Carleton County GenWeb, Ontario

OntarioGenWeb > Carleton County GenWeb > Municipal / Administrative History
Carleton County GenWeb
Municipal / Administrative History

Return to Top


Territory - Province: 1667 - 1867

This section indicates how the lands in Carleton and Russell Counties changed hands and names over a 200-year period.

1667 - New France (French)
1763 - Quebec (British) and Indian Country (not for settlement by Europeans)
1774 - Quebec
1791 - Upper Canada
1840 - Province of Canada. Canada West was commonly used to designate the western part of the Province of Canada.
1867 - Ontario (province)

Source: Territorial Evolution of Canada [map], 2nd ed., 1969 (MCR 2306)

Return to Top


Districts: 1788 - 1850

Districts not relevant to the area covered by Carleton County GenWeb are not followed. Those names are shown in italics.

1788 - Lune[n]burg District created.
1792 - Lune[n]burg District changed to Eastern District.
1798 - Eastern District split into Eastern District and Johnstown District.
1816 - Eastern District split into Eastern District and Ottawa District.
1822 - Johnstown District split into Johnstown District and Bathurst District.
1838 - Ottawa District retains its name. Bathurst District split into Bathurst District and Dalhousie District.
1850 - All Districts, including Ottawa District and Dalhousie District are abolished. Counties replace Districts as the new level of land division.

Return to Top


Counties: 1800 - present

Names not relevant to the area covered by Carleton County GenWeb are not followed. Those names are shown in italics.

1800 - Carleton County created. Includes the townships of Nepean, other lands between Nepean, Crosby township, and the Ottawa River, as well as islands in the Ottawa River entirely or mostly opposite the new county. Russell County proclaimed and includes the townships of Cambridge, Clarence, Cumberland, Gloucester, Osgoode, and Russell.

1821 - Carleton County includes the townships of Bathurst, Beckwith, Dalhousie, Drummond, Gouldburn [sic], Huntly [sic], Lanark, March, Ramsay, Sherbrooke North, Sherbrooke South, and other lands lying within the limits of the county.

1822 - Carleton County now in Bathurst District.

1824 - Carleton County includes the townships of Fitzroy, Goulbourne [sic], Huntley, March, Nepean, Pakenham, Torbolton, and islands in the Ottawa River entirely or mostly opposite the county.

1838 - Carleton County (in Dalhousie District) includes the townships of Fitzroy, Gloucester, Goulbourn, Huntley, March, Marlborough, Nepean, North Gower, Osgoode, Torbolton, and islands in the Ottawa River entirely or mostly opposite the county. The townships of Gloucester and Osgoode were detached from Russell County to become part of Carleton County.

1845 - Carleton County includes the townships of Fitzroy, Gloucester, Goulbourn, Huntley, March, Marlborough, Nepean, North Gower, Osgoode, and Torbolton. Bytown (Town) is also included with certain provisos. Russell County includes the townships of Cambridge, Clarence, Cumberland, and Russell.

1846 - Carleton County includes the townships of Fitzroy, Gloucester, Goulbourn, Huntley, March, Marlborough, Nepean, Osgoode, and Torbolton. Only the portion of North Gower on the north side of the Rideau River is included. Bytown (Town) is also included with certain provisos.

1852 - Carleton County includes the townships of Fitzroy, Glooucester, Goulbourn, Gower North [sic], Huntley, March, Marlborough, Nepean, Osgoode, and Torbolton. Russell County includes Cambridge, Clarence, Cumberland, and Russell townships.

1969 - Carleton County dissolved. Ottawa-Carleton (Regional Municipality) replaces the old Carleton County and takes in Cumberland Township from Russell County.

Return to Top


Regional Municipality

1969 - Ottawa-Carleton (Regional Municipality) established. Within its limits are the cities of Ottawa and Vanier, the villages of Richmond, Rockcliffe Park, and Stittsville, and the municipal townships of Cumberland, Fitzroy, Gloucester, Goulbourn, Huntley, March, Marlborough, Nepean, North Gower, Osgoode, and Torbolton.

2001 - Ottawa-Carleton (Regional Municipality) dissolved. Ottawa (City) is enlarged to the same limits as the former Regional Municipality.

