Norfolk County Houghton Township
of Houghton lies in the south west corner of Norfolk. It is triangular in shape,
it's northern portion forming an acute point running up between the Townships of
Walsingham and Middleton on the east, and the Township of Bayham on the west.
The base of the triangle lies upon the shore of Lake Erie, but presents no
natural harbour throughout its entire extent"
"Houghton was first settled
along the Lake Road, which in its western half ran between the present Lake
Road and the shore.
The earliest settlers were the Beckers, Loucks, Burgars,
in the eastern part, and the Walker family in the east"
[1877 Historical Atlas of Haldimand & Norfolk Counties]
HOUGHTON in 1846
A township in the Talbot District; is bounded on the north-east by the
township of Walsingham; on the west by Bayham; and on the south by Lake
Erie. In Houghton 9,830 acres are taken up, 1,803 of which are under
cultivation. This is a small wedge-shaped township, the timber of which
is principally pine. There are six saw-mills in the township.
Population in 1841, 277.
[Reference: Wm. H. Smith's 1846 Canadian Gazetteer. Upper Province or Canada West. Published for the author by H. & W. Rowsell, Toronto, Courtesy of Elva Sanghera, Burnaby, B.C.]
North & South Walsingham Townships
Other Place Names