Source: Archives of Ontario - N258 Reel #43
This page is still under construction. I will be adding more obituaries as I go through the newspaper. If you would like to add an obituary, please email me and I will add it to my page
Allen -The many friends of the family in this community learned with
deep sorrow of the death on Friday last of Mr. William Allen.
The sad event occurred at his late home on Sarah St. after an illness of fourteen years. While failing in health Mr. Allen had been able to be up and about until eighteen months ago, when his condition necessitated a severe operation. A second operation followed four months later. His suffering was borne with great fortitude and patience. Everything humanly possible was done to relieve his suffering both by his physicians and by nursing. Deceased, who was in his 43rd year, was the eldest son of the late David Allen and a nephew of the late Richard Allen, of Mono. He farmed in Mono until his health failed him and then moved to town.
The late Mr. Allen was a kindly man and was always willing to do good turn whenever an opportunity offered. He was a loving and devoted husband and father, whose loss will be very keenly felt by the members of his family. His death is mourned by his widow, formerly Miss Gertrude McKibbon, eldest daughter of Mr. Edward McKibbon, three sons, Kenneth, Rudolph and Eddie, and three daughters, Wilhelmine, Evelyn and Inez, the last named a babe of two years, and a little niece, Edna McKibbon, all at home. He also leaves two brothers James and David Allen, of Owen Sound.
The funeral, which was largely attended, was held from his late residence to Greenwood cemetery on Sunday afternoon, Rev. I.B. Kaine, of Orangeville, and Rev. Argyle Campbell, of Shelburne, conducting the services. During the service at the house Mr. .M. Ellis and Mr. W.A. Clowes sang. The hymns used were "Asleep in Jesus" and " Safe in the Arms of Jesus". The remains were borne to their last resting place by Messrs. W.A. Donaldson, Wilson G. Duke, Jno. Meek, Geo. Woods, Dolson Adair and Albert Neil. The floral tributes were: Pillow, the Wife and Grandpa; wreath, the family, and sprays, Mr. and Mrs. Robt. McKibbon and family; Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Langtree and family; Mr. and Mrs. Jerry McKinney and family; Mr. and Mrs. Dawson Gray; Mr. and Mrs. Jno. E. McKibbon; Mrs. W. and Mr. W.B. Fairbairn; Mr. Robt. Reynolds; Mrs. Russell McKibbon; Mrs. Reveria Grenard and Mr. and Mrs. James Allen. Friends from a distance were: Mr. Jerry McKibbon and Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Hansford, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Harrison, Mr. Richard Harrison sr., Mr. and Mrs. Harry Irwin, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Scott, Mrs. Thos. Wiley, Mrs. Reveria Grenard, Mr. Wm E. McKibbon, Mr. L. Liggett, Mr. and Mrs. Jno. Jas. McKibbon and daughters, lice and Mary, Mrs. Minnie Bennett and Mr. Chas. McCartney, Toronto; Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Allen and Mr. and Mrs. Potter, Owen Sound; Mr. and Mrs. Langtree and son, Lawrence, Fergus; Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Atwood, Mr. and Mrs. Jno. McKibbon, Mrs. Jno. Wm. McKibbon and Mrs. Wm. Tindle, Shelburne.
top of page
June 14,p.4:Mrs. James Boyle -It is our sad duty to chronicle the death of Mrs. James Boyle, whose demise took place at her home in Mono, on May 18th, after a lingering illness. Deceased was in her 62nd year, and is survived by her husband, five sisters and two brothers, and one stepdaughter, who mourn the loss of a loved one, namely: Mrs. T. McCutcheon, Calgary; Will, of Whitfield; Mrs. John Lloyd, Mrs. George Boyle, Mrs Henry Lloyd, Amos and Miss Georgina Dorsey of Kilgorie, and Mrs. Thomas Lloyd, of Beach Valley. The funeral was held on Monday, May 21, to Whitfield cemetery, and was largely attended by those who knew her, the service being conducted by her paster, Rev. Mr. Grey, of Rosemont, assisted by Rev. Mr. Williams, rector of Horning's Mills Anglican church. Floral tributes included: Pillow, from husband; wreath- Mrs. Amos and Miss Georgina Dorsey, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Boyle, Mr. and Mrs. R. Cowling, Mr. and Mrs. T. White, Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Irwin, Mr. and Mrs T. Lloyd, Mr. and Mr. Will Hughson, Mr and Mrs. Geo. Armen. The flowerbearers were: Mrs. R. Cowling, Miss L. Mason, Miss Lena Hughson, Miss Goldie Boyle, Miss Hazel Fines, Mrs. O. Irwin, Miss Grace Lloyd. The ppallbearers were: Ray Morby, Henry Lloyd, Elgin Sawden, Albert mason, John Lloyd and Clifford Lloyd. Friends from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. M.I. Lawson and Mrs. I L. Lawson, of Elmvale; Mr. and Mrs. W. Hughson, of Alliston; Mr. and Mrs. Albert Sawden and family, Mr. and Mrs. David Fines and Hazel, Mr. Albert and Miss L. Mason, of Caledon - Economist.
top of page
Dodds: The death of William John Dodds, an old and widely known resident
of this district, took place at his late residence, the Dodds homestead on the
5th line, east, Mono, Tuesday July 31st. The end came after a lengthy period
of indifferent health, although, Mr. Dodds had been much better the early part
of this summer than for some time previously.
