Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Tribbey started about a year after the railroad went through in 1903 and was named after Alpheus M. Tribbey who owned and operated the “Tribbey House”, a two story residence and hotel. The town was established February 4, 1905. Also in 1905, the first cotton gin and a saw mill were built by J.W. Forster and his sons.
Old timers recalled that before the area was opened
to white settlement, ruins of old Indian buildings stood for many years,
near Council Springs, just a few miles from Tribby. Charles W. Mooney
identified this area as the place where the Seminole Nation built their
first capital in 1859. After the capital was abandoned, horse thieves
used the area until members of the Anti-Hourse Thief Association ran them
out of town.
In the early days, dirt streets were crammed with farm
wagons loaded with bales of cotton. Buck Coley and his brothers were
known as the best cotton pickers around. The brothers could pick
a small bale (1200 pounds) in one day. Then in 1921, Boll weevils
wreaked havoc and cotton crops and the depression years adversely affected
the townspeople who lost life savings in the Wanette Bank. Times
were hard and some folks did not have enough to eat or wear, but most considered
themselves blessed to have each other and a roof over their heads.
Excerpts adapted from the POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY HISTORY
BOOK contributions of Madge Mitchell and Charles Mooney by Beverly Coley
Mosman in the POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY CENTENNIAL PROGRAM, Sept 2007.)