Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: on the Seminole-Pottawatomie County line, east
The town remained a one store country town until 1902
when the railroad began definite surveys through there. Sam Sellers
and Tom Truscott had the first Livery stable; W.R. Holden had a general
store as did Bob Spencer. Marks Miller had a Dry Goods store.
Alpheus M. Tribbey, namesake of Tribbey, Oklahoma, along with his oldest
son, Thomas, started the first drug store. Kyan had the first blacksmith
shop, coming from Avoca. J.K. Polk
Lute and Keech Ogee came to this area in 1896. Lute's father made coffins and stored them in his barn. Lute inherited the business and became Maud's first undertaker. Keech was the second Postmaster in Maud.
Maud was the first "west town" on the new railroad which
ran into Indian Territory. The town boasted
There was a fence built down the center of Broadway to separate Oklahoma and Indian territories with a gate at King Street. Indians were not allowed in Oklahoma Territory so they stood at the corner of Main and Broadway and waited their turn to buy liquor from the "runners" of the saloons.
In 1903, Maud's first newspaper, the MAUD MONITOR, was established by Jack Carpenter. It had many owners, including F.C. Armstrong, Sam Bailey, Theodoric Bailey and Johnny Pierce. In 1928, L.G. Hardy purchased THE MONITOR and changed the name to THE MAUD ENTERPRISE.