The son of George Dodds and Ann Bullock, early pioneer settlers, who took up their bode in Mono as far back as 1826, just one hundred and two years ago. The subject of our sketch was born in 1841 and was therefore 87 years of age when overtaken by death. In 1875 he married Miss Sarah Ann Patterson, daughter of William and Elizabeth Patterson, of Mono Township.
Mr. Dodds was a staunch Presbyterian and old member of Mono East Presbyterian church, in which he was an elder for upwards of fifty years. He took a keen interest in his church and was at all times ready to give freely of his time and energy for its welfare. Of late years Mr. Dodds had been an ardent supporter of the United Church. In his home life he was a kind husband and an affectionate father, devoted to his home and well-being of his family and at not time was he happier than at his own fireside in the midst of the members of his household. As a neighbor he was kindly and sympathetic and enjoyed the respect and confidence of the community to a marked extent.
Mr. Dodds took a live interest in public affairs, whether local or general and was a keen observer of national events. In politics he was a staunch Liberal and had been a regular reader of the Toronto Globe, from the time it was first issued as a weekly newspaper. He is survived by his widow, a sister, Mrs. James Hollinger, Grenadier Road, Toronto, who is 91 years of age, five daughters, Mrs. Wilson Huston, Orangeville, Mrs. Edward Holmes, Caledon, Mrs. O. L. Robb and Mrs. J.S. Nicholls, Toronto, and Mrs. W.B. Sproule, Shelburne, and five sons, James Calvin and Milton O. Dodds, on the homestead, G. Lorne and Ernest Dodds, of Mono, and W.P. Dodds, East Garafraxa. To the aged widow and the family the sympathy of a large circle of friends is tendered in their time of sorrow.
A large number of friends and neighbors attended the funeral, which was held to the Forest Lawn Cemetery on Thursday afternoon, August 2nd. The pallbearers were six nephews, John Miller and Geo. Hamilton, Tottenham, James Dodds, Primrose, and Geo. Bell, Geo. Livingstone and James R. Hollinger, Toronto. Four of the grandsons were pallbearers.
top of page
H. Hanna -An outstanding figure in the history of Albion Township passed
away on Monday morning in the person of Thomas H. Hanna. Mr. Hanna had been
ill for some months.
He was born on the second line of Albion 72 years ago and resided all his life on the farm on which he was born. His father, William Hanna, was one of the pioneers of the district.
The late Mr. Hanna was a life-long member of St. James' Anglican Church, Caledon East, in which he was an officeholder for many years. In politics he was a Conservative and on more than one occasion his name was prominently mentioned as a possible candidate for parliamentary honors. He also took a lively interest for more than half a century in the Orange Order; in his home Lodge, Sand Hill, No. 184, he had held nearly every office and in the District and County Associations he also took a prominent part.
In municipal affairs Mr. Hanna also served his township for many years as councilor and reeve, and the county as warden for one term. For a long period he also discharged the duties of a Justice of the Peace with credit to the office and to himself. It may truly be said that few men devoted more time and energy to public affairs with better effect than Mr. Hanna. He is survived by his wife, Eliz McInees, four daughters, Mrs. Fred Knox, Mrs. McKay, Mr. K Heard, all of Toronto and Miss Margaret Hanna, Albion, and three sons, John, Albion; William and Oliver, Toronto; also two sisters, both living in Toronto, Mrs. Margaret Hanna and Mrs. Henry Bracken. The funeral took place Wednesday afternoon to Providence cemetery - Bolton Enterprise.
top of page
T.H. Hewitt -It was with general regret that the news was received of
the passing on Sunday evening of Mr. Thomas Henry Hewitt, who passed away at
his home at Waldemar on Sunday evening last, after a comparatively short illness.
The deceased was taken ill just week previous to his death, high blood pressure and hardening of the arteries being the cause of his demise. The late Mr. Hewitt, who was in his 60th year, was born on the 14th line, East Garafraxa, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Hewitt. At the early age of three years he moved with his parents to lot 10, 17th line East Garafraxa In later years he became associated with the C.P.R. and for the past 25 years had been employed as section foreman, thirteen on the Grand Valley section, and for the past eight years at Waldemar. While section Forman here he lived in the village prior to going to Waldemar He was highly thought of in his own neighborhood and his passing is sincerely regretted. He is survived by his widow, who was a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Maxwell, and two sons, Cyril and Harvey and two daughters, Eunice and Marguerite, all at home. He is also survived by one brother, Robt. Hewitt, of Waldemar, and one sister, Mrs. Thos. Langtree, of Laurel.
