Search billions of records on

Obituaries - Perth Courier & Others

supplied by Christine M. Spencer of Northwestern University, Evanston, Il., USA.

Perth Courier, July 2, 1897

Abercrombie—Died, at Perth on Friday morning, June 25, Mr. Alexander Abercrombie, North Burgess, aged 63.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

On Friday morning last Alexander Abercrombie, manager of the Scotch Line Cheese Factory,  was in town, helping and directing the unloading of cheese from the factory into a car at the station.  The cheese had to be placed in the car five tiers high and the work was very exhaustive.  He was observed to get very red in the face and immediately afterwards had to sit down, soon afterwards becoming insensible.  Those about him had Mr. Abercrombie taken to the house of his sister-in-law Mrs. Walter Ferrier in town, where he shortly afterwards died notwithstanding medical aid which was summoned immediately.  His death was caused by the bursting of a blood vessel in the head, brought about by the high lifting and the fatiguing work he was engaged in when he took ill, facilitated, perhaps, by a slight attack of the same form of weakness the week before.  The funeral took place from his residence about two miles of the Scotch Line to Elmwood Cemetery, Perth, on Sunday afternoon and was one of the largest ever seen in this neighborhood, old friends from twenty miles away coming in to pay in this last, sad tribute to him.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Fitzpatrick who is filling in for Rev. D. Currie in Knox Church during his absence.  Deceased was born of Scotch parentage in North Burgess near his own farm 63 years ago and was married to Sarah Ferrier, also of the Scotch Line.  Their children were:  James In Dakota; Alex, temporarily living in the same state; Will, John and Ephraim at home; Mrs. Holliday in Dakota; Mrs. Richardson of Perth.  Mr.Abercrombie was a man who will be missed in this neighborhood, obliging and kind tempered, he was a good man and desirable neighbor and a model husband and father.  He was also a very efficient manager of the local cheese factory and in many ways the community will deplore his sudden death.

Pryce—Died, at Ferguson’s Falls, on Tuesday, June 22, David Pryce, aged 55.

Smith—Died, at Perth on Thursday, June 17, Mrs. William Smith.

Farnell—Died, on Tuesday night, June 29, Andrew Farnell, Bathurst toll gate keeper.  (no age)

Perth Courier, July 9, 1897

O’Neil—Died, on Wednesday, July 7, Margaret Kehoe O’Neil, wife of John O’Neil, of Bathurst, aged 56.

Westport:  Mrs. W. H. Fredenburgh died on Friday after a sickness of nine years, universally lamented.

Perth Courier, July 16, 1897

Geddes—Died, at Dalhousie Lake on July 6 of pulmonary tuberculosis, Adam Geddes, aged 63 years, 2 months, and 17 days.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

We are sorry to record the death of Adam Geddes of Dalhousie Lake which occurred on the 5th inst. (note above death notices the date looked like “6”).  Mr. Geddes was born in Lanark Township April 19, 1834 where his family had at first settled on arriving from Scotland.  When he was seven years old the family moved to North Sherbrooke, where they afterwards resided.  On July 11, 1856 he was married to Jane Sim, daughter of the late Walter Sim and cousin of the late Mrs. Alexander Mackenzie.  Ten children were born to them.  Along with the widow, two sons—Walter who is a clerk of the municipality of Dalhousie and North Sherbrooke and William and one daughter Lizzie, survive.  Mr. Geddes was a most highly respected and useful citizen.  For nine years he served in the municipal council.  For many years he followed the occupation of a farmer but since 1882 he has been in the milling business at the head of Dalhousie Lake.  He was a member of the Presbyterian Church at McDonald’s Corners and a humble and consistent follower of Christ.  In 1883 he was elected to the eldership of the church which position he filled with much faithfulness.  His death was calm and peaceful; humbly he resigned himself to the will of God and resting firmly in the promise of Christ, looked to the future with confidence and hope.  The funeral took place on the 9th inst and was very largely attended.

Miller—Died, at Crookston, Minn., Thursday, July 8, Arthur Miller, tinsmith, aged 27.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

The body of the late Arthur Miller was brought to town from Crookston, Minn., on Wednesday last week and laid in Elmwood Cemetery.  His brother Lorenzo accompanied the remains on the journey.  The deceased came in from the 3rd Line Bathurst and lived in Perth for four years, learning the trade of tinsmith with Peter Hope.  He was the fourth son of the late Andrew Miller of Bathurst.  The Crookston Dailey Times of July 9 says:  “At 7:00 last evening the spirit of Arthur Miller lost its earthly tenement and returned to its Maker.  The fatal disease did its work only too well and the efforts of physicians and prayers of friends failed to stay the result.  Arthur Miller was born in Perth, Ontario 27 years ago.  Six years since he came to Crookston near where his brothers Lorenzo and Nelson were living upon farms and obtained employment at his trade as a tinsmith.  During his residence here he has always conducted himself in a manner which has won for him the respect of all who knew him.  He has been prominent in church work which has been conducted by the businesses of the city and was at the time of his deal filling the position of assistant superintendent of the Presbyterian Sabbath School.  His is the first death to break the family of seven brothers and two sisters all of whom are living in the east with the exception of the two who reside near Crookston.  He was the secretary of the Knights of Maccabees and the members of that brotherhood feel his loss keenly.”

McRae—Died, at Beckwith on July 7, Maggie McEwen McRae, beloved wife of A.M. McRae, aged 34.

Dunlop—Died, at Carleton Place, on July 8, Alexander Dunlop aged 68(?).

Finn—Died, at Fallbrook, on Wednesday, July 14, Nettie Finn, aged 22 years, 4 months.

Mrs. John O’Neil, an estimable lady, the wife of John O’Neil, 5th Line Bathurst (Wemyss) died July 7 after a long illness.  Eight years ago she was seized with la grippe but she recovered almost wholly for a time but two years ago she was taken with a flu again and the disease settled on her lungs and carried her off.  She bore her illness very patiently and was 56(?) 58(?) when she died.  Deceased’s maiden name was Margaret Kehoe.  She leaves three sons:  John F. of B.C.; Peter and Daniel at home.  She also leaves one daughter Mrs. John Murphy, 3rd Line Bathurst.  Her remains were interred in the R.C. Cemetery at Perth on Friday by her nephews acting as pall bearers.  The funeral was a very large one, 110 rigs passed Glen Tay.  Her husband has the sympathy of the community where he lives.

Perth Courier, July 23, 1897

Wood—Died, at McLaren’s Depot, on July 18, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. Wood, six weeks.

McLenaghan—Died, at Drummond, 9th Concession, on Wed., July 21, John McLenaghan, Sr., aged 86.

Perth Courier, July 30, 1897

Watson’s Corners:  Death has again been in our midst this time choosing for its victim the three year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Barrie.  Little Tenie was visiting her aunt Mrs. M. Reid in our village when the summons came.  She was scarcely unwell to all unwell, to all appearances when on Saturday forenoon she took a convulsion from which she never recovered altogether until death released the spirit about 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.  The parents were summoned as soon as she took ill but she never recognized them.  The remains were interred in our village cemetery on Sabbath last, Rev. J.A. Leitch preaching a few appropriate remarks from Mark Chapter Ten Verses 13-16.  Tenie was a dear child who won her way into every heart but Jesus had need of her.  Be ye also ready.

James H. Reilly, once a resident of Carleton Place, died at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan on Thursday of last week.  The body was brought to Carleton Place by William McDiarmid, Jr., to be buried from the home of his uncle D. McNeely in Cram’s Cemetery.

Ryan—Died, at Dewitt’s Corners, Thursday, July 8, John Ryan, aged 28(?) years and three months.

Lee—Died, at Perth on Tuesday morning, July 27, Mary Ellen McCann Lee, wife of Richard Lee, aged 70(?) 78(?).

Elsewhere in the same paper:

Mrs. Richard Lee, mother of John Lee, turn key of the Perth gaol, died Tuesday morning at the age of 78 and was buried in the R.C. Cemetery here on Wednesday.  Deceased was born in Ireland and was an old resident of this town.

William Ebbs died July 20, aged 57.  He was born in Wicklow, Ireland, from where his father with his family, emigrated when the deceased was about two years of age and settled in Scotch Corners.  Here Mr. Ebbs remained until about 30 years ago when he bought a farm, the first settler on which was Phillip McCaffery, where he lived the remainder of his life.  Some time after settling on this property he married Sarah Keys, the daughter of his next door neighbor, who survives him, together with a family of two sons and two daughters.  The two sons are John Charles and Joseph Hugh, and the daughters are Sarah Maggie and Annie Elizabeth.  Thanks to his industry and thrift, the family are in comfortable circumstances.  When, about eight days before his death, Mr. Ebbs was taken seriously ill, Dr. Munro was called for and gave little hope of recovery.  A few days afterwards Dr. Preston was also summoned for consultation and the joint opinion was that there was little hope.  The patient, however, rallied the evening before his death on Tuesday morning, when he peacefully passed away.  The funeral was one of the largest ever seen in this neighborhood and took place at 2:00 Thursday last from his late residence to the English Church Cemetery.  In the English Church, Rev. Mr. Osborne made a few remarks suitable to the sad event which had brought together such a throng of people.  He chose as his text Ecclesiastes, Chapter 12, Verse 10:  “Fear God and keep His commandments”.  After the services, his remains were taken in charge by the Orangemen and a burial service according to the Orange rites was gone through whereby the brethren bade a last adieu to a worthy brother and a good man.  In politics Mr. Ebbs was a Conservative, but a Conservative who placed principle above party; in religion he was an Anglican but a man who loved all good men.  He was an enthusiastic Orangemen.  His was a man of high character.  His word was as good as his bond.  When he told anything, you could put reliance on what he said.  He never asked what side was popular but what side was right.  The world loses such men.

