Mono Township
Bibliographies
Cemeteries
Chronology
Pioneer Families
Villages

History of the township:

1823 - first survey east of Centre Road by David Gibson and surveyed on the west by Mr. Black
1824 - Adam Raven settled on Lot 3 Con 3
1825 - Robert Henry settled on Lot 15 Con 3
~1828 - first settlement by George McManus
1830+ - there was an increase in settlement; settlement usually occurred via Centre Road or via the 6th line
; story of early settlement by Robert Large
1837 - Toronto & Home District Directory (Mono Township residents)
1842 - population was 1020
1849 - first log "meeting house" was built on Lot 13 Con 6
1850 - Mono becomes incorporated
1851 - population was 2689
1871 - population was 3980
1872 - Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Simcoe is published; lists people by town/villages and by township
1881 - population was 4097
1901 - population was 3111
1964 - Small history of Camilla published in Orangeville Banner on January 23, 1964, p. 9. Small history of Mono Centre published in Orangeville Banner on Febraruy 6, 1964, p. 9.

Villages of the township:

References taken from: Carter, Floreen Ellen. Place names of Ontario. London, Ont.: Phelphs Publishing Company, 1984.

Blount - rural community located 6 miles north of Orangeville. The post office was established in 1888 and the first postmaster was William Woods. The office closed on April 1, 1914.

Camilla - rural community located on the crossroad of no. 15 sideroad and the Prince of Wales road. The post office was established in 1860 and the first postmaster was Hugh Currie. The office closed on January 16, 1933.

Elba - rural community located 10 miles north of Orangeville. The post office was established on July 1, 1871 and the first postmaster was Charles Smith. The office closed on January 1, 1915.

Elder - rural community located 14 miles northwest of Orangeville. The post office was established on June 1, 1864 and the first postmaster was C. Conn. The office closed on May 1, 1914. "Named for Thomas Elder, a farmer and one of the old settlers". (p.356)

Glen Cross - rural community located 7 miles north of Orangeville. The post office was established in 1887 and the first postmaster was Joseph Jeffers. The office closed by 1972.

Granger - rural community located 12 miles north of Orangeville. The post office was established in 1881 and the first postmaster was William Dynes. The office closed on January 1, 1915.

Hockley - rural community located 12 miles northeast of Orangeville. The post office was established on August 1, 1863 and the first postmaster was Thomas Martin. The office was closed on September 30, 1918.

Mono Centre - rural community located at the heart of the township (no. 18 sideroad and Concession 2. The post office was established on July 6, 1851 and the first postmaster was William Large. The office closed by 1971. "The Indian name Mahnoo, as applied in Dufferin County, means "let it be so"." (p.783)

Mono Mills (also known as Market Hill and McLaughlin Mills) - rural community located 7 miles east of Orangeville. The post office was established on October 6, 1839 (under the Home District, Upper Canada) and the first postmaster was Alexander Lewis. The office closed on January 15, 1970.

Relessey - rural community located 12 miles northeast of Orangeville. The post office was established in 1868 and the first postmaster was Fleming Clingan. The office closed on May 1, 1914.

Cemeteries:

PLEASE NOTE: all/most cemetery transcriptions can be found at the North York Public Library in the Canadiana Room (6th floor) and at the Archives of Ontario (on microfilm).

Burns Cemetery, Mono Centre
Forest Lawn Cemetery, Orangeville
Mitchell's Cemetery
Mono College Cemetery
Mono East Cemetery
Relessy Cemetery
Snell's Cemetery
St. Cyprian's II Cemetery
St. Francis Cemetery, Mono Mills
St. John's Cemetery
Wesley Cemetery
Zion Cemetery

Pioneer Families/Family Inquiries:

The families listed below* were among the first Settlers in the township. If you would like to submit a family query, please leave a message on the Dufferin County message board. If you are interested in posting a link to your family tree homepage, please email me the URL.

*Allen, *Brady, *Lundy, *Henry, *Huston/Hughston/Hewston, *Hutchinson, *McCutcheon, *McMaster, *Montgomery, *Perry, *Raven, *Smith, Snell, *Turnbull, *Williamson, *Wright.

Bibliographies on the township:

These items (*) are available through interlibrary loans from the National Library of Canada:

*Brooksbank, Jack. Hockley Village, Townships of Mono & Adjala, Counties of Dufferin & Simcoe, Ontario, Canada. Orangeville, Ont.: Jacques (Bea) Studios, 1989, c1985.

*Brooksbank, Jack. Mono Mills Village in the town of Caledon and township of Mono. Orangeville, Ont.: Jacques (Bea> Studies, 1988?.

Brown, Stephen J. Relessey: the history of the church and cemetery at Relessey. Mono Twp. : Relessey Cemetery Board, 1995

*Dean, David E. Mono settlement period. Orangeville, Ont.: Jacques Studios, 1990.

*Dodds, Ernest H Some old families of Mono Township. Rosemont, Ont.: Dufferin County Museum and Archives, 1995.

Harris, R. Cole, Pauline Roulson and Chris De Freitas. "The Settlement of Mono Township." Canadian Geographer. XIX/1 (1975) ,1-17.

*Marshall, John Ewing. A century of service: St. Andrew's United Church, Camilla. Ontario : s.n., 1980?.

Mono Ontario? : s.n., 1925?

*Rayburn, Alan. Gravestone inscriptions of eleven cemeteries of Mono Township, Dufferin County, Ontario. Nepean, Ont.: Alan Rayburn Research Associates, 1991.

*Ontario Genealogical Society, Simcoe County Branch. 25 Sideroead Roman Catholic Cemetery, concession 2, lot 25, Mono Township, Dufferin County. Barrie, Ont.: Ontario Genealogical Society, Simcoe County Branch, 1978.


[Top of page] | [Dufferin County GenWeb]

Last updated:May 2, 2008
©1998-2008 Amy Menary