Brant Logo

The Ontario Institute for the Education of the Blind

Currently called the W. Ross McDonald, this facility was opened in 1872. In 1913 the name was changed to The Ontario School for the Blind and in 1972 to the current name.

In about 1979, Mrs. Margaret Chandler, a teacher at the school , documented the history of the school in her book, A Century of Challenge. in it, she has included an April 5th 1872 Brantford Expositor news paper article, which gives the details, of the building's design and construction.

Originally, the school, was a farm school, and was therefore situated on 65 acres of land, which were farmed, by both staff and students. accordingly, there were farm buildings; including barns, and horse stables, which were built of the same white brick.

 

Information provided by David O'Reilly

 

Mailbox

 

If you have problems, please email the Brant County Coordinator

Return to Home Page

Graphics and Page Design copyrighted 1999, 2000 by Vikki Gray for the benefit of the Canadian GenWeb Project. All rights reserved.