Deceased was a member of the Anglican church, a member of Grand Valley I.O.O.F. and Canadian Order of Foresters, as well as a member of Gore L.O.L. No. 22 The Maples. Following service at the late home on Tuesday afternoon of this week, interment took place in Grand Valley Union Cemetery. The bereaved relatives have the sympathy of the community in their sudden bereavement. - Star & Vidette
top of page
H. Lindsay -Mr. Chas. Henry Lindsay, who expired suddenly in the General
Hospital Toronto, Saturday night June 2nd, was a native of Caledon East, and
was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Lindsay, of Caledon East.
Deceased was 38 years of age, and moved to Toronto a few years ago, where he has resided ever since. The remains were brought by motor on Monday afternoon to Caledon East when service was held in the United Church, conduct by Rev. Mr. Bailey, of Toronto, of whose church deceased was a member, assisted by Mr. W.L. Nichol. The hymns sung were "Jesus Lover of My Soul" and "Rock of Ages." Rev. Mr. Bailey preached from the passage, "If a man die, shall he live again." Job, chap. 11, verse 14, from he delivered a most impressive and appropriate discourse. Deceased leaves a widow, one son and two daughters.
The late Mr. Lindsay was a member of Peel Masonic Lodge, Caledon East, and was interred with full Masonic honors in the public cemetery. The following Masonic brethren acted as pallbearers, T.R. Evans, G.A. Evans, Thos. Mashinter, J.H. Moffatt, Walter H. Wilson and John Bracken.
top of page
Little -The late George Little, of Mono, was born near the town of Colooney,
County Sligo, Ireland in the month of July in the year 1803. He emigrated to
Canada in 1832 and immediately afterwards worked for a time as foreman upon
the first sewage drains constructed in Toronto and subsequently upon the Welland
Canal, which was in course of construction about that time. In the year 1836
the emigrant came north to the township of Mono, making the journey from Toronto
on foot and carrying on his back a large pot which was the chief cooking utensil
in his future home. In the same year he was married to a daughter of James Barber,
of Caledon, and the newly married couple settled down to the stern realities
of pioneer life upon the west half of lot 5, Centre Road, Mono, the fine farm
now owned and occupied by Mr. George Leighton. With the following years came
the Mackenzie Rebellion and Mr. Little, in common with other loyal subjects
throughout the country, was commanded to repair to Toronto, there to be ready
to assist in quelling the rebellion. In obedience to the summons, Mr. Little
left his wife and infant child in the little Mono clearing and repaired to the
capital of the Province. However, the trouble was soon over and it was not long
until he was able to return home. As a memento of the stormy times of this period
Mr. Little always retained the rifle which he then used. He was an expert marksman
and with this weapon could bring down with unerring aim the game with which
the woods abounded. The forest then were full of danger for both bears and wolves
were numerous. In one summer Mr. Little shot ten deer and two bears. Neighbors
in those early days were few and far between and Mr. Little frequently journeyed
into Amaranth, Mulmur, Adjala and Caledon to help the settler erect their log
houses. A man named Newton ran a small grist mill in what is now the town of
Orangeville. The mill had no smutter and consequently smut and other rubbish
as well as the wheat was turned into flour.
