Your home for Genealogy in the Niagara Region in Ontario!
|Go to Lincoln County||Welland County -- Bertie Township -- Biographies|
JOSHUA F. BEAM, Black Creek, was born in Bertie Township, on the tenth day of May, 1844. His father was Adam Beam, who emigrated with his father, John Beam, from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, at the age of eleven. He took and active part in the war of 1812, when a young man, as one of the Canadian Militia, in engagements at Fort Erie. On one occasion a considerable force ofAmericans were attempting to cross Niagara River in boats to Canada, when the much smaller Canadian forces marched out from behind a hill and forest thicket along the frontier, and after firing at the enemy reloaded their muskets while rapidly marching back around the hill and out again at the same place along the river, and thus continued marching and firing. This skilful maneuver had the desired effect; appearing to the Americans like a much larger force of British marching out to the front, and they returned to the United States, while numbers of their affrighted and wounded soldiers were seen to leap into the water on their way back. Adam Beam was afterwards an officer in the Sixth Company, Third Lincoln Militia, under Capt. Jacob Gonder. The military spirit continues to be represented in the family by his sons, Major Joseph G. Beam, Elora, Ont., and Captain and Adjutant Morris J. Beam, St. Marys, Ont. Our subject's mother was Catharine (Gonder) Beam, a daughter of Jacob Gonder, one of the pioneers of Welland County, whose biography appears elsewhere in this volume. Rev. Henry Boehm, (Beam is originally from the German Boehm) a great uncle of our subject, was one of the pioneers of Methodism in the United States and Canada. He died in 1876 at the advanced age of one hundred years and six months. In his ninety-seventh year he preached at Ridgeway, Welland and Black Creek, when on a visit to Canada, from his home on Staten Island, New York. See Boehm's "Reminiscences," historical and biographical ; Carlton & Porter, publishers, New York. Our subject, who is one of a family of fourteen who grew up to manhood and womanhood, received his education at different institutions in Canada and the United States. He studied music with some of the best masters during several years' residence in New York and other American cities. Being endowed by nature with a voice of rare power and richness, he began life as a professor of vocal music; a profession he followed for a number of years, during which time he conducted numerous concerts and successful musical conventions and festivals, at the city of Warsaw, Indiana and different points in that state and other places in the United States and Canada, and acted as correspondent of the American Art Journal of New York and other papers. At present he resides in Bertie on the old homestead farm at the forks of Black Creek, and is a wholesale timber dealer, shipping large quantities of that production from Georgian Bay and other parts of Canada to the United States, and has a business office in Buffalo.
J. A. BEESHY, watchmaker and jeweller, Ridgeway, was born in the county of Waterloo, Ont., in December, 1854. His father was of French extraction and his mother was the daughter of Tobias Warner, who came from Pennsylvania early in the present century and settled in the township of Waterloo, near the site of the present village of Hespeler, which was then an unbroken forest. Our subject is the youngest of a family of seven, four girls and three boys. One of the brothers is located near Collingwood, Ont., and the other in Ohio. Mr. Beeshy received his education in the town of Waterloo and at the age of fourteen went to learn the trade of watchmaking. After serving his time his health failed, and seeking a change of occupation and location he came to Ridgeway, where he was employed as a clerk by Mr. Zavitz for a year, at the end of which time he began business in the line of watches, clocks and jewelry on his own account, in Ridgeway, and has continued to carry it on ever since, enjoying a liberal patronage. He was agent of the Dominion Telegraph Company when that line had an office in Ridgeway, and at the eime of the amalgamation of the Dominion and Montreal Companies he was appointed for the Great Northwestern, and still has the office in his store.
THOMAS BIGGERSTAFF, proprietor of the Queen's Hotel, Ridgeway, is a son of Thomas and Mary (Kimble) Biggerstaff, of Chipping Morton, Oxfordshire, England. He was born on February 14th, 1859, and came to Canada in 1882, landing in Quebec on May 20th of that year. Coming to Welland shortly after, he engaged at his trade, stone-cutting. He is a member of Merritt Lodge, No. 168, A. F. & A. M., of Welland, having been tyler of said lodge ; he was W. Grand in 1880 of Good Intent Lodge, 1703, City of Oxford, England, and a member of Manchester Unity Order of Oddfellows. Mr. Biggarstaff is a member of the Episcopalian Church, and was married in St. Mary Magdalene Church, Oxford, England, (the church in which Latimer, Cranmer and Ridley were incarcerated previous to their martyrdom) February 14th 1880, to Harriet Ann, daughter of Frederick Castle, of Oxford. They have a family of two : named Joseph, born in Oxford, England, July 25th, 1881, and Charles Thomas, born in Welland, Ont., May 16th, 1885.
