Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
Located 4 miles west of Asher, this small town had a postoffice from April 25, 1876 - July 18, 1888 and was called OBERLIN (named for Oberlin College in Ohio.) Previous names were Isabella and Clardyville; after Oberlin it became known as Wagoza and then finally Wanette.
The first postmistress was Mary A. Trousdale, wife of Allen Trousdale who came to Pottawatomie County in 1872. He was the father of William B. "Billy" Trousdale who was elected Sheriff of the county in 1894.
photo courtesy of Brad Holt
Wanette Blacksmith Shop
Here is a wonderful site with lots of Wanette history, pictures and other information
BRAD HOLT has been kind enough to give us permission to post some of his collection of Asher/Wanette photos on our website and he has provided a CD to the Genealogy Library of his collection.
Notice--all these links will open in a new window and you can just close them to get back to this page.
To see the many, many items he has click on these links:
Wanette photos are at this link: