Norfolk County Windham Township
"This fine township
lies to the north of Charlotteville, to the west of Townsend and to the east of Middleton...
It is rectangular in shape... In form it resembles Townsend, although strictly Windham
is the only township in the county which is perfectly regular in its shape...
The south-eastern part of Windham was settled at a very early period, more especially
in the vicinity of what is now the village of Colborne. Here the Beemers, Culvers, Bowlbys
and others, had settled at the close of the last century. Soon after this a settlement was
established on the Round Plains, but it was many years before the interior portion of the
township was occupied... During the last five years of the last half century, the course of
settlement has flowed steadily on"
[1877 Historical Atlas of Haldimand & Norfolk Counties]
A township in the Talbot District, is bounded on the east by the township
of Townsend, on the north by Burford, on the west by Norwich and Middleton,
and on the south by Charlotteville. In Windham 31,710 acres are taken up,
11,396 of which are under cultivation. The township is watered by Big Creek,
which nearly runs through its centre. This is a well settled township, containing
good land, the timber is a mixture of hardwood and pine. There are one grist
mill and two saw mills in the township.
Population in 1841, 1568
Ratable property in the township, £28,203
[Reference: Wm. H. Smith's 1846 Canadian Gazetteer. Upper Province or Canada West. Published for the author by H. & W. Rowsell, Toronto, Courtesy of Elva Sanghera, Burnaby, B.C.]
North & South Walsingham Townships
Other Place Names