"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: 2 miles northwest of Konawa
The first postmaster was John Middleton. The little town was located less than 1/2 mile from the boundary of Oklahoma Territory and the Seminole Nation and was know as one of the "most wild and wooly" whiskey towns along that line. The town was officially named Violet but was more commonly called "Violet Spring" and was so named because of the many wild violets that grew around the prominent nearby springs. The town actually was started in 1891 by a man named Perry who was a cattleman and a homesteader nearby. After a few months, A.J. "Andy" Morrison opened the first saloon in the town and started one of the most lurid, sensational, border saloon-town epochs of pre-statehood Oklahoma Territory. Violet experienced lawlessness and crime that will be long remembered. M.F. Bates, an early day homesteader, started his own private family cemetery which still exists. He had an 80 acre apple orchard and 80 acres of peaches. E.B. Price had a blacksmith shop and E.B. Moore ahd the first drugstore. The east edge of the Violet cemetery was the border line of the Seminole Nation, where Governor John F. Brown of the Seminole Nation had installed a barbed wire fence eight strands high. It stretched from the Canadian River north to the North Canadian River. In 1899 a devastating fire almost destroyed the town when every store in town burned. Aaron Braswell, Jesse West, John Hensely, Jim Morrow, Tom Duncan and Abe Ellis, a former Greek peddler, owned saloons in Violet. There were all sorts of daily gang fights, shoot-outs, and bacchic revelry that made lurid history during these frontier days.
Bill Manley owned a barber shop and Frank Morris had the first cotton gin, a Murry Gin, sawmill and grist mill. Alice Morris/Morrison and Mrs. Ed Jones had a millinery shop in town for several years.
During the 1895-1905 period the population of Violet was
about 600 people. The Masons, Modern Woodmen, Knights of Pythias,
and IOOF were all active organizations. A one-room school was built
near Violet Springs, but there was never a church building. On a
few occasions circuit riders held services in the school house.
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|