top

 Place Names

 

In 1862, the Wallings Company published a large wall map showing most properties and owners. It covers SD&G as well as Prescott and Russell Counties. An 1879 atlas produced by H. Belden and Company is similar to the above wall map but in book form. It covers SD&G only and includes an historical sketch of each township as well as a directory.
Some of the following communities and townships were part of the Lost Villages

Ault Island
Osnabruck Twp, created by St. Lawrence Seaway
Aultsville
Osnabruck Twp, one of the Lost Villages of the St. Lawrence Seaway
Avonmore
Roxborough Twp, on Hwy 43 and on CPR, about 16 miles NE of Cornwall. Among the pioneers to settle here were the MacMillans, the Kedmans, the MacRaes, John Hough, A. Feek, Duncan McDermid, Adam H. Runions and Elias N. Shaver. John Hough arrived around 1842 and is said to have kept a store, built houses, acted as the local preacher, a magistrate and a doctor, and also manufactured coffins. Elias Shaver built his home near the first schoolhouse in the settlement, which was located near the present CPR tracks. The Methodists erected a church in the 1860's and the Presbyterians built a church a decade later on Paul's Hill immediately south of the village. A Post Office was opened in 1864 on the MacRae farm.
Baker's Corners
Osnabruck Twp
Barnhart Island
USA, St. Lawrence River, out from Rd 15
Beaconsfield
Cornwall Twp, now within Cornwall, south of Second Street West, to the canal and bounded by Cumberland Street on the east and Gregor Avenue (now Brookdale) on the west
The Beaver
Cornwall Twp, lots 2 & 3, conc 9
Berwick
Finch Twp, conc 6, on Rd 9, on the Payne River, about 14 miles NW of Cornwall. The area was settled at the beginning of the 19th century by Scottish immigrants. A post office was established in 1858. In the 1870's the village had two hotels, one on Cockburn Street near Union Street, the other at the corner of Cockburn and Prince Streets. A sawmill was in operation at the "Mill Pond" on the Payne River; previous alternate name was Cockburn's Corners
Black River
Cornwall Twp, conc 6 about lot 27, E of Rd 15
Bloomington
Roxborough Twp, conc 6 about lot 3
Bonville
Cornwall Twp, on Hwy 138, conc 8
Brennan's Corners
Cornwall, at Marlborough and Montreal Rd/Water St
Bunker Hill
Osnabruck Twp, Rd 14 about lot 20, could be same as Three Corners
Bush Glen
Osnabruck Twp, conc 6 about lot 31
Cahore
Finch Twp, conc 8 about lot 4
Cannamore
Finch Twp, conc 11 about lot 1 on boundary with Winchester Twp, Dundas County
Charlesville
Osnabruck Twp, renamed as Aultsville
Churchill Heights
Cornwall Twp, conc 4 about lot 11, on Hwy 138 N of Eamer's Corners
Cockburn's Corners
Finch Twp; previous alternate name for Berwick
Cornwall Centre
Cornwall Twp, W of Eamers Corners
Cornwall Island
St. Lawrence River, out from City of Cornwall
Croil Island
St. Lawrence River, out from Ingleside
Crysler
Finch Twp, conc 9, at Rd 12 & 13, on the S Nation River, about 25 miles NW of Cornwall. Named for John Crysler, UEL, member of the Legislative Assembly from 1808 - 1824, and owner of the farm on the St. Lawrence River where the Battle of Crysler's Farm was fought in 1813. Among the early settlers who came about 1802 were the McMillan and Cameron families, Moses St. Louis, John Wright, and a man named Desjardins. Many of Crysler's later pioneers were of French-Canadian descent. Early industries included a carriage maker, three blacksmith shops, Crysler's flour mill, a tannery, a tin smithy, a carding mill and a saw and grist mill. The first Post Office was opened in 1861 with John Cockburn as postmaster. By that time Crylser boasted three hotels and several general stores. The Anglicans were the first congregation to erect a church in the village. It was replaced by the present structure in 1886. The Roman Catholics built the settlement's second church and when it became too small a new church was erected in 1899, the year in which the Presbyterians also built a church.
Dickinson Island
Osnabruck Twp, created by St. Lawrence Seaway
Dickinson's Landing
Osnabruck Twp, one of the Lost Villages of the St. Lawrence Seaway, conc 1 about lot 7
Dickinson's Landing Station
Osnabruck Twp, renamed as Wales in 1860
Dixson
Osnabruck Twp, conc 6, on Rd 12
Duff Corners
Roxborough Twp, conc 1
Dyer
Roxborough Twp, on Rd 25, conc 7 about lot 10
Eamers Corners
Cornwall Twp. Named for Philip Eamer who settled on lots 9 &10, conc 4, in 1784. Site of Johnson Hotel and Red Onion Hotel, both burned down in 1891.
East Front
Cornwall Twp, E of Cornwall
East Woodlands Island
Osnabruck Twp, created by St. Lawrence Seaway
Eastern District
