|HISTORY OF THE CORNWALL CHEESE AND BUTTER BOARD|
|GUY CARLETON COLQUHOUN|
|UY CARLETON COLQUHOUN was born seventy-three years ago on the old homestead known as the Gilmour Hill Farm, Indian Lands, Cornwall Township, where he is at present living. The Gilmour Hill Farm is a splendid one comprising 168 acres well stocked and under cultivation, which is at present under lease. |
The name Colquhoun is one of the oldest and finest in the community, being associated with stirring times in the early pioneer days, and always closely connected with the upbuilding of Cornwall and vicinity.
Mr. Colquhoun has seen much of the world and although now retired his reminiscences of his prospecting and mining days in Virginia City, Gold Hill, and Silver City, in 1860, during the boom times in Nevada, are intensely interesting.
G. C. Colquhoun and His Home
Our subject is a veteran of the Fenian Raid, serving as a private in the Cornwall Mounted Patrol in 1870 for which he was given and still shows with some degree of pride a bronze medal. In consideration of his services on that occasion, he was granted 162 acres of land in Northern Ontario, along the line of the Temiskaming and Ontario Railway.
Mr. Colquhoun has for some years acted as Justice of the Peace, having been appointed to that position by the late Premier J. P. Whitney.
Colquhoun's Island, just east of Cornwall, in the St. Lawrence River, was named for Robert Colquhoun, Mr. Colquhoun's grandfather, who acted as Government Agent for the Iroquois Indians, then located on the Indian Lands, St. Regis and Dundee, Que.
Mr. Colquhoun's father's name was Sutherland Colquhoun, and his mother was Frances French. He is a Presbyterian in religion, a Conservative in politics, and of Scotch descent.
|prev page 82 next page|