JOHN BRACKBILL, farmer, was born in that part of Crowland Township which lies between the present town of Welland and the Village of Cook's Mills, on the 21st day of August, 1815. His father came to Canada previous to the war of 1812, and settled near Niagara Falls on property then owned by Captain Hardy. During the war he removed to Crowland Township and purchased the farm on which he lived when our subject was born. Jno. Brackbill, at the age of twenty-four, removed to the state of Michigan, and was there married to Martha, a daughter of Caleb Ingersoll, of New York State. He continued to reside in Michigan until 1852, when he returned to Canada and purchased the farm on which he has ever since resided. He is a reformer in politics. His farm is delightfully situated along the lake shore near the village of Ridgeway. It possesses facilities for drainage unsurpassed by any other farm in Welland County. Mr Brackbill's mother was Sarah Hamlin, a native of New Jersey, the mother of Mrs. Brackbill was Celinda Carey, a native of New York State, born near Onandaga Lake. Mr. and Mrs Brackbill were the parents of a family of seven, five of whom are living: Alice Josephine is the wife of James A. Saunders, of Parkdale; Mary Elizabeth who was the wife of James Brown, of H.M. Customs at Niagara Falls, died in November 1885; Alma Jane deceased ; Ida Louisa, the wife of Edward Cothard, of Ridgeway ; Sarah C, who is still at home, a teacher possessing superior ability and holding a provincial certificate ; Walter D., and Florence Estella.
ELGIN THOMAS CHOATE, undertaker and furniture dealer, Ridgeway, was born in Glanford Township, Wentworth County, February 19th, 1849. His parents were Thomas and Eleanor (Grahame) Choate. The grandfather of our subject was a United Empire Loyalist, whose birthplace was in the state of Vermont. As a captain of militia he took part in the battles of Chippawa and Queenston, and was also on duty during the rebellion of 1837. He obtained a grant of land in Glanford. He son, our present subject's father, occupied the position of township clerk and treasurer of Glanford for upwards of forty years. Elgin T. Choate, previous to coming to this county, filled the position of deputy-reeve of Glanford Township. He was married December 22nd, 1869 to Jane, a daughter of Thomas French of Glanford. They have three children : William Thomas, born Nov. 16th, 1870 ; Charlie Graham, Aug. 6th, 1880 ; Roy Elgin, Oct. 12th, 1884. Mr Choate is an ensign in the militia and a member of the Episcopal Church.
ERNEST ALEXANDER CRUIKSHANK, warden of the county of Welland for 1886, was born in the township of Bertie, on June 29th, 1854. His parents were Alexander Cruikshank and Margaret Milne, natives of Aberdeenshire, who emigrated to Canada in 1836, and settled near Fort Erie. He was educated at the public school Fort Erie, St. Thomas grammar school, and Upper Canada College, at all of which he was a prize-winner. He subsequently applied himself to the study of modern languages and became proficient in twelve different languages and dialects. He has held many public offices. In 1876 and 1877 he was appointed assessor of the township of Bertie, and in the latter year treasurer of the village of Fort Erie. While still holding the latter office, in 1878, he was elected reeve of that village, and was re-elected to that office in 1879, 1880, 1881, and 1882. In 1883 he was defeated, but was again elected in 1885, and re-elected in 1886, and in the latter year was elected warden by twenty one out of twenty one votes cast. His connection with the volunteer force dates from 1877, and he is at present captain of No. 4 Company, 44th Battalion. In 1882 he was appointed a justice of the peace, and in 1883 engineer for the township of Bertie. He is a member of the American Association, the Buffalo Historical Society, and other societies of a similar character ; is a journalist by profession, and has at different times been connected with the staff of various newspapers and magazines, and is the author of several translations from different modern languages. In 1879 he was married to Julia, third daughter of S. H. Kennedy, Esq., of Scanton, Pa., and resides on his farm in the Township of Bertie, near Fort Erie.
JOHN ABNER CRYSLER, of Her Majesty's Customs at International Bridge, was born on the old Crysler homstead, in Thorold Township, near Allanburgh, on the twenty-sixth day of November, 1853. His parents are William L. and Elizabeth (Bertrand) Crysler. The ancestors of the family on both sides were United Empire Loyalists. Our subject's paternal grandfather came to Canada at the time of the American Revolutionary war, and , on account of his loyalty to the British King, received a grant of land in Thorold Township. Hew served in the war of 1812, taking part in the battles of Chippawa and Lundy's Lane. After the close of the war, he settled down to farm life. His son William, the father of our present subject, was one of a family of five, and was born in 1824. He still resides on the farm, the deed of which his father received from the Crown. Mr. Jno. A. Crysler received hisprimary education at the public school of his native township, after which he attended the Fonthill high school, and subsequently took a course at the St. Catharines collegiate institute. He holds a provincial teacher's certificate, and has taught public schools in Welland County for about eleven years. He received his appointment as landing waiter and clerk in H. M. Customs in January, 1884, and was stationed for a time at Clifton, and afterwards transferred to Fort Erie, or International Bridge. He was married on the 29th of July, 1879, to Maggie, a daughter of Jonas Steele, Esq., of Pelham, whose biography appears in this volume. There are two children as a result of this marriage : J. Steele, born May 17th, 1880; and Helen Webb, born April 10th, 1883. Our subject is a member of the Episcopalian Church. He is also connected with the Orange order, in which he has the degree of Scarlet Knight, and is a pastmaster. He became a member of the Masonic fraternity in Welland Lodge, No. 36, Fonthill, in 1879, and for several terms occupied the position of secretary. Previous to receiving his appointment in the Customs he was a very active politician in the Conservative party, and was for some time secretary of the Thorold Township Association.
BENJAMIN MOORE DISHER,merchant, Ridgeway, was born in the township of Pelham on the 13th day of October, 1838. He is a son of Thomas and Philura (Andrews) Disher. He was married on the 15th of March, 1864, to Ellen Marilla, a daughter of Henry C. and Phoebe (Morgan) Dickout, and grand-daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Clark) Dickout, both natives of Pennsylvania, and of German origin. Henry C. Dickout was born near Ridgeway in 1817 and died on 19th March, 1886, having followed farming throughout life. Our subject has two sons : Ward Beecher was born May 31st, 1867 ; he has finished a course at the British American Commercial College, Toronto, and is engaged with his father in the store. Merritt Vincent was born March 30th, 1870, and has adopted printing as his avocation. Mr. Disher's mercantile business is extensive and his stock always large and varied. He is also proprietor of a saw-mill, foundry and machine shop in Ridgeway, and has a half-interest in the manufacture of the "Buffalo Forge", a useful article in large demand. He was for two years clerk of the township of Bertie, and the present year (1887) is a member of the municipal council. In 1884 he was appointed justice of the peace. He is a member of the Methodist Church; also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and of the Royal Templars of Temperance.
REV. T. J. BROWN was born in the township of Burford in the county of Brant, on the 2nd day of June, 1858. His parents were John and Ellen (Adair) Brown, the former of whom was born in the county of Down, and the latter in Armagh County, Ireland. They came to Canada in the year 1855 and settled in Burford, which was the birthplace of the subject of this sketch. Here he spent his childhood and early boyhood ; attended the public school of the section in which his father's farm was situated, and afterwards went to Albert College, Belleville. He entered the ministry in 1879 as assistant to Superintendent Rev. J. R. Phillips, of Oaklands Circuit ; afterwards was at Westminster, Aylmer, St. Marys and Dunnville. He was ordained at Hamilton by the Rev. Drs. Williams and Carman, in the year 1884 ; this was the first ordination by the united conference of the Methodist Church. He was next pastor of Welland West Methodist church, and in June 1885, was transferred to International Bridge, after filling which appointment, and in the fall of 1886, he accepted the position of pastor of the Congregational church at Mukwonago, Wis., where he still resides. He is an eloquent and earnest preacher. His fine flights of oratory always secure and retain the sympathy of his listeners. He was married October 8th, 1885, to the widow of the late Dr. Haney, M.P.P. He is connected with the Masonic fraternity, being a member of the Prince of Wales Lodge, No. 171, Iona ; also a member of the I. O. O. F., International Lodge, No. 228, at International Bridge ; and a member of the Royal Black Knights of Ireland.
RALPH DISHER, farmer, Ridgeway, was born in Chautauqua County, New York State, in 1821, and came to Canada in 1833 with his father, Thomas Disher, who was born in Queenston in 1789. They settled at the Short Hills, but in 1845 moved to Ridgeway, the present home of our subject. His father died in 1848 and his mother in 1877. Mr. Disher's grandfather was of Dutch descent, and had ten children, all of whom grew to man's estate ; they all came to Canada and settled in Pelham, many of their descendants still living there. The subject of our sketch has been in the township council and is at present township treasurer. He married Sarah Ann, daughter of David Morgan, noticed elsewhere in this work. They have a family of four daughters : Minerva, living in York State ; Cora G., married to Mr. Young; Bertha, married to Mr. Learn, and Ruth P.
JOHN EDGEWORTH, postmaster and general merchant, Stevensville, second son of Thomas Edgeworth and Marjory (Robertson) Edgeworth, was born October 15th, 1857, at Windham Centre, Norfolk County, Ontario. Thomas Edgeworth moved from Windham Centre to Teeterville and settled on a farm in 1860, where he still resides. Thomas Edgeworth conducted a general store for several years, and up to 1876, at Teeterville, assisted by his son John as clerk. In the fall of 1877, Thomas Edgeworth purchased a flouring mill at the town of Amherstburg and was accompanied there by his son John, who became a partner in conducting the milling business. On the 29th day of October, 1879, John Edgeworth was married to Terese Force, daughter of George and Maria (Powell) Force, of Windham Centre. Mr. And Mrs. Edgeworth are united with the Methodist Church. John Edgeworth withdrew from the partnership in the milling business in the spring of 1880, and accepted a situation on the Canada Southern Railway as a telegraph operator, having previously acquired a knowledge of telegraphing when clerking in his father's store. He continued in the employ of the railway for about three years, resigning on account of poor health. Previous to this he leased Thomas H. Allen's brick store in Stevensville for three years, taking possession of the same in March, 1883, and opening a general store. In November following, by removal of T.H. Allen, he was appointed postmaster for Stevesville. During 1885 he erected a store and dwelling combined on the corner of Main and Air Line streets, moving into it late in 1885. The building is a substantial frame, with many advantages and creditable to any town in the county. He has enjoyed an increasing trade from the beginning and intends making Stevensville his permanent home. The Great Northwestern Telegraph Office is located in connection with the postoffice in his store.
EDWIN HERSHEY, deceased, was born on the old homestead on the Niagara River, this township, March 10th, 1839, and met his death by accident in crossing the International Bridge at Fort Erie, September 29th, 1882, in the forty-fourth year of his age. He was educated at the common schools of his native county and at the commercial college and other educational institutions of Buffalo. The following is an obituary notice copied from the Welland Tribune of October 6th, 1882, with a few alterations: " Mr. Hershey had never married. He was a thoroughly representative man and Canadian. Those who knew him best esteemed him most. Born on the place he lived, and where he acquired a large competency , he was esteemed and respected by the whole community as a Christian gentleman, and as an exemplar in morals as will as in social life. He was a member and liberal supporter of the Church of England. In politics all his life long he was an earnest and consistent Liberal, his efforts in that cause being so conspicuous as to make him the unanimous nominee of the Reform party at the Dominion election in 1878. For many years past he had, as reeve, managed the municipal affairs of his large and prosperous township so successfully that opposition to his candidature had ceased, and he was repeatedly returned by acclamation. One year he held the honorable office of warden of the county, which he filled with marked ability. He was one of the most active and valuable members of the county council, being thoroughly conversant with all its affairs. At the time of his death he was on the marsh lands and other important committees. His neighborhood, his township, the county, aye , the country, lose in him one of their most valued and valuable citizens. In his demise a vacancy is created which it will indeed be hard to fill. But it was socially that the deceased gentleman appeared in the best and brightest light. His gentlemanly, courteous and cheerful manners endeared him to all who knew him. His life afforded a striking example of filial and brotherly love. Left in charge of family affairs at an early age by the death of his father, Abraham Hershey, his unfailing care was to minister to the comfort and happiness of those in a sense looking to him as their protector , which it seemed ever his greatest pleasure to be." His mother, a sister of Rev. John Baxter, died in February, 1882. Of the family but five remain : Mrs. A. Thompson of Welland and four sisters at home. He, as well as his parents, are interred in the McAffee burying ground, near the homestead on Niagara River. The ancestry of Mr. Hershey can be traced to Switzerland, where in 1702 Andrew Hershey was born. He had to leave his native land on account of religious persecutions, and for a time lived on the bank of the River Rhine in France. In 1719 he emigrated to America and settled in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, where the great-grandfather of our subject was born, named Benjamin, born in the last mentioned place, Nov. 14th, 1776, came to Canada in 1795 with his family of five sons, Christian, Abram, Benjamin, Henry and John, and settled on the Niagara River , near to where stands the fine residence now occupied by the joint owners, Emily, Kate, Mary and Ruth M., who have managed to property, estimated at $50,000 with ability and success. Their father, Abraham A. Hershey, was born Nov 5th, 1811 and died May 13th, 1858. Their mother was Elizabeth, daughter of John and Elizabeth Baxter, who were U.E. loyalists and among the earliest pioneers of the county.
DR. JOHN B. HERSHEY was born in the township of Bertie in 1816. His father, Benjamin, a native of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, was born Nov. 14th, 1776, came to Canada with the grandfather of our subject - also named Benjamin - in 1795, who brought with him his family of five sons, named Christian, Abram, Benjamin, Henry and John, and settled on the Niagara River, about four miles below the International Bridge. The ancestry dates back to Switzerland, where, in 1702, Andrew Hershey was born. He had to leave his native land on account of being persecuted for his religion. This noble young man, not being willing to forego his convictions of conscience, chose rather to leave his native land, and for a time took up his abode on the banks of the River Rhine, in France. From there, in 1719, he came to America and settled in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, where, for two or three generations, the descendants lived. In 1795, as previously stated, Benjamin, the grandfather, immigrated to Canada, bringing with him his family of five sons. Dr. John B., our subject, is largely self-educated, and from extensive reading and close application to sttudy he qualified himself for the practice of medicine. For many years he has followed the practice of his profession, making a specialty of curing the disease of cancer. His success in this direction has gained for him wide popularity, so much so that people from the different States and Canada are continually consulting him in regard to that dread disease. His system of treatment, essentially his own, is wonderfully successful in many cases. His son, John B. Hershey, educated in the institutions of Canada and the United States, received his license to practice medicine and is now located in the city of Buffalo. He is associated with his father in the special treatment of cancer.
