Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

BCGS logo
Serving Bruce County Families --past and present

Bruce County Genealogical Society

Box 1083, Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada N0H 2C0

Click to see larger Bruce County map
Home
Membership
Publications
Queries
Newsletter
Research
History
Projects & Events
Links

Lindsay Township

A map of Lindsay Township can be found on the Bruce County GenWeb website. Lindsay Township was named after Earl Lindsay.


Lindsay Township Places

Lindsay Twp War Memorial

Lindsay Township War Memorial. For more information, including list of names, see Lindsay Cenotaph.
  • Brinkman's Corners - an early post office, named after brothers Joseph Brinkman and John Brinkman Sr. who homesteaded on lots 35 and 36 of the 4th concession EBR.

  • Cabot Head - its lighthouse was  built in 1896. Named by Governor Simcoe in honour of explorer John Cabot.

  • Cape Chin - its first school, School Section # 3, was built in 1887.

    St Margaret's Anglican Church

    St. Margaret's Anglican Church, near Cape Chin
  • Clarks Corners -  on the 2nd concession WBR at Ira Lake. William Clarke and family homesteaded at lot 1 in the 1870s.

  • Dyers Bay - a post office was opened here in 1881, and Thomas Tindall was the first postmaster.

  • Miller Lake - in the middle of the township. Named for B. B. Miller, first Indian Land Agent at Wiarton. John Witherspoon was the postmaster for many years.


Lindsay Township Notable People

Horace Lymburner and his son Robert built Lindsay Township's first lumber mill at Dyers Bay near Gillies Lake in 1881.

Alexander MacDonald

Alexander MacDonald was a highly regarded reeve of the united townships of Lindsay and St. Edmunds from 1887 to 1900. He arrived in Lindsay from Huron Township in 1877. In 1879 he was responsible for  establishing, on land he provided on the first concession, both St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church and School Section #1 School.

 

 


Bibliography

The Bruce Beckons by W. Sherwood Fox, 1952. Amicus # 5609962

Cabot Head Lighthouse

History of the County of Bruce by Norman Robertson, 1906. Available online.

"We Will Remember" War Monuments in Canada website, Lindsay Cenotaph.

Proud people: the Lindsay Township history book, compiled by the Lindsay Township Historical Society, 1987. Amicus # 7697855


 

Bruce County's Townships (before  1998 amalgamations)

Albemarle Township
Colpoy's Bay United Church, Colpoy's Bay, Albemarle Township, Bruce County

Amabel Township
Wiarton, Amabel Township, Bruce County

Arran Township
Christ Church Anglican Cemetery Record, Tara, Arran Township, Bruce County

Brant Township
Walkerton town clock, Walkerton, Brant Township, Bruce County

Bruce Township
Underwood United Church, Underwood, Bruce Township, Bruce County

Carrick Township
Mildmay church, Mildmay, Carrick Township, Bruce County

Culross Township
Salem United Church, Culross Township, Bruce County

Eastnor Township
Barrow Bay, Eastnor Township, Bruce County

Elderslie Township
Memorial plaque, hamlet of Williscroft, Elderslie Township, Bruce County

Greenock Township
Plaque, village of Pinkerton, Greenock Township, Bruce County

Huron Township
Huron Township Hall, Ripley, Huron Township, Bruce County

Kincardine Township
Mural, village of Tiverton, Kincardine Township, Bruce County

Kinloss Township
South Kinloss Presbyterian Church

Lindsay Township
War Memorial, Lindsay Township, Bruce County

Saugeen Township
Dunblane Presbyterian Church, Saugeen Township, Bruce County

St. Edmunds Township

Lighthouse, Tobermory, St. Edmunds Township, Bruce County
Bruce County Genealogical Society
PO Box 1083, Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada N0H 2C0
Copyright 2003 -2013
brucecgs@yahoo.ca