"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: Near Shawnee
This town actually began about 1873. In 1875 Nero Jones, a licensed trader, opened his store at the Shawneetown location. W.L. Austin was the manager of the store for Jones. Fifteen year old Thomas Alford, an Absentee Shawnee Indian, was hired as an interpreter at this store, as most of the customers could not speak English, nor could the store manager speak the language of the Shawnee tribe.
Others associated with Shawneetown:
It is difficult to separate the history of Shawneetown from that of nearby Shawnee Mission. Although they were two towns. The Shawnee Boarding School was supervised by the government through it's Indian Agent at the Sac & Fox Agency and reservation, 35 miles north.
Harriet Patrick, daughter of Colonel Lee Patrick, Indian Agent at the Sac and Fox Agency near Stroud, taught school at the Shawnee Mission Boarding School, then at Shawneetown after teaching at the Sac & Fox Agency School. Jim Thorpe was one of her pupils there.
The old West Shawnee Trail came through Pottawatomie County,
passing the east edge of Shawneetown, from Arkansas City and exiting the
county just north of the extreme southeast corner, cutting across the corner
of the Seminole Indian Nation and continuing southeasterly to Boggy Depot.
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|