H. N. HIBBARD, conveyancer, notary public, issuer of marriage licenses, &c., Ridgeway, is a son of Chancy M. Hibbard and Asenath Humphries, natives of the state of Vermont, who emigrated to Canada in November, 1834, and settled in the township of Bertie. The family consisted of three children : Jane Asenath, born Jan. 5th, 1828, and married H.J. Beam of Willoughby; Charles Samuel, who was born Oct. 2nd, 1834, is a farmer in Bertie; Henry Nobles, our present subject, was born July 16th, 1833; he was married on the 21st day of October 1861, to Lovila Balcomb, daughter of Wm. Balcomb, of the county of Elgin. He was for a number of years a public school teacher, and is an ordained minister of the Methodist church. He settled in Ridgeway in 1875, and is a useful member of society there, filling the position of superintendant of the Methodist Sabbath school and occupying prominent positions in various benevolent institutions. He was one of the organizers of the Bertie and Willoughby Fire Insurance Company and is secretary-treasurer of that institution. His children are Milton B., born June 15th, 1865; Murray H., Aug. 18th, 1866; Nellie L., April 18th, 1868.
ALFRED B. HURRELL, general merchant, Amigari, was born in Devonshire, England, on the eleventh day of October, 1850, and came to Canada in 1854, with his parents, John and Mary (Davis) Hurrell. They settled in the county of Wentworth, near Sulphur Springs, in the township of Ancaster. The subject of this sketch learned the carpenter trade, and worked at the construction of the International Bridge from 1870 to 1873, after which he was employed on the old ferry, conveying cars across the river to Buffalo. At the completion of the bridge he moved to Amigari, and was employed in the Grand Trunk shops until June 1883, when he entered the mercantile business. He is now deputy-postmaster of the place. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, occupying at present the high position of master of Palmer Lodge; he united with the Masons about fourteen years ago. He has been a member of the I.O.O.F. since formation of the Bertie Lodge in 1874, and was a charter member of International Lodge, No. 228, situated at International Bridge. In December, 1869, he married Ellen Fields, an adopted daughter of Daniel Fields of Dundas, by whom he had two children, Mary Louisa and Alfred. She died in May 1875, and in September, 1877, he married, Agnes, a daughter of James S. Stygall, of Buffalo.
ALVA HAMILTON KILMAN, principal of the Ridgeway public school, was born at Stamford Village, April 4th, 1853. His grandfather, Jacob Kilman, was a native of Pennsylvania, having been born in that state December 1st, 1775, and married Mary Petrie, who was born August 25th, 1780. They emigrated to this province during the early days of this century, and located in Stamford Township, taking up seven hundred acres of land in the neighborhood of what is now the town of Niagara Falls. Jacob Kilman was engaged in the battle of Lundy's Lane, where he was severely wounded and captured by the Americans, by whom he was held prisoner for thirty days. He had a family of eleven, including Jacob, the father of our present subject, who was born March 9th, 1819. He was married October 12th, 1843, to Amoret, daughter of Josiah Page, of Thorold Township, and had five children, viz : Milton, born August 27th, 1845; Emily, November 3rd, 1847; Josiah E., April 30th, 1851; Alva H., April 4th, 1853; Willie O., July 7th, 1861. The father held prominent municipal offices, and was an active member of the Methodist church. Our subject matriculated at Ann Arbor University in 1875, and subsequently attended the Normal School at Toronto, from which he obtained a provincial certificate in 1879, since which time he has had charge of the Ridgeway public school. He is passionately devoted to art, and his work on canvas is pronounced by critics to be of a superior character. He has also found some time to devote to the science of entomology, and has the largest private collection of specimens in the province. His report of the ravages of the clover weevil and his description of the same to the government, is of great interest. Mr. Kilman was married August 24th, 1876, to Ida May, daughter of the late B. Noble, whose birthplace was Westfield, Mass. They have two children, viz : Leroy Noble, born March 24th, 1878, and Zella May, born March 26th, 1880. Our subject is a member of the A.O.U.W. and the I.O.O.F. He is also connected with the Sons of Temperance, and has filled various offices in that order.
JOHN McLEOD, Ridgeway, was born in the township of Lancaster, Glengarry County, Ontario, on the 17th day of April, 1847. He is a son of Murdock and Isabella (Stewart) McLeod, and grandson of Roderick and Isabella (Ross) McLeod, who were married in Canada in 1812. His great grandfather was Norman McLeod. All the ancestors were of Scottish descent. The grand-parents of our subject were among the earliest settlers of Glengarry. When they came to this country wheat was cultivated with a hoe of the most primitive make. After harvesting the crop with a sickle, threshing with a flail, and winnowing the grain by pouring from one basket into another, they would start with a bag on their backs to the mill, several miles through the woods, and return with the flour. Such were the hardships of those days. The subject of this sketch is one of a family of twelve, of whom eleven survive; he was married on the 6th day of January, 1870, to Ann Caroline, daughter of Christian and Catharine (Helmer) Fite, and grand-daughter of Thomas and Sarah (McGlaskey) Fite. They have had a family of five, three of whom survive: John A., born December 16th, 1870; Annie, born April 7th, 1874 ; Clara May, born December 4th, 1884. Mr McLeod is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. His hotel is a commodious, comfortable house of entertainment, is warmed throughout by a hot air furnace, and he is a genial and accommodating host.