Spalding—Died, at Perth on Friday, July 23, Albert Ernest Spalding, infant son of James Spalding, aged one year and 21 days.

Bolton Cunningham of Almonte died of Bright’s Disease on Friday last at the age of 68 years after an illness of several months.  He was for a time chief constable of Almonte.  He was many years ago a resident of Lanark Village.  He leaves one daughter Mrs. John Lawson of Almonte and one brother George Cunningham, to mourn his loss.  His wife departed this life about ten years ago.

By the death of John McLenaghan, which occurred last Wednesday, July 21, at the homestead, 8th Line Drummond,  another of the sturdy old pioneer settlers of the county has passed away.  The deceased came to this country with his widowed mother and five sisters in 1830.  All of these have since died except the youngest, Mrs. Padgett, who is now in her 82nd year.  They settled in Drummond and in 1836 Mr. McLenaghan took up land on the farm where he spent the best part of his life and by thrift succeeded in accumulating quite a goodly portion of worldly goods.  He leaves his wife (still hale and hearty in her 87th year) and four sons:  Charles and Robert at Carleton Place; John P. and William on the homestead.  In religion he was a Presbyterian and a consistent member of the church at Balderson.  The funeral took place on Friday afternoon to Elmwood Cemetery, Perth and was very largely attended showing the esteem in which the deceased was held.  In the absence of Rev. Mr. McIlraith, Rev. Mr. Buchanan of Lanark conducted the services and was assisted by Rev. Mr. Blair of Chicago.  The latter, who is visiting here just now, is a native of this section and was a comrade in school days of the sons of the deceased.  Mr. McLenaghan was 86 years of age.  Carleton Place Herald

Perth Courier, Aug. 6, 1897

Quinn—Died, at North Burgess on Wed., July 24, Bridget White Quinn, wife of John Quinn, aged 64(?)

Manion—Died at North Elmsley on Friday, July 30, Catharine Martin Manion, wife of the late Thomas Manion, aged 54.

Blair—Died, at Perth, on Wednesday, July 28, Annie Elizabeth Blair, daughter of Robert Blair, aged 13(?) 15(?) years, six months and nine days.

Robertson—Died, at Beckwith, on July 27, William Robertson, aged 58.

Craig—Died, at Clyde Forks, Aug. 1, George Craig, aged 68.

Perth Courier, Aug. 13, 1897

Robertson—Died, at Montreal on Wed., Aug. 11, Jennie Malcolm Robertson, wife of James Robertson, Pert, aged (illegible, maybe 32??).  The funeral will take place Friday, 13th inst., from the residence of her husband east Gore Street to Elmwood Cemetery.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

After a painful illness of some months, which she endured with the resignation and patience of a Christian, Mrs. James Robertson of this town passed away in the Montreal General Hospital where she had been taken for an operation on Wednesday morning, at the age of 32 years.  Deceased was born in Aberdeen, Scotland and was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Malcolm of this town.  She was a woman of lovely character and a consistent member of the Baptist church in which she was a faithful worker.  The funeral will take place on Friday to Elmwood Cemetery.

Robinson—Died, at Brockville on Sunday, Aug. 8, of paralysis, Miss Annie Robinson, formerly of Lanark, aged 27.

Devlin—Died, at Perth on Monday, Aug. 9, Mary E. Devlin, daughter of Mr. Charles Devlin.  (no age given)

Elsewhere in the same paper:

On Monday, the family of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Devlin were sadly afflicted by the death of their daughter Mary E., after a lingering illness.  She was a young lady beloved by all her acquaintances.

Young—Died at Perth on Monday, Aug. 9, Gertrude Young, daughter of Mr. Denis Young, aged two years, two months.

Perth Courier, Aug. 20, 1897

Frayn—Died, on Sunday, Aug. 15, Mrs. Henry(?) Frayn, Scotch Line, North Burgess, aged 46(?).

Elsewhere in the same paper:

A lengthened illness from heart trouble led to the death of Mrs. Henry Frayn of the Scotch Line at the age of 46.  Deceased was the daughter of Andrew Ross of the township of Kitley and with her husband and family removed from Lombardy to the “Cameron Farm”, Scotch Line, some years ago.  Not long ago, Mrs. Frayn showed signs of heart weakness and her illness gradually increased until death intervened.  Deceased was a member of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church.  Her funeral took place to the Lombardy Cemetery on Monday.  Rev. Mr. Currie conducted the services at the house.  Mrs. Frayn was much esteemed by her many friends and neighbors.  Her husband and five children are left to lament their loss.

Lafferty—Died, at Sarnia on Wednesday, Aug. 4, John Lafferty, Sr., formerly of Bathurst, aged 78(?).

Burke—Died, at Oso on Tuesday, Aug. 10, Patience Warren Burke, wife of Richard Bruke, aged (illegible).

Quinn—Died, at North Burgess, on Wednesday, July 28, Bridget White Quinn, wife of John Quinn, aged (illegible).

Hopkins—died, at Bathurst on July 9, Mary Jane Warren(?) Hopkins, wife of Richard Hopkins, aged (illegible).

McEwen—Died, at Smith’s Falls on Wed., July 11, Janet(?) McEwen, widow of the late Donald McEwen, aged 78(?)

The Vernon(?) correspondent of the Kingston News tells of the funeral of the late Mrs. William Steadman of that village which took place on the 5th inst.  Deceased and her husband were both from Drummond where her maiden name was Cameron.  The News says:  “Deceased was of a kind and charitable disposition, beloved by all who knew her and her demise will be greatly lamented.  Her son Willie of Virden, Manitoba arrived but not ere the silver thread of dissolution had been severed.  Her pall bearers were her three sons, Mr. Craig, son-in-law, Smith’s Falls; Herbert Purdy; and William Grant of this place.  The remains were interred at Verona(?)”

Perth Courier, Aug. 27, 1897

The Smith’s Fallsl paper regrets the death of Mr. O.S. Hurlbut of that town which occurred on the 10th inst. At the age of 59(?) 69(?) years, of kidney disease.  He was born in the U.S., served in the Civil War there and drew a pension of $400 a year.  He followed the business of stock buyer and speculator in the Falls and was much esteemed and beloved by the townspeople generally.

Findlay—Died, on Tuesday morning, Aug. (date illegible), Ann Young, relict of the late Alexander Findlay, aged (illegible).

Elsewhere in the same paper:

An aged resident of Bathurst, Mrs. Alexander Findlay was stricken down with paralysis on Monday last and died Tuesday morning at the age of 76.  Deceased was a daughter of the late James Young and was born in Perth while her father was gaoler here.  She was married in 1844 to the late Mr. Alexander Findlay who passed away a year or so ago.  Mrs. Findlay leaves a family of sons and daughters, mostly living, in this locality.  She was a member of the Presbyterian Church.  Her remains were interred in Elmwood Cemetery on Wednesday, the funeral being a very large one.

Nichol—Died, at McLaren’s Depot on Aug. 11(?), the beloved wife of Mr. T. Nichol, aged 31.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

The people of this vicinity were deeply shocked on Wednesday last to learn that Mrs. Thomas Nichol had gone to her heavenly home. The funeral service was held at the Presbyterian Church on Friday after which her remains were laid in the Elphin cemetery.

Died, in Dalhousie on Aug 22, Mrs. John McPhee aged 61(?) 51(?).  Deceased was a widow of the late Robert Elliott (transcriber’s note, that is what it says, Mrs. John McPhee, widow of Robert Elliott) by whom there was a family of six children, two sons and four daughters, only two surviving to mourn her loss—Mrs. A. Robertson of Perth and Mrs. E. Buffam of Snow Road.  Deceased was beloved and respected by all who knew her and her funeral was the largest held in that section for many years.

Myers’ Corner’s items (left out last week)—The funeral of the late Mrs. James Van Alstine took place from her residence in Harlow Cemetery and was largely attended, the deceased lady being an old resident of this township.

Perth Courier, Sept. 3, 1897

Geddes—Died, at Deseronto on Wed., Sept. 1, Tena(?) M. Robertson, wife of Mr. W.J. Geddes, aged 27 years, 10 months.  The funeral will take place on Friday, 3rd inst., from the residence of her mother Mrs. D.M. Robertson west Drummond St., Perth, to Elmwood Cemetery.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

Her wide circle of friends here will regret to learn of the death of Mrs. W. J. Geddes of Rochester, New York, the sad event taking place at Deseronto, Ontario where she was staying for a time with relatives of Mr. Geddes.  Deceased was a daughter of the late D.M. Robertson of Perth and her death is the first except one in a large family.  She had a very severe attack of acute sciatica some time ago from which she never rallied as other complications followed until death claimed her on Wednesday of this week.  Her husband, mother and brothers and sisters will have the sympathy of the entire community in their bereavement.  Her remains were expected in Perth yesterday and the funeral will take place today (Friday).

McPhee—Died, at Dalhousie on Aug. 2, Alice Warrington McPhee, wife of Mr. John McPhee, aged (illegible, maybe 61???)

