"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: 2 miles north of Trousdale
Brooks H. Walker, who made the "run" in 1891, staked his claim in the SE1/4 Sec. 13, T7N, R2E and applied for the post office. The 1900 census gave the town a population of 137. When Newton A. Lamm applied for a town plat, he never took in the original store and Walker's post office. Dr. Jesse Mooney was the first doctor to come to Moral, coming from McGee, Indian Territory, and arriving in the spring of 1897.
The first school class ever held in Moral was a subscription school with Ella C. Mooney, wife of Dr. Jesse Mooney as the first teacher for the 28 enrolled in the class in 1897 at $1.00 per month per student. J.W. Forster, one of thirteen children, settled near Moral. A Mr. Gibson who had lived near town, talked homesteader William M. Shannon, into giving five acres of his land for a cemetery. E.A. and Eliza J. Graham came with their family from the Chickasaw Nation in 1893. Holland F. Stevenson arrived in Moral from southwest Texas with 35 horses. He traded his team of horses and covered wagon for a quarter section claim. Edmond E. and Alonzo A. Stephens were his sons. John MeGeehee, a Civil War veteran for the Union, came to Moral in 1892 and had the last store in town. He was also the last postmaster of Moral. In the early days, other families living near the town were:
Indian allottees nearby were:
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|