JAMES E. MORIN, Lieut.-Col., Ridgeway, Ont., M.P.P. for county of Welland, was born in the county of Limerick, Ireland, on the tenth of May, 1849. He is a son of Michael and Ellen (Nash) Morin. His father adopted the business of wagonmaker and came to Canada in 1851, settling at Port Robinson, Welland County, where he engaged in the work of carpentering. He died in the following year, leaving seven of a family, the subject of this sketch being the youngest. Col. Morin completed his studies at the Commercial College, Buffalo. He left school at the age of fourteen years, and began to learn the trade of carpenter under E. Cutler, and continued at this occupation about a year, when Mr. Cutler opened a general store, and Mr. Morin abandoned his trade and entered into mercantile business. In 1865 he was appointed manager of the firm, and this position he still holds. We may say that the business has increased very greatly, Mr. Cutler engaging in large roller flouring mill operations and in building and contracting. The sole management of all this large undertaking is in the hands of the subject of this sketch. Mr. Morin joined the militia in 1867, the 44th battalion in 1868, and entered military school in Toronto. Here he gazetted a captain of the No. 7 Co. Again in 1872, he was appointed major of the 44th battalion, and in June, 1877, was promoted to the lieut.-colonelcy. In May, 1870, Capt. Morin saw active service, being in command of the detachment stationed at Fort Erie during the Pigeon Hill affair. He is now in command of the 44th. In 1871 he was appointed township clerk of Bertie, and still holds that office. He was appointed justice of the peace, and was also license commissioner for six years. He has been chairman of the Ridgeway school board for six years, taking much interest in educational work. In 1883 Col. Morin was elected to the Ontario Legislature for the county of Welland, defeating G.L. Hobson, Esq., the Conservative candidate, by a majority of 55 votes, the riding havin previously been Conservative. He was again elected December 28th, 1886, by a majority of 293. He has always been an unflinching Reformer, and is eminently endowed with the energy, ability, and all the qualities that ensure progress. He married in September, 1870, Janet A., daughter of the late Alexander Willson, a descendant of a U.E. Loyalist. They have a family of five children.
CLAYTON HARRISON PATTISON, Fort Erie, was born September 1st, 1843. His parents were Ambrose and Mary (Buchner) Pattison. The father of our subject was born in Schoharie County, among the Catskill Mountains, in the state of New York, August 27th, 1803, and came to this country with his parents at four years of age. The family located in Welland County. He was actively engaged with the militia during the troublous times of 1837. The maternal grandfather of our subject was a U.E. Loyalist, whose buildings were used as a barracks at the battle of Cook's Mills. Our subject was one of a family of nine children, seven of whom are living. He was married December 24th, 1879, to Emily, daughter of John Papst, of Sanilac County, Michigan. They have five children viz : John Francis Thorburn; born March 6th, 1872 ; Clayton Rudolph, born October 14th, 1873 ; Albert Ward, born June 14th, 1876 ; William Henry (deceased), born June 27th 1878 ; Mary Emily, born October 24th, 1880. Mr Pattison is a member of International Lodge, No. 228, of the I.O.O.F. He recently engaged in the hotel business in Fort Erie, where he has a nicely situated and commodius house.
SAMUEL PORTER, Fort Erie, was born in the county of Tyrone, Ireland, 24th March, 1846. His father was William and his mother Annie (Cooper) Porter. Both parents were of Scottish origin, but born in Ireland. Our subject was educated in the national schools of the Emerald Isle, and came to America in 1870, and spent six years in Philadelphia, after which he went to London, Ontario. After remaining five years in that city, he went to Fort Erie, where he still resides. He married Clara J., daughter of Dr. W. J. Hoskins, of Philadelphia. They have four children, three boys and one girl. Mr. Porter held the position of village clerk in Fort Erie for one year. He is an adherent of the Eposcopal church, and a member of the Loyal Orange order, also the Knights of Malta. He is a Conservative in politics. He was one of the chief agitators in connection with starting the International Ferry between Fort Erie and Buffalo under its present auspices.