Perth Courier, Sept. 10, 1897

Bryson—Died, at Perth on Sept. 4, Jane McPherson Bryson, aged 57(?), widow of the late Mr. Alexander Henry Bryson, formerly of Glasgow, Scotland.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

After a sickness of some weeks, Mrs. A.H. Bryson passed away at her residence on North Street at the age of 57(?) years, just two years after the death of her husband.  Her remains were interred in Elmwood Cemetery Monday, Rev. A.H. Scott conducting the funeral service.  The late Mrs. Bryson was the daughter of William McPherson one of the earliest settlers of the county, whose farm is on the Scotch Line a short distance from town, this side of the toll gate.  He was proprietor of the stage line between Perth and Brockville and carried the mail between these two towns until the building of the Brockville and Ottawa railway.  The family were well known in this locality and though numbering once many members, there are now left only John Spalding, Scotch Line, and Malcolm McPherson, Lanark.  The children of Mrs. Bryson numbered five.  Three daughters living in town, one son Alexander in Winnipeg and Robert B. in town.  Deceased was a member of St. Andrew’s (Presbyterian) Church.

Russell—Died, at Brockville on Sunday, Sept. 5, aged 70(?) 76(?), John William Russell, of Drummond Street, Perth.

Sheppard—Died, at Ferguson’s Falls, on Wed., Sept. 8, Archibald Sheppard, aged 54.  The funeral will take place on Friday, Sept. 10 from his late residence to St. John’s Church Cemetery, Boyd’s Settlement.  (Note, spelling could have been Shepperd but in below obit it definitely looks like Sheppard.)

Elsewhere in the same paper:

An old resident of Ferguson’s Falls, Archibald Sheppard, passed away on Wednesday afternoon last after an illness from heart disease and liver troubles which appeared some months ago.  Mr. Sheppard, however, took to his bed only a week ago but the disease then made very rapid progress until the end came.  Deceased was born in Ramsay in 1843, his parents being among the pioneer settlers there after leaving their native country of Ireland.  He learned the blacksmith trade and started business for himself in Ferguson’s Falls about 1870.  Soon afterwards he was married to Catharine J. Martin of Horton, Renfrew County who died two years ago last month.  They leave a family of five boys and four girls, the eldest of whom, Edward J., is proprietor of a coal yard in the city of Hamilton and another, Ernest, is at this time learning the trade of printer in the Courier office.  The funeral is to take place to St. John’s Cemetery, Boyd’s Settlement, on Friday.  Deceased was a member of the Church of England and a most respected citizen.

We have to chronicle the death of William Morris, Sr., of Rosetta which sad event took place on Wednesday, Sept. 1 at his home.  Some weeks previous to his death he had contracted a severe cold while on a journey which ultimately settled on his lungs and though the best medical skill was obtained he finally succumbed to it at 7:00 on the morning of the first inst.  Mr. Morris was born at Hamilton, Scotland Feb. 26, 1817 and therefore had turned the four score year.  In 1863(?) he came to this country and after a short time lived in Darling, where he organized and superintended the first Sabbath School in that region.  For the past 34 years he has resided in Rosetta, honored and respected by all who knew him.  Long years previous to his coming to Canada he was manager of the Constonholm(?) factory in Pollack Shaws near Glasgow at that time one of the larges woolen factories in Scotland.  To mark the high regard in which he was held by the workmen under his charge, they presented him on the evening of his departure with a beautiful clock on which is engraved with an inscription by them.  From the Glasgow Herald of June 2, 1863 we fine a long account of social meeting that was held in the temperance hall at Pollack Shaws to bid Mr. Morris farewell.  For eight years he was president of the Total Abstinence Society.  Many of the leading citizens were present and some from Glasgow, Rutherglen and other places.  The chairman, a Mr. Hall, spoke of the exertions that had been put forth by Mr. Morris and while regretting the loss about to be sustained by the Society expressed a hope that he would not only succeed in the land of his adoption but that those who remained would make greater exertions to advance the good cause.  He then presented Mr. Morris with a pair of handsome gold spectacles which also contained an inscription.  Mr. Morris connected himself with the Presbyterian Church at Middleville as soon as he came to Canada—then in connection with the Church of Scotland and ministered to Rev. W.C. Clark.  He continued to serve the church faithfully under its successive pastors Revs. McLean, Cochrane, Andrew and the present incumbent until the infirmities of old age prevented him from taking the active part he had for so long.  However, he never ceased to take an active interest in the work and as often as his feeble state would permit, he attended church and assisted in Communion and came out to meetings of the session of the Presbytery.  As a representative elder he was most faithful to and regular in his attendance at Presbytery and Synod and on three occasions he was appointed Commissioner to the General Assembly.  In all respects he was a model officer of the church of Christ and felt gravely his responsibility.  He took a great interest in all matters of temperance, reform and in the scholastic education of the young. Rarely was he absent from the closing exercises of the school in his district and he was always made chairman in connection with any social or intellectual gathering in his neighborhood.  He was a man of quiet and unassuming nature.  His piety was very real and shone in daily walk and conversation.  His influence for good was felt in the congregation and throughout the community and he was universally respected and beloved.  He was a good man—remembered among those of the church triumphant and his death will be severely and generally deplored.  He leaves a widow and two sons and a daughter.  The former is Peter Morris, living in Middleville and William Morris who resides in Rosetta and Mrs. John Clelland of Clyde Forks.  The interment took place at the cemetery in Rosetta on Friday.  Services were held here in the church and a sermon was preached by Rev. W.S. Smith who paid a high tribute to the worth of the deceased.  There was a large assembly of mourners and friends many being present from Almonte, Carleton Place and other places.

The Pakenham correspondent of the Almonte Gazette says:  John Elliott passed away on Tuesday, Aug. 31.  The deceased was born in Bathurst on Jan. 3, 1820—77 years ago.  The late Mr. Elliott’s parents came from Cavan County, Ireland with the first settlers.  The deceased went to Pakenham 49 years ago and carried on a boot and shoe business for more than twenty years.  He then purchased a homestead and lived on it until about seven years ago when he retired to Pakenham Village.  He was also an auctioneer for many years.  He was for some time tax collector for the township of Pakenham and was one of the most successful farmers in the township being able in the declining years of his life to retire from active duties of life as well as to leave a fair competence to those depending on him.  IN 1850(?) he married Margaret Kerr of Perth, daughter of the late Dawson Kerr, a school teacher who in the early days opened a school in Perth.  To the were born twelve children all but one (who died in infancy) survive.  The family consists of seven sons:  Robert A., Winnipeg; Dawson, wholesale merchant in Winnipeg; John on the homestead in Pakenham; William A. and John H. in Pakenham township; Frederick C., barrister in West Selkirk, Manitoba; George A., barrister, Winnipeg.  There are also five daughters:  Mrs. W.A. Patterson of Carleton Place; Mrs. Dr. Jamieson of Pakenham; Mrs. W.W. Miller of Pakenham; and Edna, the youngest, at home in Pakenham.  Mrs. Elliott survives her husband and is strong and vigorous in spite of the fact that she faithfully nursed her husband through his illness which lasted for more than a year.  His disease was hardening of the spinal cord with complications.  He was a Methodist and a Conservative in politics.  The funeral took place to the Methodist Cemetery and was largely attended.  Deceased was a brother of Robert and Archibald Elliott of Perth.  

Perth Courier, Sept. 17, 1897

McGlade—Killed at Emporia, Kansas on Wednesday, Sept. 8, Michael J. McGlade, aged 39(?).

The Deseronto, Ontario Tribune of Sept. 3 says:  “It becomes our sad duty to record this week the death of Mrs. William J. Geddes of Rochester, the sad event having occurred on the morning of Wednesday, Sept. 1 at the residence of Robert Geddes, Deseronto.  About 9 weeks ago the deceased lady had attended a garden party held in connection with a society of a church in Rochester.  The evening was rather damp and it is supposed she contracted a cold.  Next morning she complained of feeling uncomfortable and in a few days it was evident she was suffering from an attack of acute sciatic rheumatism.  She continued to get worse, the pain being excruciating.  The best medical skill in the city was engaged but all to no purpose.  Thinking a change of climate might be beneficial she was, about three weeks ago, removed to Deseronto to the home of R. Geddes, but the fond hope of her recovery was not realized.  The disease affected her spine and ultimately the brain and after untold suffering she passed away Wednesday morning.  Mrs. Geddes was the daughter of the late D.M. Robertson of Perth and was one of 13 children, 11 of whom still survive.  Her mother came to Deseronto and was with her during the closing weeks of her illness.  The deceased, who was for five years a most efficient teacher of the Deseronto public schools, had resigned because of throat trouble.  While teaching here, she contracted a fever and never again regained her full strength.  Two years ago she was married and since that time her home has been in Rochester.  She was in her 28th year.  Both in Deseronto and in Rochester she proved an earnest Christian woman.  While in Deseronto she was a member of the congregation of the Church of the Redeemer, teaching a class in the Sunday School and was an earnest and faithful member of the Christian Endeavor Society.  On Wednesday evening religious services were conducted at the residence of R. Geddes by Rev. W.S. McTavish, B.D.  A large number of friends were present.  On Thursday morning the casket was conveyed to the railway station the following gentlemen acting as pall bearers:  A.G. Bogart, R. Whyte, L.H. Bennett, I. Allum, Jr., G. E. Snider, John Bennett.  The funeral arrangements were conducted by the undertaker Dalton(?).  The remains, accompanied by the bereaved husband, Mrs. Robertson and R. Geddes, were taken by train to Perth where at 2:30 today they will be interred in the cemetery at this place.”

Perth Courier, Sept. 24, 1897

McConnell—Died, at North Sherbrooke on Tuesday, Sept. 14, James McConnell, aged 76(?).

James—Died, at Perth on Sept. 20, Ellen Francis James, wife of Wesley James, aged 24.

