Norfolk County Middleton Township
"Middleton lies to the
north of Walsingham and Charlotteville, having Houghton and Bayham on
the west, Dereham and Norwich on the north, and Windham on the east.
The Little Otter runs through the western part, Big Creek through the
eastern part, and the Venison Creek takes its rise in the south. It is
therefore well watered, and abounds in excellent mill privileges" ...
"Middleton was settled about the time of the war of 1812...The earliest
settlers were Frederick Sovereen, Henry Sovereen, Joseph Lawson and the
Browns. Gradually settlers began to take up the lots on the Talbot Street,
which was opened for traffic in 1824... The fertile district known as Upper
and Lower Goshen was settled about 1835... The south part of the township was
not settled until later."
[1877 Historical Atlas of Haldimand & Norfolk Counties]
A township in the Talbot District, is bounded on the east by the township of
Windham, on the north by Norwich and Dereham, on the west by Bayham,
and the south by Walsingham. In Middleton 13,249 acres are taken up,
1976 of which are under cultivation. Otter Creek runs through the north-west
corner of the township, and a branch of Big Creek through the east of the
township. The land in Middleton is generally light, and the timber mostly
pine; large quantities of which are sawn up, and exported. The village of
Middleton is situated in the township, on Talbot street. There are
seven saw mills in the township.
Population in 1841, 555
Ratable property in the township, £7673
[Reference: Wm. H. Smith's 1846 Canadian Gazetteer. Upper Province or Canada West. Published for the author by H. & W. Rowsell, Toronto, Courtesy of Elva Sanghera, Burnaby, B.C.]
North & South Walsingham Townships
Other Place Names