The first wheat sown by Mr. Little he carried on his back, a bag at a time, from Thos. Buchanan's farm, Lot 15, 4th line, East Mono. Toronto was the chief market for the produce of the farm and he frequently made the trip with a team of oxen. The round trip took almost a week and in winter time provender for the oxen made up a good part of the load. In 1871 Mr. Little moved across the Centre Road to the farm now occupied by Mr. Noah Dunning and in 1876 again moved to the east half lot 25, Centre Road, Mono. His first wife died in 1847 and he was subsequently married to Miss Martha Kemp. After the death of his second wife he was married to Miss Hannah Crombie, of Amaranth, by whom he is survived. Seven of a family also survive, namely, Mrs. Wm. Jackson, of Mono; Mrs. M. Wilkins and Mrs. John Barefoot, or Orangeville,; Mrs. James Carson, St. Vincent; Mrs. Gilbert Carson, Ottawa, and William and George, Prince of Wales Road, Mono. The late Robt. Little, of Mono, and Mrs. John Barefoot, of Garafraxa, are also his sons and daughters. The late Mr. Little was an ardent Orangeman and has been a member of L.O.L. No. 22 Garafraxa, almost since its inception. Many were the anecdotes which he could relate, concerning the meetings of the lodge in Sam Montgomery's house on the B line. He was a staunch Conservative, but nevertheless did not follow his party blindly, but was an earnest thinker upon the questions of the day and advised those about him to think for themselves. One of his doctrines was that there should be more farmers and fewer professional men in Parliament. Being a man of energy as well as integrity, Mr. Little was naturally qualified for municipal office and it is a tribute to his sterling worth that he was a member of Mono Council for seventeen years. He was one of the member of the council of the "four Georges" which for several years guided the affairs of the township. The "Georges" were George Snell, George McManus, George Harshaw and the subject of our sketch, and many electors voted for these as a regular ticket, picking the fifth man from the remaining candidates. Mr. Little was also a Justice of the Peace and it is also noteworthy that he served as constable under the late Rev. Mr. Lewis, for a considerable time, while that gentleman was minister, magistrate and storekeeper at Mono Mills. The late Mr. Little was, as stated in our last issue, a man of frugal and industrious habits and as a result of his industry had owned at one time or another 900 acres of land in Mono, 100 acres in Mulmur and two lots in Orangeville. He retired from the active duties of life in 1888, when he sold his farm to his son George. For the past four years he has been constantly confined to his house. His death, which took place on Friday, the 17th inst., was due to gangrene of the foot. He was a member of St. Mark's church for upwards of half a century and his pastor, Rev. Canon Henderson, conducted the service at the grave. Rev. W. A. Grahame, of Shelburne, officiated at the house and preached a very fine sermon from the subject, "When Christ, who is our Life, shall Appear, We shall Appear with Him in Glory." - Issue of the Banner in 1899
top of page
Aug.9,p.2:Margaret Jean Moffitt -The home of Mr. and Mrs. Noice Moffitt, of Glencross, was sorely bereaved on Wednesday, July 25th when their infant daughter, Margaret Jean, a sweet wee girlie of nine months was called away. The little one, while in the enjoyment of good health, was the victim of an affection for which the doctors were unable to find a remedy. Her parents had twice taken her to a Toronto specialist, but unfortunately without result. Neighbors gathered in large numbers to express their sympathy at the funeral, which was held from the sorrowing home to the Forest Lawn Cemetery on Friday afternoon, July 27th. Rev. R.E. Lemon, of Cardwell, conducting the services at the house and grave. The flowers were beautiful and included a wreath from the parents and sister, Ruth, a wreath from the grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Dermott, and Laura and Willie, a spray from Mr. and Mrs. Alex Still and Bouquet from Miss Mae Laverty.
top of page
(Parker) Webster -Sarah Parker, widow of the late Ephriam Webster, of
Clarence, N.Y., passed away at her home on Wednesday, May 16th, after an illness
of three weeks. Mrs. Webster, who was in her 56th year, was the youngest daughter
of the late Mr. and Mrs. George Parker, of Sheldon Mills. Her husband predeceased
her 18 years ago. She also survived an only daughter, Eleanor, who died eight
years ago. The subject of our sketch was a woman, whose kindly disposition and
good deed will be held in grateful remembrance by her neighbors and friends.
She leaves to mourn her loss three brothers, William Parker, Allison, Charles
Parker, Cookstown and John Parker, Sheldon. The funeral was held from the home
of her niece, Mrs. E. Williams to Alliston cemetery on Saturday, May 19th.
The funeral service at the home was conducted by Rev. G.L. Gray and Rev. E.J. Adams. The remains were borne to their last resting place by her five nephews, Melville, Murray, Stanley Parker, Charles Firth, George Parker and Cecil Gallaugher and a great nephew, Charles Murray. The floral tributes included a pillow from Mr. and Mrs. Fay Graves, Clarence, N.Y.; Wreaths from the Wednesday Club, Clarence, N.Y.; The Ladies Aid and Mrs. Long, both of Clarence, N.Y.; a basket from the Rebekahs, Clarence, N.Y.; baskets from Mrs. Parker and Mr. and Mrs. Weinague, both of Clarence, N.Y.; spray from Mrs. Redcak, Clarence, N.Y.; spray, Mr. and Mrs. Conder and Dorothea; cross, Mr. Gallaugher; spray, Mr. and Mrs. Parker; wreath, Mrs. Parker, and sprays, Mr. and Mrs. Firth, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Parker and Mr. and Mrs. Webster. Among those who attended the funeral from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. Fay Graves, Clarence, N.Y., Miss Firth, Mrs. Taylor, Mr. Chs. Murray and Mrs. Powell, all of Toronto, Miss Grice, Malton, Mrs. W. Conder and Miss Dorothea, Dixie, Mr. and Mrs. Murray, Guelph, Mr. and Mrs. Melvlle Murray and Mr. Alex. Murray, Mono Mills.
[top of page] [Dufferin County GenWeb]
Last updated: July
©1999-2000 Amy Menary