham and Parlier Store,
and Dr. Bartow, M.D.
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|