Norfolk County Townsend Township
"The Township of Townsend is inland, being separated from the lake by Woodhouse.
It is bounded by Walpole on the east, Oakland on the north, and Windham on the west"
"The first settlers of Townsend came in from the south. The Culvers were the first
settlers of the township... they were followed by the Beemers and the Sovereens.
Immigrations went on, but slowly... The north eastern part of the township was
not settled until about 1830"
[1877 Historical Atlas of Haldimand & Norfolk Counties]
A township in the Talbot District, is bounded on the east by the township
of Walpole, on the north by Oakland and a small portion of Brantford, on
the west by Windham, and on the south by Woodhouse. In Townsend 47,871
acres are taken up, 16,623 of which are under cultivation. This is a well
settled township, containing excellent land, and many well cleared farms.
There is no large river in the township, but it is well watered by some good
mill streams, on which are one grist mill and eleven saw mills. The village
of Waterford is situated a little west of the centre of the township.
Population in 1842, 2517
Ratable property in the township, £46,210
[Reference: Wm. H. Smith's 1846 Canadian Gazetteer. Upper Province or Canada West. Published for the author by H. & W. Rowsell, Toronto, Courtesy of Elva Sanghera, Burnaby, B.C.]
North & South Walsingham Townships
Other Place Names