Scott—Died, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. James M. Nichol, Brandon, on Wednesday, Sept. 8, Jane Stone Scott, relict of the late William Scott, formerly of Perth, aged 78.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

An old resident of Perth, Mrs. Jane Scott, mother of Mrs. George Campbell of North Sherbrooke, died at Brandon, Manitoba on Sept. 8 aged 78 years, at the home of her daughter Mrs. Jas. McNichol (note here it looks like “McNichol” but in the death notice above it looked like “Mrs. James M. Nichol” so not sure of last name of daughter).  The maiden name of the deceased was Jane Stone and she was a sister of the late John Stone of North Elmsley. She was a native of Ireland but left there when quite young.  She kept a grocery here for some years.  Deceased was married twice and survived both her husbands.

Bell—Died, at 149(?) Hargrove Street, Aug. 21, Norman Hugh Bell, son of Charles N. and Alice Bell, aged one month.

McLaren—Died, at Lanark, on Friday, Sept. 17, Marion McLaren, aged 45.

Manahan—Died at Lanark on Sept. 17, Maggie May Manahan, youngest daughter of John Manahan, aged three years and ten months.

A dispatch from Pembroke says:  Mrs. Deacon, wife of Dr. J.D. Deacon (formerly of S. Sherbrooke) and daughter of Archibald Foster, died very suddenly yesterday.  She had been in poor health for some weeks and was apparently much better yesterday but suddenly took warm about 6:00 and although everything that human skill could do was done for her, it was of no avail.  The event has cast a gloom over the town.  Mrs. Deacon was just 24 years of age and had been married 15 months.”

Perth Courier, October 1, 1897

Loftus—Died, at the Scotch Line, Bathurst, on Thursday morning, Sept. 23, Mary Catherine Loftus, only daughter of Nicholas Loftus, aged 17.

Scott—Died, at “Mt. Joy Farm”, King’s Road, Martintown, Glengarry County, on Monday, Sept. 27, aged 74 years, William Scott, father of Rev. A. H. Scott, of St. Andrew’s Church, Perth.

Stone—Died, at Smith’s Falls on Friday, Sept. 24, Edith E. Stone, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Stone, aged 19.

McDonald—Died, at Bathurst on Tuesday, Sept. 21, Jessie McDonald, aged 40.

Murdoch—Died, at Waterford, Ontario on Friday, September 24, George Hayward N. Murdoch, B.A., son of Rev. A. Murdoch, aged 19(?) years, ten months and 9 days.

On Friday evening Miss Marion(?) McLaren, daughter of the late Jno. McLaren, one of the pioneer settlers of Lanark Township, passed away to join the great silent majority.  Deceased had been living on the old homestead with her brother Jno. McLaren, and had been ailing for the past year or so, though always able to go about.  The day before her death she had been up and around and not in a condition of health that indicated that her end was so near.  She was a lady of exemplary character and bore all her suffering with true Christian fortitude.  Her death is deeply regretted by her many friends.  The funeral took place on Monday at 1:00 from her late residence to the village cemetery and was very largely attended.  Rev. J. Morrison conducted the services.

On Friday evening a young lady named Miss May Way died here from chronic constipation and inflammation of the bowels.  She was born in Belleville and was the daughter of Alfred Way of Carleton Place where her home was and came to Perth to attend the model school.  She took seriously ill about a fortnight or so ago and her father being wired for came at once. The Carleton Place Herald says:  “The other members of the family were sent for the next day and though everything possible was done for the sufferer, on Friday evening at 8:00 the young lady breathed her last.  It is only two months since the mother was called to her last home.  The remains were brought here for interment the funeral taking place on Sunday afternoon to Maplewood Cemetery and was largely attended.  The high school teachers and scholars headed the long procession and some 20 odd Modelites drove out from Perth to pay the last tribute of respect to their late comrade.  In the evening a funeral service was preached by Rev. Mr. Raney in the Methodist Church which was draped for the occasion, Miss Way having been an active member of the Epworth League.  The deceased was a clever and popular girl and her early and sudden demise had called forth the fullest measure of  sympathy.  On the casket were three beautiful wreaths one from the high school, one from the Modelites of Perth and one from the Epworth League.”

Perth Courier, October 8, 1897

Smith’s Falls Record:  September 2—The home of A. Lyle south of the river was enshrouded in gloom last Saturday by the death of his young wife Annie Hunter.  The deceased lady had been in poor health for the past ten months from consumption and though her death was not unexpected the sorrow of those who mourn is none the less keen.  She was a daughter of Robert Hunter, Sr., of South Elmsley and had been married only six years.  She leaves a husband and children besides a large number of relatives and friends to mourn her death at the age of 28 years.

The Smith’s Falls Record News record the sudden death of D. Miskelly, store and tinware merchant of that town on Thursday last week at the age of 45.  Deceased was born in the township of Wolford and started business in the Falls about 25 years ago.  His business will be continued by his two sons, Fred and George.

 Perth Courier, October 15, 1897

Mrs. Thomas Gallagher died at her residence at Fallbrook on Monday at the age of 87 years after a brief illness.  Deceased was an aunt of Judge Deacon of Pembroke.  She leaves a large family to mourn her departure.  Two of her sons were drowned over 40 years ago in Legary’s Bay while on the drive on the Mississippi.  The funeral took place to the cemetery at Playfair, the Rev. S.D. Hague(?) conducting the services.  Era, Oct.6

Pickup—Died, at Carleton Place on October 10, Edwin George Pickup, barrister-at-law, eldest and only surviving son of the late John George Willbrook Pickup, M.D., Brockville, aged 29 years and 7 months.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

By the Central Canadian we learn of the death of a leading barrister of Carleton Place, E.G. Pickup, who passed away on Sunday evening at the early age of 29 years of a tumor of the throat.  Deceased was born in Pakenham and studied law in the office of the late  J. F.(?) Wood, Brockville.  Here his father, the late Dr. Pickup then lived.  Mr. Pickup was church warden in the Carleton Place Anglican Church and was secretary-treasurer of the North Lanark Conservative Association.

Wrathall—Died, at Bathurst on Saturday, October 9, Lupton(?) J. Wrathall, aged 59(?).

Elsewhere in the same paper:

Harper:  We are sorry to have to record the death of one of our most respected residents this week. Deceased is Lupton Wrathall who has lived for many years in our vicinity.  He leaves to mourn his loss a wife and six children to whom we extend our sympathies.

Servant of God, well done!

Thy glorious warfare’s past

The battle’s fought, the race is won

And thou art crowned at last.

In condescending love

The ceaseless prayers be heard

And bade thee suddenly remove

To thy complete reward

His funeral to Elmwood Cemetery on Sunday was largely attended.

McKerracher—Died, on Saturday, Oct. 9, Sarah Jordan McKerracher, wife of Donald McKerracher.  (no age given)

Elsewhere in the same paper:

Harper:  On Monday, Oct. 11, the funeral of Mrs. Donald McKerracher, Fallbrook, passed through here.  The deceased was a young lady of 27 some years and had moved with her husband to Fallbrook a short time ago where they kept store.  To her husband and two children we give our heart felt sympathy

Another one from us is gone

A voice we loved is stilled

A place is vacant in our home

Which never can be filled.

God in His wisdom has recalled

The boon his love had given

And though the body moulders here

The soul is save in heaven.

Perth Courier, October 22, 1897

Cuddahy—Died, at Perth on Tuesday afternoon, October 19, Ann Scanlon Cuddahy, wife of Joseph Cuddahy, aged 70.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

An old resident of the town, Mrs. Joseph Cuddahy, after living a quiet life in our midst for over 40 years, passed away on Tuesday afternoon at the age of 70 years.  Her maiden name was Ann Scanlon and she was a native of Ireland.  Her husband and one daughter Mrs. Franklin of Brockville, survive her.  Her remains were interred in the R.C. Cemetery here on Thursday afternoon.

Smith—Died, at Perth on Tuesday, Oct. 19, Mary Isabella Wilson Smith, wife of George Smith, aged 32.

One of the oldest and most widely known residents of Perth, Joseph Milton Oliver Cromwell, Provincial Land Surveyor passed away quietly on Tuesday night at the age of 77(?).  The cause of his death may be said to be simply old age though an attack of la grippe not long ago no doubt hastened his end.  Mr. Cromwell was born in road, Somersetshire, England in 1820(?) and came to this country with his uncle when 3 years of age.  He learned the profession of surveying with the late Josias Richey, P.L.S. who lived so long on what is now the Tovey farm, 2nd Line Bathurst.  Before this he resided when a youth at Pike’s Falls and then came to learn the high branches at the Perth Grammar School beginning the study of surveying when 25 years of age.  He soon started business for himself in town and became the leading surveyor in the counties of Lanark, Renfrew and Carleton.  He was an authority on bounds and limits having worked on nearly every concession line between Lanark and Carleton, fixing up old lines that had first been surveyed only by compass and which were therefore as a general thing inaccurate.  His test on boundaries was called for in numerous courts in these counties and few lawyers had the temerity to impugn his evidence or knowledge in such cases.  Of late years the burden of age compelled him to give up the work of his calling and having acquired a handsome competence by his many years of labor in his profession, was enabled to live at ease for the remainder of his days and to provide for his family.  He married in the year 1856 Mary Watson daughter of the late Henry Watson, Drummond, town line (who survives him) and to them were born six children one of whom died in infancy, three daughter in (illegible word) and two surviving John Miller and Elizabeth (Mrs. Norman Riddell) of Carleton Place.  The funeral took place on Thursday to Elmwood Cemetery, the service being conducted by Rev. D. Currie, Knox Church.  Deceased was a strong man and of positive convictions and was surely ready to make them known.  He was an uncompromising temperance advocate and a staunch Liberal.  He was a Presbyterian in religion and an elder of Knox Church. His funeral on Thursday was a large one.

