"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: about 4 miles north and 2 miles east of
There was a Commissary, a Trading Post store and a Blacksmith's shop, however, the little town never had a post office.
As a result of a tri-party treaty made in Washington,
D.C. on August 7, 1856, the ties of union between the Creeks and the Seminoles
were severed. Those signing for the Seminoles were Chief John Jumper,
Tustenucochee, Pascofar, and James Factor. For the Creeks, those
signing were: Tuckabatchee and Mico, Echo Harjo, Chilly McIntosh, and Daniel
M. McIntosh. For the U.S. Commissioner of Indian Affaairs, was George
W. Manypenney. About half of the Seminole families were removed to
near Ft. Gibson during the Civil War as refugees, while the other half
remained mostly in Pottawatomie County along with a few families of the
Absentee Shawnees. Many Absentee Shawnees went to Kansas for the
duration of the war.
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|