"Ghost" town of
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Location: 4 miles east and 1 mile south of present-day
Joel Edward "Ed" Cunningham had the first store and was the first postmaster. A second store was started by Rufus L. "Rufe" Howard. He was a well known public auctioneer and wore a red, stubby mustache. Most unusual in all the annals of the county's history, was the fact Rufe Howard rode a trained ostrich to all his auctions and put on demonstrations of a race between him riding his ostrich against all horses and riders. Rufe Howard store was the last to close in 1916. Besides these two stores the town at one time had a cotton gin and grist mill, a drug store, a blacksmith shop, and late in it's history, a 44 box telephone exchange. Henry Hudson lived south of town, and he later owned the ostrich that Rufe Howard rode. Bill Manley owned a barber shop and Frank Morris had the first cotton gin, a Murry Gin, sawmill and grist mil.. Alice Morris/Morrison and Mrs. Ed Jones had a millinery shop in town for several years.
Other citizens were:
|Source: "POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY OKLAHOMA HISTORY" compiled and edited by Pottawatomie County History Book Committee; published by Country Lane Press, Claremore, OK, 1987.|