Peterborough County History
History of Peterborough County
county was named after Col. Peter Robinson, who in 1825
brought 2,000 settlers from Ireland as part of Peter
in Peterborough County
Peterborough County was originally part of Newcastle District before 1841, and the Colbourne District until 1850. At this time the United Counties of Peterborough and Victoria was created. In 1861, Victoria County was given independence from Peterborough.
Peterborough County is made up of the following townships: Galway, Cavendish, Anstruther, Chandos, Harvey, Burleigh, Methuen, Ennismore, Smith, Douro, Dummer, Belmont, North Monaghan, Otonabee, and Asphodel.
[Source "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Peterborough County 1825-1875." at http://www.trentu.ca/admin/library/archives/77-028.htm]
Township Opened for settlement in 1821 [Online Books: Asphodel, A Tale of A Township, Norwood Then & Now]
and Methuen Townships Opened for settlement in 1823 but by 1842 had
only 33 householders, in 1866 only 185.
and Anstruther Townships First settled in 1861. First
Post Office was called Burleigh. Separated from Dummer
Township in 1865.
Township Opened for settlement in 1862
Township Opened for settlement in 1821
Township Opened for settlement in 1821. A Colony of immigrants came
in 1831, of whom 150 were sent out by the Marquis of Bath.
Township Opened for settlement in 1829. Originally it was called
and Cavendish Townships Galway opened in 1857 and
Cavendish in 1862
Township Opened for settlement in 1821 Was part of Smith township
until 1866. First settler were retired officers who come
in 1832, but did not stay.
Monaghan Township Opened for settlement 1820. [Online Book A History & story of North Monaghan Township, 1817-1989 ]
Township Opened for settlement in 1820
Township Settled in 1819 by Allen Otty. Online Book: Yesteryear at Young's Point]
Township [Online Book: South Monaghan, The Garden of Eden]
Plaques of Peterborough County