|HISTORY OF THE CORNWALL CHEESE AND BUTTER BOARD|
|DUNCAN A. ROSS, M.P.P.|
| Duncan A. Ross, M.P.P.|
UNCAN A. ROSS, who is forty-four years old and has been farming all his life, is recognized as one of the progressive and substantial farmers of Glengarry County. His farm, located West 1/2 Lot 33, N. R. R., Charlottenburg, Glengarry, consists of 112 acres.
He produces annually from this farm 1,000 bushels of grain, 60 tons of hay, 80 tons of corn, 300 bushels of potatoes, 150 barrels of fruit, and 150 gallons of maple syrup.
Mr. Ross, who has been a member of the Cornwall Cheese Board for twenty-one years, delivers a daily average of 350 pounds of milk to the Burn Brae Factory during the season. He produces annually over 400 pounds of butter. He has been a prize winner in horses, apples and grapes at the St. Lawrence Valley Agricultural Society Exhibition at Williamstown. Mr. Ross was director of this exhibition for several years and then became its president.
Mr. Ross attended the Ontario Agricultural College at Guelph in 1897-98, graduating in the latter year as associate of this institution. He was salesman on the Cornwall Cheese Board for years, and director and president of the Board of Agriculture of Glengarry. He was also a member of the Charlottenburg Council for three years, serving as Reeve. He is secretary-treasurer of the Martintown Branch of the United Farmers of Ontario, having been instrumental in the formation of this club locally.
When St. Andrew's and Burns Presbyterian churches became affiliated in 1906, Mr. Ross was appointed secretary-treasurer of the joint congregation, and still holds that position. He has been a director in the Martintown Rural Telephone Co. since it was organized, in 1911.
|prev page 234 next page|