An old resident of Bathurst, Mrs. Donald McLaren, died at the residence of her stepson Robert McLaren, 4th Line Bathurst, on Sunday night last at the age of 83.  Another step son John McLaren, arrived from Manion(?), Iowa in time to see his aged relative still in life.  Deceased was a member of Knox Church.

Mrs. Donald McKerracher, Fallbrook, died after an illness of but a few weeks leaving a sorrowing husband and two children, the youngest but three weeks old.  Deceased was the youngest daughter of George Jordan of Christie’s Lake and was but 27 years old.  Her remains were interred in the 6th Line Bathurst burying grounds.

Maberly—The grim reaper has gathered home one of the few remaining pioneers of this place in the person of John Buchanan.  Mr. Buchanan came to South Sherbrooke some 60(?) 80(?) years ago when the country was still a wilderness and by honest toil and faithful adherence to business secured a competence that enabled him to spend his later days in comfort.  He has witnessed a wonderful change over the past 60(?) 80(?) years.  At that time Perth was the nearest post office and an ox cart was the best mode of conveyance.  Schools and churches were unknown and people had to carry wheat on their backs to the mill from ten to fifteen miles to be ground.  But those times have changed; the old neighbors have gone and Mr. Buchanan’s early friends are now dead.  He leaves a family of three daughters and two sons, a number of grand children and great grandchildren and was 90(?) years old when he died.

Perth Courier, October 29, 1897

Ferguson’s Falls:  This week it falls to us to record another death, the victim being James Sheppard, one of the most popular and brightest boys in the village.  He had always been a robust, healthy boy but an attack of measles last spring seemed to leave behind them something which in unison with jaundice which he contracted about three weeks ago, resulted in his death.  He seemed to be recovering but on Thursday night the disease reached the brain and he died the following evening.  His death is a heavy blow to the family coming as it does only six weeks after that of his father.

The angel of death has been hovering in this vicinity during the past week and summoned several to that land where death never enters.  On Thursday last Mrs. Jno Caldwell, Sr., received her call and paid the debt of nature at the age of 79 years.  The deceased was a native of Scotland and she and her husband were among the first settlers in Darling.  During their long residence there 18 children were born to them of whom five are dead.  Their first child died in infancy.  Albert and Nellie died at home while David and Harry died at Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.  The surviving children are:  Alexander, Peter and Mrs. Robert Bulloch of Reston, Manitoba; James and Thomas at Washburn, Wisconsin; John and Mrs. Peter Duncan of Dalhousie; Oliver and Mrs. D. Munro and Mrs. J. Craig of Darling; William of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin; Mrs. P. Reid, Jr., of Middleville; Mrs. Robert Black of Lavant Station.  Form some time the deceased had been in poor health and about six months ago she and her husband went to live with their daughter Mrs. P. Duncan in Dalhousie.  On Saturday her remains were interred in the Hopetown Cemetery, the Rev. Jas. A. Leitch of Watson’s Corners, assisted by Rev. J. Roadhouse of Playfair, conducting the services.  Era  (See also next issue for another obituary)

The Herald of October 26 says:  George Conn, who has been suffering from a long time with a cancer of the jaw passed over to the silent majority yesterday morning aged 70 years.  Mr. Conn has been a resident of Carleton Place for a dozen years or so and was much respected by all who knew him.”

Perth Courier, November 5, 1897

McKay—Died, at Denver, Colorado, on October 20, Mrs.J. McLean Cherrie McKay, wife of Robert McKay and daughter of George Cherrie of North Burgess, aged 43.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

We regret to learn of the death of Mrs. J. McLean Cherrie McKay, of Denver, Colorado, youngest daughter of George Cherrie of North Burgess by his first wife, which occurred in that city on October 29.  Deceased was an active church worker and was attended during her last illness by members of the W.T.C.U. in connection with the Presbyterian Church of Denver.  She was an extensive traveler in her early days having been an attendant in the family of Sir Hugh Allan and with them visited almost every part of the world.  She was a member of the Thistle Society of Montreal 20 years ago and while there the following incident occurred which was told by the Witness of that date in the following manner:  “At the general meeting of the Thistle Society last evening, a most pleasant event, among several pleasing events which have marked its early history, occurred.  After some twenty new members had been introduced, a tap, tap at the door summoned the guardian to his duty when two young ladies desired admittance—Miss J. McLean Cherrie, daughter of George Cherrie of North Burgess, who was escorted to the presence of the president, Mrs. A. McKenzie, then presented the Society with a handsome morocco covered family Bible on which was an appropriate inscription with the following motto: ‘Be true in heart; love one another’.  The president and J.J. Barrie(?), Financial Secretary…….addressed a few timely remarks after which Mr. J.A. Greenshileds paid a high compliment to the ladies and Miss Cherrie in particular for her generosity and urged the society to gather its strength and wisdom from this gift.  The donor was elected a life member of the society and being about to return to Scotland, was given many kindly expressions of good wishes for a prosperous voyage.  From a correspondent we learn that the operations of this benevolent and social society have no pretensions of interfering with the work of existing Scottish societies and while following a path peculiarly their own would be in perfect harmony with the other similar institutions.  Membership is open to (illegible word) Scotsmen and descendents of Scotland.  Montreal Witness”

Connolly—Died, on Saturday, Oct.30, Rev. M.E. Connolly, P.P., of Hastings, Ontario, aged 47.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

On Tuesday last a large number of fellow former townsmen, the members of the Perth C.M.B.A. and many others, followed tot eh grave in St. John’s Cemetery the remains of the late Rev. Father Michael E. Connolly, parish priest of Hastings, Ontario.  The deceased was a native of Perth and was the eldest son of eth late Edward Connolly of this town.  He attended the R.C. Separate School here in his youth, then the high school and attended for the arts Regiopolis(?) College in Kingston then (illegible words—maybe “under the presidency”) of Rev. Father Gautier now of Brockville.  He afterwards entered the Grand Seminary at Montreal where he took his theological courses.  He was ordained to the priesthood 25 years ago by the late Bishop Horan.  He was then appointed curator at Belleville then elevated to the pastorate at Downeyville, Ontario and then was transferred to Campbellford and finally was placed in charge of the Hasting parish which he held at his death.  The deceased was a comparatively young many, being only 47 years old and was much beloved by his people as he was possessed of a kind and generous disposition.  About ten years ago he was taken with la grippe and he never fully recovered from its effects and suffered from a chronic cold.  Added to this, came an accident about a month ago in which he was injured in one of his hips by being thrown from a buggy and this developed into acute sciatica with abscesses which at last terminated fatally.  The funeral Tuesday afternoon was conducted by Rev. Dean Gautier of Brockville, assisted by Rev. Father Duffus of Perth; Stanton of Smith’s Falls; Twohey of Westport; McWilliams of Rallton(?); Hogan of Napanee and others.

O’Brien—Died, at Perth on Friday morning, Oct. 29, John O’Brien, aged 90.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

An old resident of this town, John O’Brien, of Caroline Village, died on Friday morning of last week at the advanced age of 90 years and was buried in Elmwood Cemetery on Sunday.  He was born in County Mayo, Ireland and came to Canada with his family in 1843 working  soon after in the Perth Distillery for Robert McLaren, father of the present proprietor John A. McLaren, and remained in the employ of father and son for 37 years.  He leaves a wife and two sons and an adopted daughter.  Deceased was a Conservative and a member of the Church of England.

Dwyre—Died, at Elgin, Leeds County, on Thursday, Oct. 28, Catherine Kelly Dwyre, widow of the late Andrew Dwyre, aged 78 years and 9 months.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

On Thursday of last week Mrs. Andrew Dwyre, mother of Dr. Dwyre of this town, passed away at the venerable age of 78 years.  Deceased was born in County Wexford, Ireland in 1819 and with eight brothers and sisters and her parents, came to Canada in 1823, settling near Elgin in Leeds County.  Her husband died in 1881(?).  Deceased lived on the same farm to where she moved when married, for 60 years.

Dickenson—Died, at Kemptville, on Tuesday, October 26, John Dickenson, aged 72. (Spelling might also have been Dickinson, see below article)

Elsewhere in the same paper:

John Dickinson of Kemptville, father of Messrs. Benjamin and A.S. Dickinson of this town, died in that village on Tuesday, Oct. 26 at the age of 72.  His parents were natives of Ireland but deceased was born on the ocean in 1819.  For many years he was a bailiff at the division courts.

Duncan—Died, at Dalhousie, on Sunday, Oct. 31, James Duncan, aged 85(?).

Elsewhere in the same paper:

On Sunday last, Dalhousie township lost one of its oldest and most esteemed residents in the person of Jas. Duncan on the Highland Line.  Deceased was born in Scotland and at an early age came to seek his fortune in this then a comparatively young country.  For some weeks past he had been ailing and felt that his system was fast wearing out although he was able to be around.  It was not more than eight weeks since he was in town here and since then he attended the exhibition at Middleville when, in conversation with W.C. Caldwell of this place, he expressed his belief that the end was fast approaching.  On Friday last he was first confined to his bed and on Sunday the spark of life took its flight.  He was a man of sterling character, quick of perception, seldom erring in judgement and never afraid to stand up for what he considered right.  Of him it might truly be said “his life was gentle and the elements were so mixed in him that nature might rise up and say to all the world:  this was a man”.  He was also one of the staunchest Liberals in Dalhousie which is saying much when we consider the number of staunch Liberals which that township possesses.  Although an ardent supporter of that party, he was not narrow in his views but on the contrary was independent in thought and not afraid to condemn his party when he considered that any of the principles had been violated.  He attended every Liberal convention here within the memory of our oldest citizens and at the convention which was held in June last he was elected Honorary President of the North Lanark Liberal Association, an fitting honor for the service he had rendered, although all regret he did not live to enjoy it a little longer.  The funeral took place on Thursday at 1:00 from his late residence to the Highland Line Cemetery.  Rev. J. Binnie of McDonald’s Corners conducted the service.  Era

More on the death of Jas. Duncan:

7th Line Dalhousie:  We are sorry to hear of the sudden death of Jas. Duncan (H.(?) L. or maybe E.(?) L.) who was interred in the Highland Life Cemetery last Tuesday.