Return to Top


Townships

Unless otherwise stated, these are Municipal Townships.

1850 - Fitzroy, Gloucester, Goulbourn, March, Marlborough, Nepean, North Gower, Osgoode, and Torbolton townships incorporated.
1851 - Cumberland (Township) incorporated.
1852 - Torbolton (Township) incorporated - again.
1969 - Cumberland (Township) is withdrawn from Russell County to become part of Ottawa-Carleton (Regional Municipality).
1974 - Goulbourn (Township), and the villages of Richmond and Stittsville amalgamate as Goulbourn (Township).The townships of Fitzroy, Huntley, and Torbolton amalgamate as West Carleton (Township). The townships of North Gower and Marlborough, along with pieces from the townships of Gloucester, Nepean, and Osgoode, amalgamate as Rideau (Township).
2001 - The townships of Goulbourn, Osgoode, Rideau, and West Carleton are dissolved with the creation of the new Ottawa (City).

Return to Top


Cities

1855 - Bytown (Town) changed to Ottawa and is incorporated as a City.
1963 - Eastview (Town) incorporated as a City.
1969 - Eastview (City) changes its name to Vanier (City).
1978 - Hazeldean-March (City) established from parts of the townships of Goulbourn and Nepean. Name changed to Kanata before the official establishment date of the new city. Nepean (Township) becomes a city.
1981 - Gloucester (Township) becomes a city.
1999 - Cumberland (Township) becomes a city.
2001 - The cities of Cumberland, Gloucester, Kanata, Nepean, Ottawa, and Vanier amalgamate as the new Ottawa (City). Limits of new city are the same as the former Ottawa-Carleton (Regional Municipality).

Return to Top


Towns

1848 - Bytown incorporated.
1849 - Bytown incorporation disallowed.
1850 - Bytown incorporated.
1913 - Janeville (Village) incorporated as Eastview (Town).

Return to Top


Other

1850 - Richmond (Village) incorporated.
1867 - New Edinburgh (Village) incorporated.
1887 - New Edinburgh (Village) annexed to Ottawa (City).
1888 - Area known as Archville incorporated as Ottawa East (Village).
1893 - Hintonburgh (Village) incorporated.
1898 - Metcalfe (Police Village) incorporated.
1903 - Manotick (Police Village) incorporated.
1905 - Police Villages of Rideauville, Westboro, and North Gower incorporated.
1907 - Hintonburgh (Village) and Rideauville (Police Village) annexed to Ottawa (City).
1908 - Rockcliffe Park (Police Village) and Vars (Police Village) incorporated. Janeville incorporated as a Village.
1910 - Police Villages of Cumberland, Kenmore, and Osgoode Station are incorporated.
1911 - Sarsfield (Police Village) incorporated.
1912 - Ottawa West (Police Village) incorporated.
1922 - Overbrook (Police Village) and St. Joseph d'Orleans (Police Village) were incorporated.
1925 - Rockcliffe Park (Police Village) incorporated as a Village.
1929 - Navan (Police Village) incorporated.
1939 - Hampton Park (Police Village) incorporated.
1949 - Hampton Park (Police Village), Ottawa West (Police Village), and Westboro (Police Village) were annexed to Ottawa (City).
1950 - Overbrook (Police Village) annexed to Ottawa (City).
1955 - City View (Police Village) incorporated.
1956 - Stittsville (Police Village) incorporated.
1961 - Stittsville (Police Village) incorporated as a Village.
1974 - Police Villages of City View, Cumberland, Kenmore, Manotick, Metcalfe, North Gower, Osgoode Station, St. Joseph d'Orleans, Sarsfield, and Vars dissolved.

2001 - Rockcliffe Park (Village) amalgamates with other municipalities to form the new Ottawa (City).

Return to Top


Sources for Districts to Other

  • Canadian Geographical Names Data Base
  • "A Statutory Chronology of Eastern Ontario, 1788 - 1981" by Thomas A. Hillman in Canadian Papers in Rural History (Vol. IV, 1984)

Return to Top

Carleton County GenWeb 1998-
This site is part of OntarioGenWeb
Loading