Norfolk County Woodhouse Township
"This township lies in the south eastern angle of the county, and consists of six
concessions and a broken front bordering on Long Point Bay. There is also a wedge shaped
tract on the west called the Gore of Woodhouse. In area, therefore, it is somewhat over
one half of an ordinary township"
[1877 Historical Atlas of Haldimand & Norfolk Counties]
Settlement started in the 1790's
along the lake front.
WOODHOUSE Townhip in 1846
A township in the Talbot District, is bounded on the east by the township
of Walpole, on the north by Townsend, on the west by Charlotteville, and on
the south by Lake Erie. In Woodhouse 28,226 acres are taken up, 10,232 of
which are under cultivation. This is a well settled township, containing excellent
land, and many well-cleared and cultivated farms. The land is generally
rolling, and most of the farms are handsomely situated. Simcoe, the district
town, Port Dover on Lake Erie, at the mouth of Patterson's Creek, and a small
shipping place called Port Ryerse, are situated in the township. The plank
road from Hamilton to Port Dover, passes through the township. The timber
in Woodhouse is a mixture of pine and hardwood. There are three grist and
eleven saw mills in the township.
Population in 1841, 1694, who are principally Canadians and Americans.
Ratable property in the township, £41,864
[Reference: Wm. H. Smith's 1846 Canadian Gazetteer. Upper Province or Canada West. Published for the author by H. & W. Rowsell, Toronto, Courtesy of Elva Sanghera, Burnaby, B.C.]
North & South Walsingham Townships
Other Place Names