Love—Died, at Minneapolis(?) or Minnesota(?) on Saturday, Oct. 2, Jessie May Love, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Love, aged four years and four months.

McIntyre—Died, at Lanark township on Nov. 2, Alexander McIntyre, aged 83.

It becomes our painful duty to chronicle the death on Thursday of Mrs. John Caldwell, Sr., at the residence of her daughter Mrs. Peter Duncan at the advanced age of 78 years.  Deceased was born in Glasgow, Scotland and came to this country with her parents when a little child, settling in Lanark township and with them shared in the hardships and privations of the early settlers.  Sixty years ago she married John Caldwell who survives her and to them were born 18 children 13 of whom are still living.  Mrs. Caldwell also cared for three adopted children in addition to her own large family.  Some time after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Caldwell went to live in Darling Township where they have resided until last May when on account of the deceased being in failing health they came to reside with Mrs. P. Duncan.  The deceased early gave her heart to the Lord and proved His promise true over and over even down to old age and through the valley of the shadow for she fell asleep in Jesus.  A devoted wife, a loving mother, a sympathetic friend and neighbor has gone but her memory lives and her kind deeds and gentle, loving ministrations will not soon be forgotten.  Her funeral on Saturday was very large, testifying to the esteem in which the deceased was held.  Rev. J.A. Leitch conducted the funeral service assisted by Rev. J. Roadhouse of Playfair.  The remains were interred in the Hopetown Cemetery.

On Monday, Oct. 25, Miss Lizzie Gamble, daughter of the late Andrew Gamble, passed suddenly away.  Deceased had been enjoying good health until a week previous to her death when she was taken ill with inflammation of the lungs and despite medical service she sank gradually away.  She was very popular and of exemplary character and bore her sufferings with Christian fortitude.  Rev. A.H. Scott, Sr., St. Andrew’s Church, Perth, of which she was a member, conducted the funeral services.  Her death is deeply regretted by her many friends, about 140 carriages following the remains to Elmwood Cemetery.

Perth Courier, Nov. 12, 1897

Meighen—Died, at Perth on Monday, Nov. 8, Gerald Eyre Meighen, youngest son of Mr. W.A. Meighen, aged eleven months and sixteen days.

Fraser—Died, at her husband’s residence on Saturday, November 6, Donald McFarlane Fraser, barrister-at-law, Almonte, aged 37.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

On Sunday afternoon the shocking intelligence was telegraphed here that D.M. Fraser of Almonte, barrister, had injured himself fatally while on a deer hunt expedition and that his death had resulted.  The news spread around town speedily and people recalled the fact that the deceased was born in our town and had passed his early years here where his parents were once so well known.  The utmost sympathy is felt for his widowed mother and sister while his wife and children on whom the blow fell so directly, the feelings of commiseration were genuine and widespread.  Those who enjoyed Mr. Fraser’s acquaintance were no less grieved that one so amiable, genial and popular should thus be cut off in the prime of his young manhood, in the midst of health and with whom worldly affairs were so prosperous and promising.  His sister-in-law Miss Caldwell, who with her mother, was staying in town at the time, was at once driven to Almonte to the afflicted household and Mrs. Caldwell herself left for there on Monday by train.  Donald McFarland Fraser was the son of the late Donald Fraser of Perth and county attorney.  His mother was Miss McFarlane of Pakenham, sister of the late Robert McFarlane, barrister and M.P. for South Perth.  He came of sterling Reform stock on both sides and was a staunch Liberal himself.  In 1891 he became the party candidate at the House of Commons election and was only prevented by the power of the gerrymander from being elected.  In 1891 he was married to Rebecca Caldwell, second daughter of the late Boyd Caldwell of Lanark and it is sad to think that after these few years she is a widow and their four little children are left fatherless.  The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon to the 8th Line Ramsay Presbyterian Cemetery and it is said to have been the largest ever seen in that section although the day was very inclement from a snow storm that prevailed.  Besides a general attendance from the town, large numbers from Lanark, Pakenham, Perth, etc., gathered at the beautiful home of the deceased, Elm Glen, at the outskirts of town, to attend the funeral service.  Mr. Fraser was a member of the order of Oddfellows and he was interred under the auspices of that brotherhood.  The two Presbyterian ministers, Rev. Messrs. Mitchell and Hutcheson conducted the religious services at the house.  We copy the following other particulars of the accident from the Carleton Place Herald of last week:  “One of the saddest of the many shooting accidents which it has been our duty to record this season is that whereby D.M. Fraser of Almonte lost his life on Saturday night.  The party to which Mr. Fraser belonged consisted of D.M. Fraser, J.W. Wylie and Manassah Patterson of Almonte, Mr. Logie of Hamilton and W. Findlay of Carleton Place plus three others.  They were camping at Burns Lake, Griffith Township about thirty miles from Renfrew and were a very merry party up to the fatal Saturday having captured seven deer in five days.  On Saturday morning the hunters went out in parties, Mr. Fraser and Mrs. Legris, an expert hunter, going together.  They separated later on, each taking a different runway.  Mr. Fraser sighted a deer and fired two shots but failed to bring down the game.  The animal dashed out of sight and Mr. Fraser repeated his rifle, expecting another shot.  He stood upon a log and rested his right arm upon the rifle.  The butt of the rifle slipped off the log and in the drop, the weapon discharged, the ball passing through the arm between the elbow and the shoulder, breaking the bone and causing an ugly wound.  Mr. Fraser was alone and about three quarters of a mile from the lake.  He held the injured arm with the left to staunch the flow of blood and in this manner started to walk to the lake where he expected to obtain aid.  Two times he stumbled and fell and by the time he reached the water was much fatigued.  He shouted for help and Mr. Logie of his own party was the first to respond.  He tied up the wound and was soon assisted by some others from the Douglas camp.  Mr. Fraser was able to get into the canoe himself and was paddled across the lake.  He was then carried to a farm house about a mile distant where he was made as comfortable as possible and a boy dispatched to Douglas for a surgeon, a distance of 22 miles.  This was about noon and the accident occurred at 8:30.  Mr. Fraser rested comfortably all afternoon, took nourishment and had no thought of serious results nor had any of his friends.  About 9:00 p.m. Dr. Sparling arrived from Douglas, asked Mr. Fraser some questions, administered some stimulants and proceeded to examine the arm when all of a sudden the patient swooned away, the heart failing, and death resulted in a few minutes.  The party was completely overcome by the sudden collapse of their comrade and took immediate steps to reach home.  They worked all night, started early in the morning, and reached Renfrew early on Sunday with the remains.  In the meantime, Mrs. Fraser had received word of the accident at Almonte and with Dr. Lynch had traveled the entire distance to Renfrew, arriving a few minutes before the body of her husband.  Here the remains were embalmed and were sent down by the early “Soo” train yesterday morning to Almonte.  Mr. Fraser was the son of the late Donald Fraser, barrister, Perth, where he was born 37 yaers ago.  While still young, he moved to Almonte where he received his education.  He entered the law office of MacDonnell & Dowdall and later was called to the Bar.  He entered into partnership with Robert Patterson who was called to the Bar about the same time and the young men opened a law office in Carleton Place.  Shortly later, Mr. Fraser withdrew and took charge of a banking concern in Kingston for a time.  He again returned to Almonte and formed a law partnership with some of the leading lawyers but a few years ago his business tendencies led him to abandon law and to devote himself to manufacturing.  He purchased a part of the Elliott property and started a knitting factory which is one of the industries of the town.  In 1891 Mr. Fraser contested North Lanark in the interest of the Reform Party his opponent being Judge Jamieson and was defeated by a majority of only 300.  Ever since he has had the interest of his party at heart and always encouraged anything for their advantage.  In the same year he married Miss Caldwell daughter of the late Boyd Caldwell.”

Patterson—Died, at her husband’s residence in Winnipeg on Nov. 1, Annie Gertrude Baker, beloved wife of George Patterson, barrister (formerly of Perth) and daughter of the late Hugh C. Baker, Esq., of Hamilton, Ont.

Keays—Died, at Bathurst on Sunday, Nov. 7, William Keays, aged 64.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

William Keays of Bathurst, after a protracted illness for some years, died on Sunday last at the age of 64.  He was a brother of Messrs. Ansley(?) and John Keays of this town.

