"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: about 5 miles south of present Tecumseh
on the Little River
McDonald started his trading post in a log cabin. This store was about nine miles north and two miles east of the old Seminole Agency. At the time Mac Town started it was the only town in the county. Most of the families living near Mac Town were Absentee Shawnees as the Potawatomi did not begin their migration to the county until the spring of 1871. There were also a few scattered Creeks and a few Seminoles that had not removed to their new nation to the east.
Families known to have lived near Mac Town included:
Robert Deer spoke English fluently and later was an
interpreter for the government for the Absentee Shawnee for many years.
Deer Creek was named for this Indian family.
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|