| Fort Cobb (1859-1869) - Established on October 1, 1859, Fort Cobb’s original purpose was to supervise the move of Texas Indians into Oklahoma. Under the guidance of Major W.H. Emory of Fort Arbuckle, the post was built by two companies of the First Cavalry and one company of the First Infantry. Constructed on the high ground east of the present-day town of the same name, the buildings consisted of wood and adobe.|
During the Civil War, the post was occupied by both Confederate and Union forces. After the vast majority of Indians took up with the southern forces, Union troops retreated north into Kansas in May, 1861 and Confederate soldiers took over the post. The post was sacked by Indians in October, 1862, but continued to be held intermittently by Confederate commands until close of Civil War. It was re-garrisoned by Federal soldiers in the Fall of 1868, serving as a post for soldiers during the Indian Wars. General George Armstrong Custer's command was encamped at Fort Cobb from December, 1868 to January, 1869. Shortly afterwards, the fort was abandoned in March, 1869.
|If you have any information on any historical fort's in Oklahoma or any military records from these old forts , or family stories about these forts and would like to share them with our viewers please email the State Administrator and/or the Assistant State Administrator for Oklahoma Old Forts.|
Return To Trails To The Past Forts Project
Return to Historic Oklahoma Forts
Copyright - Trails to the Past - Wednesday, 01-Oct-2014 11:32:35 MDT