McIntyre—Died, at Lanark township, on Nov. 2, Alexander McIntyre, aged 83.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

After an illness of nearly a year’s duration, death came to Alexander McIntyre, one of the oldest and most respected residents of Lanark Township, and father of our townsman Alexander McIntyre.  Deceased was the son of the late David McIntyre and was born in Nairn(?), Scotland in 1814.  When 19 years old, he came to this country with his father.  The latter settled in Darling Township but the former worked in Perth at his trade of a tailor.  Some years ago he settled in Lanark Township and was married to Jane Yuill, daughter of the late William Yuill, of the 3rd Concession Lanark, who came from Glasgow to this country in 1821(?).  The union was blessed with nine children, three of whom are dead. (See also following issue)

Caldwell—Died, at his residence in Montreal on Nov. 8, John Caldwell, after a lingering illness, aged 72.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

In the person of John Caldwell of Montreal the last of the well known Caldwell brothers of Lanark has disappeared from their place in this life.  The deceased was the brother of the late Messrs. Alexander and Boyd Caldwell of that village but he left there many years ago and went into business in Montreal.  For some time back he had retired from business and lived quietly at his home on Mance(?) Street.  He was the father of J.F. Caldwell of Winnipeg, the owner and developer of the famous Sultana gold mine of the Rat Portage district.  Mr. Caldwell was 72 years old when he died and leaves a widow, a daughter and two sons.  Mrs. Caldwell was a daughter of the late Rev. Mr. Fraser, many years ago a Presbyterian minister in Lanark Village.  Messrs. W.G. and T.R. Caldwell of that village went to Montreal on Tuesday to attend the funeral.

Perth Courier, Nov. 19, 1897

Tierney—Died, at Perth on Tuesday, Nov. 18, Daniel Tierney, aged 80.

McKay—Died, at Elmsley on Thursday, Nov. 11, Tena McKay, wife of J.W. Joynt, aged 28(?).

O’Neil—Died, at the General Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio, on Nov. 12, Sarah Alice O’Neil, nurse-in-training and daughter of the late Major O’Neil of Pakenham, aged 26.

Middleville:  One of our oldest and most respected citizens died on the 2nd inst., in the person of Alexander McIntyre at the advanced age of  (illegible but looks like 84—previous issue obit said 83) years.  His funeral service was preached by Rev. S.S. Smith in the Presbyterian Church of which the deceased was a life long member.  His remains were interred beside those of his wife in the Hopetown Cemetery.  (See also previous issue)

Perth Courier, November 26, 1897

The Eganville Enterprise of November 12 says:  “On Wednesday evening last Mrs. Rebecca McLellan, at the venerable age of 82 years, completed life’s journey and her soul soared to its creator.  The deceased had been ill during the summer with the ailments attendant on advancing years but she bore her sufferings with resignation till the dread messenger summoned her to the life that knows no ending.  The late Mrs. McLellan was born in Invernesshire, Scotland in 1815 and came with her parents to Canada in 1816 settling in the township of Drummond.  At the age of 24 she married the late Angus McLellan and their union was blessed with a family of five:  Mrs. J. Jones of Eganville, Mrs. Mooney of Arnprior, Sister Joseph of Indisha(?), Allan of Ottawa and John of Denver, Colorado.  Previous to her removing to Eganville, the deceased for a time resided with Mrs. Mooney of Arnprior.  The deceased lady was well known in Carleton Place having retired there for a time.  Her body passed through on Friday to Perth where the remains were laid beside those of her husband in the Catholic Cemetery.”

From the Redwood Falls, Minnesota Gazette of November 11, we take the following notice of the death of Mrs. Mary Barber of that town, sister of Mrs. M.R. Dodds of Perth, Ralph Dodds of Glen Tay and Mrs. J.S. Ireland of Glen Tay:  “Mrs. Mary Barber died at the residence of her daughter Mrs. S. McIntosh in Echo last Wednesday morning.  Mrs. Barber had been ill some time prior to her death and her passing away was a relief from suffering.  She welcomed the approach of the Reaper and she departed from this life with a smile.  Mrs. Barber and family were among the early settlers of Redwood County.  She was born in Scotland as Mary Dodds and came to Canada when only 8.  In Canada she lived for nearly forty years and it was during her residence with her parents that she met William Barber.  They were married and some 25 years ago they came to Minnesota settling in Vesta Township.  At that time the town was unorganized and there were few if any settlers in the township.  The eye could see for many miles without seeing another farm house.  Her husband departed life shortly after they removed to this county and Mrs. Barber was obliged to manage the farm with a large family of boys and girls.  How well she accomplished this can be seen in the fact that her sons are among the leading citizens of this and Yellow Medicine Counties and her daughters married the successful farmers and businessmen.  No better Christian ever lived than Mrs. Barber.  She was sincere in her religion and devoted to the principles of good will towards all mankind.  She was 76 years of age.  She leaves six children:  Thomas D. Barber, James Barber, Mrs. Sarah McIntosh, Mrs. Jeanette Wyman, Mrs. Mary Drake, and Mrs. Jane Giten(?).  She was a grandmother to a large number of children.”

Perth Courier, Dec. 3, 1897

Rose—Died, at Glen Tay on Saturday, Nov. 18, Mrs. Sophia Rose, aged 96.

Galbraith:  On November 19, Mrs. John Foster passed away to a more peaceful world.  Deceased resided with her daughter Mrs. John Schoular.  The funeral service was preached by Rev. Mr. Hanna of Clayton in the home of her daughter Mrs. R. Penman the following Friday at 1:00, after which her remains were placed in Middleville besides those of her husband.  Deceased was 77 years of age.

Perth Courier, Dec. 10, 1897

Barlow—Died, at Perth on Saturday, Dec. 4, Nellie Barlow, in her 17th year.

McIlquham—Died, at the 11th Concession Drummond on Thursday, Dec. 2, James McIlquham, aged 78.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

James McIlquham, whose death occurred last week, was a highly esteemed and well known farmer of Drummond.  He was 78 years of age and had been an elder of St. Andrew’s Church, Lanark, for 35 years.  The Rev. D.M. Buchanan, in referring to the deceased at the morning serviced last Sabbath, said:  “During the past week beloved brother and elder of the church for upwards of 35 years was called to his eternal reward.  The late James McIlquham whose remains we yesterday bore to their last resting place, was ordained and inducted into the eldership of this church in December of 18??.  It becomes me, therefore, this morning, to now speak reference the deceased of one who has so long and faithfully served the church.  I am not using a mere platitude when I tell you that I highly esteemed our departed brother and am deeply grieved at the loss we have sustained as a session and as a congregation.  He was esteemed for his wisdom, for his kindness, and for his good works.  I can speak from experience of his life only as I have known it for the past few years.  It was the evening hours before I knew him.  So of his young days I can speak only from reputation.  The fact that 35 years ago this congregation called him to act as an elder in the church shows the confidence his fellow members nearly all of whom have now passed away, had in him then and their appreciation of his personal character and godly life.  Of his personal character I need but say little.  His life is before you and by the fruits of that life you know him.  I can add nothing else.”  (More, but not transcribed)

Troy—Died, on Thursday, Nov. 25, Daniel Troy, North Burgess, aged 84.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

An old resident of North Burgess, Daniel Troy, passed away on the 26th (?) November at the age of 84.  The deceased was a native of the County of Armagh, Ireland and came to Canada with the bulk of the Burgess settlers in 1841.  He, however, first settled in perth and worked in Templeton’s tannery off an on making his home, however, on the farm in Burgess on which he died.  He was a member of the municipal council for some years and was a gentleman much esteemed in the township.  His remains were buried in the R.C. Cemetery at Stanleyville on Saturday, 27th ult.

Campbell—Died, at Windsor, on Nov. 27, Mrs. Neil Campbell, aged 72.

Elsewhere in the same newspaper:

The remains of Mrs. Neil Campbell who died on Saturday, November 27 were interred in Windsor Grove Cemetery on the following Tuesday afternoon.  Services were held at her late residence on Windsor Avenue and a large number of her friends were present.  The Rev. Mr. Gurdy, pastor of the Methodist Church, of which the deceased was a member, conducted the services.  He paid a warm tribute to the Christian character and domestic virtues of the deceased.  She was an exemplary Christian woman and active in works of charity.  The coffin was decorated with natural flowers, a handsome pillow of yellow roses and chrysanthemums being the gift of the family, and having the words “Mother” on it.  All the living members of the family were present.  They were:  Mrs. John Foster of Windsor; Mrs. Robert Walker of Perth; Mrs. Charles Martin of Wallaceburg; Mrs. Frank Gibbs of Oil City, Pennsylvania; Mrs. William McEldowney of Windsor; and Miss Sarah who lived with her mother.  Two sons, Neil and Donald and one daughter Mrs. William Chambers of Grand Rapids are dead.  Mrs. Campbell came to Windsor about 25 years ago.  She was the daughter of Col. Taylor who served with distinction in the Peninsular War under the Duke of Wellington.  He came to Canada along with a number of other half pay British officers early in the present century and settled in Perth where he died over thirty years ago.  After his campaign in Spain he married a daughter of that sunny land and carried her to the wilds of Canada.

Sargeant—Died, at North Sherbrooke on Friday, Nov. 26, Robert Sergeant, aged 94.

Lanark Links:  We regret to record the death of Peter McIntyre, employee of the C.P.R. at Carleton Place on Tuesday last.  He had been taken ill of a fever and succumbed to it.  His mother and three brothers resided in Lanark Village.

Perth Courier, Dec. 17, 1897

One of the best known and most highly esteemed residents of the Boyd’s District passed away yesterday in the person of Henry Hammond.  The deceased gentleman was born on the farm on which he died 69 years ago and has resided in the township for the full span of three score nine years.  He was the son of the late Henry Hammond one of the pioneer settlers of the country.    During his lifetime Mr. Hammond has held many positions of trust.  For several years he was a councilor.  He was a member of the Methodist Church in which he was a class leader and Sunday school superintendent.  In politics he was a Liberal though by no means an offensive partisan.  Mr. Hammond had been suffering from rheumatism for years and latterly although enjoying fair health he did not go out very much.  Ten days ago he was in Carleton Place.  Last Tuesday he was stricken with cerebral hemorrhage and although unconscious for some hours he rallied again for a time but a second attack was too much and yesterday the end came.  Seven months ago his wife died so the chief mourners are the children.  They are:  Messrs. Alfred, Henry and James Hammond of Boyds; Wesley of Carleton Place; Mrs. Wesley Willows of Boyds.  There are also two brothers Rev. R.M. Hammond of Kingston and John Hammond on the homestead.  The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon and will doubtless be very largely attended as the deceased was widely known and respected throughout the community.  Carleton Place Herald, December 7.