CRANMER RISELAY, farmer, was born in the township of Bertie, on the farm upon which he lives, May 31st, 1831. He is a son of John and Catharine (Miller) Riselay, (the former born in Bertie on the lot onwhich his ancestors settled before a survey was made of the township,) and grandson of Christian Riselay, who came from Rhinebeck, on the Hudson River, state of New York, as a U.E. Loyalist, during the American revolutionary war. The latter was the only one of his father's family who took the side of the British during the struggle, his brothers joining the revolutionary party. At the close of the war his property was confiscated, and to secure protection he came to Canada and settled on the Niagara. Subsequent to his settlement the survey of the township was made, but Chritian Riselay was not disturbed in his possession. He, for his loyalty, was awarded an additional 200 acres, where our subject now lives, a short distance from his former location. Here he lived to the age of 73 years, respected by all who knew him. During the war of 1812 he was taken prisoner by the Americans, carried to the state of New York, billetted with the Rev. Mr. Fillmore, uncle of the President of the United States, and compelled to pay for his board. After his return from his imprisonment in the state of New York, the times had become so troublesome, he was obliged to leave the frontier. He loaded his family and effects on wagons as best he could, but before getting out of sight of his home he saw his buildings all in flames so he journeyed on in to the township of Pelham, where he remained until the war was over, when he returned with his family to the farm on which our subject now resides. He was of German origin, his ancestors having left that country because of persecution for their religious opinions, about 1698. Cranmer Riselay's father, was also taken prisoner during the war of 1812, but his youthfulness induced the Americans to relinquish their severity, and he was liberated in a short time. He lived to the age of 71 years, and is buried in the church of England burying ground in Fort Erie. Mr. Riselay's mother still survives, at present in the 85th year of her age. Cranmer Riselay for a number of years occupied the position of councillor for his township. In 1883 he was elected to the position of reeve, to which he was re-elected for three succeeding years. In 1885 he was elected by the county council to the warden's chair, which he filled with marked ability. He married, October 5th, 1859, Margaret, a daughter of Henry Laur, and they had a family of five children, two of whom are dead, viz : John C. and Isabella C. The living are : Egerton E., Margaret H., and Jessie H. Mr. Riselay is a member of the church of England, and a Reformer in politics.
JOSEPH SCHRYER, of Her Majesty's customs, was born on Scugog Island on the third day of October, 1835. His father is Orange Schryer, whose biography appears elsewhere in this work. Our subject, with his parents, left Scugog Island when he was a child ; came to Buffalo, where they remained only a short time when they returned to Canada and settled in Fort Erie. This was during the time of the Mackenzie rebellion. He was educated at the public schools ; learned the trade of sign and ornamental painting and glass staining in Buffalo. He was afterwards employed as a member of the secret service ; during this time the Fenian troubles arose. The day the Fenians crossed, Mr. Schryer was on active duty, and was taken prisoner by Adjutant Fitz-Patrick, who took him before Colonel O'Neil, who liberated him. In 1874 he was appointed a landing waiter at H.M. Customs. He is now acting as sub-collector at Fort Erie, at the Ferry landing. He married Margaret, daughter of Mr. Chalmers of Moulton. They have a family of three children.
ORANGE SCHRYER, was born in the state of Vermont on the third day of August, 1802. Came to Montreal with his parents in 1810, where he was educated. He married Susan McIver a native of Ireland. They lived on Scugog Island till 1837, the year of the Mackenzie rebellion, when they came to Fort Erie. Here he served as a volunteer under Captain William Duff. He has lived in Fort Erie ever since, where for thirty years he was an officer in Her Majesty's customs, having been appointed under Lord Elgin's administration ; after this long term of service he was superannuated. He has been a member of the village council. His children are three sons : Simon, Joseph and Peter. His wife died about two years ago. During Mr. Schryer's official career he had three very narrow escapes of losing his life. Once he had seized a boat; was attacked and had to jump overboard; not being able to swim, he had great difficulty in reaching shore - barely escaping with his life. Another time he was shot at, the ball grazing the top of his head ; and once he was struck with a club, from which blow he still carries a scar.
PETER SCHISLER, Esq., deceased, was born in the township of Bertie on the farm known as the Joseph Golding farm, 21/2 miles west of Fort Erie, in the year 1810. He was the third son of John and Susannah Schisler, who were born in Pennsylvania. He had four brothers and three sisters. His parents died at the age of 68 and 67 years. Mr. Schisler was a resident of Bertie all his life. He was married at the age of 21 years to Miss Sarah Barnhart, two years his senior. He lived to see the forest give way to great orchards and flourishing towns, and had been identified with many matters of public interest, and labored zealously for the common weal of his country. His public spirit and enterprise have been proverbial, and he has been generally known throughout this district as an advanced thinker in his realm of action. He was a justice of the peace for 35 years, a member of the Bertie council for several years, school trustee for 12 years in succession, and pathmaster on his road division 22 years, his road division being the best in the county. Having secured a fair share of this world's goods, so that his old age could be passed in ease, he spent the closing years of his life in beautifying his home - experimenting on the culture of fruits and grain, giving the public the results of his investigations. The readers of all our county papers, as well as the Globe and Nail, have long since become familiar with his name and writings. Mr. Schisler was not an educated man, but he possessed a good mind and plain-robed, vigorous common sense, and was an ornament to the profession of agriculture. The time the Fenians invaded Canada he gave his fields free gratis for the military to camp on, and gave the officers in command maps and anything in his power to help them put down the invaders. Mr. Schisler had six sons and two daughters, who are all living at this present writing. If more of the aged of independant means would take the same philosophical view of life as Mr. Schisler did, after having ended a successful business career, instead of being wearied by the little vexation common to failing strength, would spend their remaining days giving to the world the benefit of their riper experience, matured judgement and vast stores of information, gathered from a half or three quarters of a century of close observation, they would add much to the aggregate knowledge of the day, double their own joys by opening a new field for the employment of their thoughts, give a new charm to existence, and make green and pleasurable the path through old age. Mr. Schisler was confined to his house but four weeks in his last illness. He was buried at the U. B. cemetery, March 22, 1880. He was a Reformer in politics, and a man that would assist any person that was embarassed financially or otherwise. His wife was buried seven years after his death on 22nd Jan., 1887.
