Renfrew County - A Brief Outline
The following is from "Ontario Place Names", Fam Hist Lib fiche
RENFREW COUNTY, Renfrew County was named for Renfrewshire, Scotland. As a
County it was Incorporated (1) by Canada Statutes 1849, C.78, schedule A -
Lanark and Renfrew were united for judicial and other purposes as the United
Counties of Lanark and Renfrew, effective January 1, 1850. (2) by
Proclamation dated August 23, 1866 County of Lanark was separated from
County of Renfrew effective October 10th, 1866.
Area, 3,009 square miles, contains 37 Townships and is the largest County
in Ontario. Population 9,415 in 1852 and 87,219 in 1980.
The County of Renfrew consists of:
- the city of Pembroke
- the towns of Arnprior, Deep River and Renfrew
- the villages of: Barry's Bay, Beachburg, Braeside, Chalk River,
Cobden, Eganville, Killaloe Station and Petawawa
- the townships of: Admaston, Alice and Fraser, Bagot and Blithfield,
Bromley, Brougham, Brudenell and Lyndoch, Grattan, Griffith and
Matawatchan, Hagarty and Richards, Head Clara and Maria, Horton, McNab, North
Algona, Pembroke, Petawawa, Radcliffe, Raglan, Ralph Buchanan Wylie and
McKay, Ross, Sebastopol, Sherwood Jones and Burns, South Algona,
Stafford, Westmeath and Wilberforce.
Vol. 2, page 987