Hailey - Ola Coal
The McAlester Fuel Company's Excursion
To view the full size image just click on the image.
Photograph was provided by Mildred Walker, who is the Collections Manager of the Dublin Dr. Pepper Bottling Co. Museum, of Dublin, TX. The photograph which she has provided has been over printed "Souvenir of The McAlester Fuel Companys' (sic) Excursion To the Coal Trade of Texas. It is dated June 27-28, 1905. It was photographed by "Drovar" in So. McAlester, OK. The photograph shows about 150 employees, and across the center, behind a row of men is a sign: "Hailey-Ola Coal" --unreadable--Domestic Lump". The photograph was taken in front of the mine and on the upper portion of the shafthouse is the image of a miner and mule-drawn coal car. They are very interested in obtaining some history of the Hailey-Ola mine and the McAlester Fuel Company.
Mildred Walker, Collections Manager
wording behind the people that is all but indiscernible is 'Haileyville'.
Hailey-Ola Coal Company was founded by Dr Daniel Morris Hailey. They had
mines in Haileyville and Lutie Oklahoma. Haileyville is located just
west of Hartshorne and about 12 miles S.E. of McAlester. Lutie is located on
the East edge of Wilburton, about 35 miles East of McAlester. The
community of Lutie is named after one of Dr. Hailey's daughters.
Additional info supplied by: Steve Defrange
USGenWeb - OKGenWeb - Pittsburg Co. Oklahoma
2164 -visitor --
Updated: 09 Feb 2003
Webmaster Mel Owings
Hosted by Rootsweb.Com