"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: 7 miles northwest of Asher
The town started soon after the railroad came through in 1903. Several merchants moved their establishments from the nearby town of Moral.
Trousdale contributed the first elected sheriff of Pottawatomie County, W.B. Trousdale, who was sheriff in 1895. A.N. Trousdale, another member of the family, was chairman of the county election board for several years. He was also a merchant in Trousdale for 43 years and the depot agent for the Santa Fe Railroad.
Some Trousdale citizens:
Trousdale school district was consolidated from the old Pioneer School near Moral, the Griffin School, the Greenleaf School, and the Pitman School. In 1957 the citizens of Trousdale voted to annex their school district to Tribbey.
At it's height, Trousdale boasted three rural routes and three train daily serving Henderson, Heshel Box, Centerpoint, Pearson and Avoca. Some of those early day rural mail carriers were:
Oil was discovered in 1950 but was never a major influence on the community. Under the leadership of Mary Robinson, there was an active 4H club. Trousdale had no church buildings, however, the Methodists held meetings for many years at the Community building.
When the post office was closed on June 16, 1967, even
the mail cancellation marker was destroyed.
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|