JAMES VIGES, tinsmith, of Stevensville, dealer in tinware and stoves, was born in Port Stanley, Ont., December 8th, 1854, and is a son of Philip Viges, a native of Canada. James Viges was married in 1879 to Alice M. Burd, of Ridgeway, Ont. Worked in Ridgeway four years, and came to Stevensville January 15th, 1883, where he has since and still carries on the tin and stove business, doing all kinds of tin roofing, eavetroughing and job work. He has a first-class stock of stoves, and by his attention to business and well-directed efforts to please is doing a successful business.
WILLIAM W. WADE, tailor, has been a resident of Stevensville nearly half a century, having located there in October, 1841. He was a son of Thomas and Sarah (Frost) Wade, of Yorkshire, England, where the subject of this sketch was born, September 14th, 1814. William W. Wade came to Canada in 1829 or 1830, working in Quebec, Markham, Port Robinson and other places before settling in Stevensville. His ocean voyage was accomplished in four weeks and five days, a remarkably quick trip forthose times. When every passenger was compelled to be provisioned for eight weeks. In 1835 he was married at Markham, Ont., to Elizabeth Octoby (deceased) by whom he had two children, viz: Sarah Ann, married to John M. Tiffin, Markham, Ont., and Elizabeth, now Mrs. Alexander Hussick, residing north of Toronto. On May 4th, 1840, Mr. Wade married Margaret McDade, daughter of John and Mary McDade, of St. Catharines, Ont. Margaret McDade was born at Brantford, June 15th, 1825, at which time there was but a small settlement there named Grand River, and but one white family in addition to the McDades. Later Miss McDade removed to Port Dalhousie with her parents and resided there when the Welland Canal construction first begun. William W. Wade was in Newmarket at the time of the rebellionof 1837, and joined the volunteers, but was not called into active service. In 1842-43 and later he was sergeant in a local company of militia, and was obliged to go to Chippawa to drill. During his life in Stevensville hw has been the tailor for four generations of some of the most prominent families. The following are the names fo the children of Mr. and Mrs. Wade: William Walter, deceased; Mary Jane, born December 23rd, 1841, married to Elisha Dell, of Willoughby; John Thomas, born August 10th, 1844, married to Ida Lewis, of Edinboro, Pa. ; Rosanna S., born January 10th, 1844, widow of the late Rev. J.R. Smith ; Robert James, born 23rd February, 1849, married to Mary Reader (now deceased) and since married to Mary Elizabeth Reader ; William Edgar, born 3rd December, 1851, married Ella Ward, of Crawford County, Pa. ; Priscilla Alice, born 26th December, 1853, married to John P. Miller, of Crowland; Francis Egerton, born November 23rd, 1855, married to Effie, daughter of Isaac Taylor, a prominent citizen of Edinboro, Pa. ; Florence Euretta, born 27th August, 1858 ; Margaret Almira, born 27th January, 1861 ; Coleman Ansley, born 17th February, 1863 ; Roland Sandfield, born June 8th, 1865, telegraph operator at Suspension Bridge ; Lewis Vernon, born 16th September, 1867 ; Avadna Beatrice, born 5th February, 1875. Mr. Wade's politics are Reform.
EDWARD HENRY WILCOX, locomotive fireman on the M. C. R. R., International Bridge, was born in the county of Norfolk, Ont., on the thirty-first day of August, 1858. His parents are Edward S. and Lucy M. (Durphy) Wilcox; they were of Irish descent. Mr. Wilcox was raised to farm life, his father having followed farming and saw-milling all his life time. Our subject learned the trade of cheese-making in Boston, county of Norfolk, started a factory on his own account in the village of Cainsville, county of Brant, which he carried on very successfully for eight years. In 1884 he was employed by the M. C. R. R., and came to International Bridge, where he has since resided. He was married on the eleventh day of December, 1878, to Alice, a daughter of Isaac and Jane (Young) Nellis, of Dutch descent. They have a family of two children living, and one dead. Isaac Edward, died February 20th, 1882; Stella Jane, born September 8th, 1883; Valeria Hazel, born June 2nd, 1885.
JOHN YOUNG, merchant tailor, Ridgeway, was born in Williamsville, near Buffalo, New York State, on the first day of May 1856. He came to Canada in 1880. His parents are John and Maria (Dahl) Young. He married on the twenty-eighth day of September, 1879, Cora Georgina, daughter of Ralph and Sarah (Morgan) Disher. They have three children : Harold Ralph, Horace Milton, and Sarah Maria. Mr. Young keeps a well selected stock of tailor's goods, and being a first-class cutter and active young business man, he is building up a fine trade.
Graciously transcribed by Richard Hirst U.E.
© All pages are copyright of WebMaster.