Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

BCGS logo
Serving Bruce County Families --past and present

Bruce County Genealogical Society

Box 1083, Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada N0H 2C0

Click to see larger Bruce County map
Home
Membership
Publications
Queries
Newsletter
Research
History
Projects & Events
Links

Kincardine Township

A map of Kincardine Township can be found on the Bruce County GenWeb website. Kincardine Township was named after the Earl of Elgin and Kincardine, who was the Governor General of Canada when the township was surveyed.


Kincardine Township Places

  • Armow - a post office and hamlet on the 7th Concession. The post office originally opened in 1857 under the name Reekie. It reopened in 1869 with the new name Armow. 

    Armow Methodist ChurchArmow Methodist Church, later the Armow Women's Institute

    Armow Methodist Church

    Armow Methodist Church, built 1893

     

    Kincardine Twp HallKincardine's Township Hall was in Armow. It is now a private residence.

    ArmowArmow

     
  • Bervie - a post office and hamlet on the 1st Concession, which was the Durham Road (Highway 9). It was named after a town in Kincardineshire, Scotland. The post office opened on Lot 54 in 1853.

  • Egypt - an early nickname for the part of the 10th Concession east of the 20th side-line.

  • Eskdale - a post office on the townline of Kincardine and Bruce townships. Depending on who the postmaster was, some years it was located in Bruce Township and other years it was located in Kincardine Township.

  • Glamis - see Greenock Township.

  • Kincardine - a village on the shore of Lake Huron, first settled in 1848. The post office was established under the name of Kincardine in 1851, but the village was known as Penetangore until it was incorporated in 1858.

  • Kingarf - a hamlet on the townline of Kincardine and Kinloss Townships.

  • Lorne - a hamlet at Lot 48 of the Lake Range (Concession A).

  • Millarton - a post office and hamlet on the 1st Concession, which was the Durham Road (Highway 9). It was named for  William Millar, who was a township reeve.

  • Penetangore - the early name for the town of Kincardine.

  • Port Head - a post office and hamlet on Lots 32, 33 and 34 of the Lake Range (Concession A). Village lots were surveyed in 1856. The post office opened in 1857. The wharf and storehouse were destroyed in a storm in 1857, and the hamlet rapidly disappeared. The hamlet was also known as Stoney Island.

  • Reekie - a post office and hamlet on the 7th Concession, founded by William Reekie. The post office opened in 1857, and closed in 1868. It reopened in 1869, renamed Armow.

  • Stoney Island - an early hamlet, also known as Port Head.

  • Tiverton - is situated on the boundary of Kincardine and Bruce townships. It was incorporated as a village in 1879.

    TivertonTiverton Tiverton muralTiverton mural
    Tiverton CemeteryTiverton Cemetery  

Kincardine Township Notable People

Robert Baird, born 1832 in Picton, Ontario, arrived in the village of Kincardine in 1855, and became a leading grain merchant. In 1872 he became Warden of Bruce County. The Canadian biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self-made men: Ontario volume contains a biographical sketch of Robert Baird.

James Brown, born in Nova Scotia in 1797, was the first mayor of the village of Kincardine. The Canadian biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self-made men: Ontario volume contains a biographical sketch of James Brown.

Margaret H. Brown, born in 1887, was a missionary in China, and an author. She wrote MacGillivray of Shanghai, a biography of missionary and scholar Donald MacGillivray.

Margaret H BrownMargaret H. Brown MacGillivray of ShanghaiMacGillivray of Shanghai, by Margaret H. Brown
Margaret H Brown tombstoneMargaret H. Brown's tombstone in Tiverton Cemetery  

Andrew Malcolm, born 1840 in Killearn, Scotland, was a Kincardine furniture manufacturer and politician. His biography appears in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.

Rev. Isaac O. Stringer, Anglican Bishop of Selkirk. A biographical sketch can be found at http://justus.anglican.org/resources/pc/canada/bheeney/3/7.html, and a photograph can be viewed at http://justus.anglican.org/resources/pc/images/canada/istringer.jpg.

Lieut-Col Hugh Clark, MPP. Represented Bruce Centre in the Ontario Legislature from 1908 to 1911.

Angus Jonas McLeod, born 1861 in Kincardine, was a Presbyterian minister and school principal in western Canada. His biography appears in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.


Bibliography

Ae' Glint on Ither Days - Tiverton and district by Hilda Downey. Published by the Bruce County Historical Society.

History of the County of Bruce by Norman Robertson, 1906. Available online.

MacGillivray of Shanghai: the life of Donald MacGillivray by Margaret H. Brown, 1968. Amicus No. 15556329

Toil, tears & triumph: a history of Kincardine Township. Wanita Hollands Fletcher, editor; Isabelle Munro, assistant editor. Published by the Kincardine Township Historical Society, 1990. AMICUS No. 9401901


 

Bruce County's Townships (before  1998 amalgamations)

Albemarle Township
Colpoy's Bay United Church, Colpoy's Bay, Albemarle Township, Bruce County

Amabel Township
Wiarton, Amabel Township, Bruce County

Arran Township
Christ Church Anglican Cemetery Record, Tara, Arran Township, Bruce County

Brant Township
Walkerton town clock, Walkerton, Brant Township, Bruce County

Bruce Township
Underwood United Church, Underwood, Bruce Township, Bruce County

Carrick Township
Mildmay church, Mildmay, Carrick Township, Bruce County

Culross Township
Salem United Church, Culross Township, Bruce County

Eastnor Township
Barrow Bay, Eastnor Township, Bruce County

Elderslie Township
Memorial plaque, hamlet of Williscroft, Elderslie Township, Bruce County

Greenock Township
Plaque, village of Pinkerton, Greenock Township, Bruce County

Huron Township
Huron Township Hall, Ripley, Huron Township, Bruce County

Kincardine Township
Mural, village of Tiverton, Kincardine Township, Bruce County

Kinloss Township
South Kinloss Presbyterian Church

Lindsay Township
War Memorial, Lindsay Township, Bruce County

Saugeen Township
Dunblane Presbyterian Church, Saugeen Township, Bruce County

St. Edmunds Township

Lighthouse, Tobermory, St. Edmunds Township, Bruce County
Bruce County Genealogical Society
PO Box 1083, Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada N0H 2C0
Copyright 2003 -2013
brucecgs@yahoo.ca