Doyle—Died, on Thursday, Dec. 9, William J. Doyle son of Patrick Doyle, 5th Line Drummond, aged six years and two months.

Free—Died, at Perth on Saturday, 11th inst.  William Edward Free, eldest son of John Free, aged 17 years and 5 months.

Strachy—Died, at Ottawa on Sunday, Dec. 12, Amy E.(?) Berford Strachy, wife of Lionel Strachy, of New York and daughter of the late William W. Berford, Perth.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

After an illness of over a year, Mrs. Lionel Strachy, eldest daughter of the late W.W. Berford of this town, barrister and county treasurer, passed away in her early womanhood.  The deceased was much beloved by her many companions in Perth and universal sympathy will be extended to the mother who is now residing in Ottawa.  The Ottawa Citizen on Monday says:  “Amy E.B. Strachy of the British Consulate, New York, died suddenly last evening at the residence of her mother, Mrs. Berford, 236 Nelson Street.  The deceased lady had been ailing for some time from lung trouble but no immediate results were anticipated.  Last night when her mother was at church the daughter was seized with a sudden attack of hemorrhage and expired in a few minutes.  The funeral which will be private will take place to Beechwood on Wednesday.”

Dunham—Died, at Port Elmsley on Nov. 20, Jonathan Dunham, aged 78.

Moses Paul, Sr., of Poland died on the 13th December at the age of 91.  He was a native of Ireland having been born in the County of Antrim where his wife, Sarah McCullough, was also born.  They left the old land 58 years ago and went directly to Dalhousie.  Their surviving children are Daniel in British Columbia; James in Poland; William on the homestead; Nancy (Mrs. John Campbell) in Minnesota.

Perth Courier, Dec. 24, 1897

Ritchie—Died, on Tuesday, Dec. 14, Jane Menzies Ritchie, wife of John Ritchie, S. Sherbrooke aged 74.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

It is with sorrow that we announce the death of Mrs. John Ritchie which took place at her residence Althorpe in South Sherbrooke on Tuesday, Dec. 14 at the age of 74.  She had been gradually failing for the last four years but her death was caused by paralysis.  The funeral took place on Thursday afternoon and the remains wee followed by a large concourse of friends and acquaintances from her late residence to the Bolingbroke Cemetery.  The services were conducted by Rev. C.E. Burrell of Westport.  Deceased leaves a husband and family of four sons and three daughters to mourn her loss.

O’Brien—Died at Rat Portage on Monday, Dec. 20, William O’Brien, son of the late John O’Brien, Perth, aged 45.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

A telegram came to town on Monday from R.J. Sharpe of Rat Portage announcing the death of William O’Brien once of this town, nephew of John Weston.  The body will leave Rat Portage for Perth on Saturday and Mr. Sharpe will come with it probably arriving on the 9:00 p.m. local from the east on Monday.  The father of the deceased, John O’Brien, died here a short time ago.

Paul—Died, at Poland on Nov. 13, the wife of Moses Paul, aged 91.

Foy—Died, at Perth on Monday morning, Dec. 20, Henrietta Doyle Foy, wife of John Foy, aged 23.

James—Died, at 2nd Concession Drummond on Wed., Dec. 22, William Henry James, aged 64.

Conway—Died, at Ruglidge(?), Minn., on Thursday morning, Dec. 16, Mary Crossan Conway, wife of Hugh Conway and sister of Miss Ann Crossan, Perth, aged 54.

Carleton Place lost one of its oldest citizens named John Lyle, who died December 7 at the age of 92(?) years.  He formerly lived in Kitley and Elmsley.

Many Almonters read in the Globe of Tuesday last of the notice of death of Samuel McAdam of Buffalo, New York at the age of 44 years.  It was news that was received with regret by all who knew the deceased.  Mr. McAdam was the son of he late John McAdam of Pakenham and was the husband of a former Almonte lady Rebecca Bond, sister of R.L. Bond and Mrs. John Thoburn of this town.  Mr. McAdam began his career as an apprentice with the Gazette in their office nearly thirty years ago and was afterwards with the Toronto Globe staff for many years and later went on to another branch of business for himself.  Gazette

On Tuesday, William Hicks received a letter from Rochester, New York that is brother-in-law, Henry Likely of that city had died in New York, the message giving no particulars.  As the deceased was a native of Perth and a tie between the old times and the new, we have gathered a few particulars of the life of the deceased gentleman.  Mr. Likely was born in this town about 1830.  His parents were natives of England and his father was a tailor having a shop in the premises now occupied by Messrs. H.B. Wright and Sons.  Sheriff Thompson was an occupant of the building at the same time being then the proprietor of the Courier and the two being the first tenants of the structure.  Among those who learned their trades with the elder Mr. Likely were J.H. McKerracher yet following the same trade on Wilson Street.  Deceased started to learn the tinsmith trade with the late John Campbell in the shop now occupied by John Ferrier on Gore Street but in 1848 he quit that trade and left for Rochester where he entered the trunk making establishment of a Mr. Pritchard at whose death the concern passed into his hands.  The business grew and prospered and now consists of an immense building for manufacturing trunks and two retail warehouses in the city.  He leaves two sons William and Henry to carry on the business.  His brother had a similar establishment in Cleveland, Ohio.  Deceased was an ardent Republican and a prominent man and so much thought of was he that he was offered last year the nomination for mayor which he felt called upon to decline on account of his health and the demands of his business.  His sister was mother to William Hicks of this town but she died many years ago.

From the Almonte Times of Dec. 18 we take the following obituary notice of an early settler in Pakenham Township, father of Mrs. Robert(?) Scott of this town.  “On Tuesday of this week, Ingram Scott, one of the oldest and most esteemed residents of Pakenham, passed to his reward at the age of 93(?) years.  The late Mr. Scott was born in the County of Sligo, Ireland, near the town Sligo in the year 18??.  He emigrated to Canada in 1831(?) arriving here on the 4th of July of that year and settled on a farm in Pakenham on which he lived continuously until a few years ago when he retired from active life and moved into the village.  In 1837 he married Esther Elliott, one of the pioneers of Fitzroy Township.  In September of 18??, his beloved wife passed away and since then his care devolved upon his daughter Susan who carefully attended to him.  His children numbered nine. Two (John and Thomas) died in infancy.  Margaret, the wife of Rev. W.W. Ryan, died at Three Rivers, Quebec in March of 1985(?).  The living are: David E. Scott of Port Hope; Robert Scott of Pakenham; Mathilda (Mrs. Robert Scott) of Perth; George Y. Scott of Pakenham; Eliza Jane, widow of the late Rev. J.H. Stewart of Kingston.   Susan, already mentioned, lives in Pakenham.  There are 29 grandchildren and six great grandchildren.  In 18?? (1832??), the late Mr. Scott united with the Methodist Church of which he remained a faithful and consistent member until his death.  Shortly after his connection with the church he was appointed a class leader and held the office for the rest of his life.  He also served his church in the same time as a member of the Quarterly and Trust Boards and was always ready to respond to the call of these boards when people demanded it.”  (Transcriber’s note, Mathilda, the daughter—I checked this twice, her married name was also Scott as her maiden name.)

Lanark Links:  We regret to hear of the sudden death of Miss Margaret Burns, daughter of John Burns of Lanark Township.  She took ill Saturday last at her brother’s where she had been staying for some time and went home to her father’s where she died on Tuesday morning.

Perth Courier, Dec. 31, 1897

Burns—Died, at Lanark Township, on Dec. 21, Margaret Elizabeth Burns, daughter of John Burns, aged 20.

Loney—Died, at Franktown, on Dec. 26, Robert Loney, aged 56.

Cochrane—Died, at Carleton Place on Dec. 24, Jean A. Cochrane, second daughter of Andrew Cochrane, aged 24 years, 4 months.

McIntyre—Died, at Ramsay on Dec. 23, Jessie McIntyre, daughter of the late John McIntyre, aged 33.

Seymour—Died, at Carleton Place on Dec. 17, Margaret Ellen Seymour, aged 46.

McGibbon—Died, at Cornwall, Dec. 18, John McGibbon, third son of the late John McGibbon, of Beckwith, aged 29 years and 9 months.

Shaw—Died, on Saturday, Dec. 25 at 27 Harbard(?) Street, Toronto (the residence of her son-in-law Alexander Fraser), Mathilda Berford Shaw, wife of the late Robert Shaw of the Inland Revenue Department, Ottawa.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

We learn from the Ottawa Citizen of the death in Toronto of Mrs. Mathilda Shaw, mother of James F. Shaw of the Inland Revenue Department of Ottawa and wife of the late Richard Shaw.  Deceased was the daughter of the late W.R.F. Berford of Perth, county clerk and was born in this town.  The family was once one of the best known in the neighborhood but there are now no longer any members of the family left in this vicinity.

It is our painful duty to record the death on Saturday last of Francis James Spalding of the Scotch Line, Bathurst, youngest son of the late John Spalding, in the 33rd year of has age.  Deceased was the victim of consumption.  He leaves a wife, daughter of the late John Bothwell of Drummond.  Mr. Spalding was a member of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and one of the board of managers.  The funeral on Monday last to Elmwood Cemetery was a very large one.

Posted: 15 November, 2005.