A View of the Valley
German Pioneer Memorial


The German Pioneer Memorial cairn was erected in 1967 during Canada's centennial celebrations and pays tribute to the early settlers who pioneered the area before the government expropriated their land for the Canadian Forces Base at Petawawa. It is located beside highway 17 on the Petawawa Plains on what used to be the northern end of the Brindle Road. The inscription of the cairn reads:

A mighty fortress is our God
This monument is erected to honour the German
Lutheran pioneers who migrated here around 1875
and who carved out of this wooded wilderness a
new home and community for themselves. Spurred
on by their faith in Jesus Christ, they endured bitter
suffering and bequeathed to us our
"Beloved Petawawa"
All that remains of this settlement is the tiny
cemetery 1.3 miles south-west on Brindle Road.
Permission to visit the cemetery now on
Department of National Defence property, must
be obtained from Headquarters, Canadian Forces
Base Petawawa. Enquire at the Base Gate.

St. Matthew's Lutheran Church cemetery which contains a cross and one tombstone, the cairn, and a few local landmarks such as Gust Point, Wegner Point, Antler Point, Black (Blech Point, Behnke Wood, Jorgens (Jurgens) Lake, Pranges Lake and Brumm's Shore are the only remaining evidence of these original plains settlers.


'A View of the Valley: German Pioneer Memorial', Timberline (UOVGG), vol.3 no.5 October 1992


Back to: Renfrew County GenWeb: History Page