Est'd 1788, originally known as Lunenburg District and was comprised of all eastern counties. In 1798 it was comprised of the current counties of Carleton, Dundas, Glengarry, Prescott, Russell & Stormont
Fairview
Cornwall Twp, now within Cornwall, bounded on the south by Second west, on the north by Fifth W, on the west by Laflecheville, and on the east by the Cornwall town limits
Farran's Point
Osnabruck Twp, front, one of the lost Villages of the St. Lawrence Seaway
Finch
Finch Twp, conc 3, on Hwy 43; previous name of Berwick
Gallingertown
Osnabruck Twp, conc 4, on Rd 18
Gladstone
Cornwall Twp, now within Cornwall, bounded on the north by Manchester, on the west by Marlborough, on the south by Montreal Road, and on the east by McConnell Avenue north
Glebe
Cornwall Twp, now within Cornwall, on north side of CNR tracks, bounded on the east by Marlborough north, on the west by Pitt north, on the south by CNR tracks and on the north by Glebe road
Glenpayne
Finch Twp, conc 8 about lot 19, NW of Berwick
Glen Union
West of Cornwall (reference in Cornwall Freeholder, 1932)
Goldfield
Finch Twp, conc 3, west of Finch
Grant's Corners
Cornwall Twp, NE of Cornwall. Named for John Grant, blacksmith.
Grantley
Osnabruck Twp, conc 8 on boundary with Williamsburg Twp, Dundas County
Gravel Hill
Roxborough Twp, on Hwy 138
Gray's Creek
Cornwall Twp, E of East Front, site of first cheese factory in twp, 1867
Harrison's Corners
Cornwall Twp, conc 7
Hough Mills
Roxborough Twp, renamed as Avonmore
Ingleside
Osnabruck Twp, conc 1
Laflecheville
Cornwall Twp, now within Cornwall, bounded on the north and west by township of Cornwall, on the east by Fairview, and on the south by Beaconsfield
Lakeview Heights
Cornwall Twp, front, W of Cornwall on Hwy 2
Lodi
Roxborough Twp, conc 5
Long Sault
Osnabruck Twp, conc 1
Lorneville
Cornwall Twp, now within Cornwall, bounded on north by McDonald Avenue, on the west by McConnell Avenue north, on the south by the St Lawrence river, and on the east by Riverview
Lunenburg
Osnabruck Twp, conc 3, on Rd 12
Maple Grove
Cornwall Twp, between Mille Roches and Cornwall
MacDonald's Grove
Roxborough Twp, conc 8 about lot 1, W of St. Elmo
McMartin's Hill
Cornwall Twp, on Track Rd
McMillan's Corners
Cornwall Twp, on Hwy 138, N of Bonville, conc 9 lot 12
Mille Roches
One of the Lost Villages of the St. Lawrence Seaway
Mille Roches Island
St. Lawrence River
Monkland
Roxborough Twp, at Hwy 43 and 138; originally Monkland Station
Moose Creek
Roxborough Twp, conc 7
Morrisonville
Roxborough Twp, a post office 1885 - 1891
Moulinette
Cornwall Twp, one of the Lost Villages of the St. Lawrence Seaway
Moulinette Island
St. Lawrence River
Newington
Osnabruck Twp, conc 7
Newington Bog
Osnabruck Twp, conc 7
New Johnstown
Renamed as Cornwall prior to 1790
New Mille Roches
Cornwall Twp, conc 3 lot 26
Northfield
Cornwall Twp, conc 9
Northfield Station
Cornwall Twp, conc 9
North Lunenburgh
Osnabruck Twp, conc 5
North Star
Cornwall Twp, conc 9, Rd 9 at Rd 15, now known as Four Corners
North Valley
Osnabruck Twp, conc 6 about lot 23
Osnabruck
Osnabruck Twp, renamed as Aultsville
Osnabruck Centre
Osnabruck Twp, conc 3, on Rd 14
Pilon Island
Cornwall Twp, St. Lawrence River
Pleasant Valley
Osnabruck Twp, conc 3
Point Malin
Cornwall Twp, renamed as Cornwall before 1846
Priest's Mills
Roxborough Twp, renamed as Avonmore
Riverview
Cornwall Twp, now within Cornwall, bounded on the west by Alice north, on the east and north by the township of Cornwall, and on the south by Montreal Road
Rosedale Terrace
Cornwall Twp, conc 4 about lot 12, between Eamers Corners and Brookdale Avenue on Cornwall Centre Road.
Roxborough West
Roxborough Twp, a post office 1856 - 1865, same as Strathglass
Rush City
Roxborough Twp, Moose Creek area (reference in Cornwall Freeholder, 1932)
St. Andrews West
Cornwall Twp, conc 5
Sandfield Mills
Cornwall Twp, E of Bonville, conc 7 about lot 2. John Sandfield MacDonald, first premier of Ontario, owned a prosperous sawmill here. Also site of a small hotel and dance-hall.
Sandringham
Roxborough Twp
Sandtown
Osnabruck Twp, conc 9
Santa Cruz
Osnabruck Twp, conc 1 about lot 14, on waterfront
Sheiks Island
Cornwall Twp, St. Lawrence River, out from Rd 15
Smithville
Cornwall Twp, now within Cornwall, bounded on the north by Second west, on the west by NYC Railway, on the south by Cornwall canal and on the east by Cornwall township
South Finch
Finch Twp, conc 3 lot 13
Strathglass
Roxborough Twp, a post office 1856 - 1865
Strathmore
Roxborough Twp
Stuart Tract
Cornwall Twp, along the Raisin River
Tayside
Roxborough Twp, conc 8, on Hwy 138
Tinkess Crossing
Cornwall Twp. Toll Gate Road crossed the Grand Trunk Railway, now CNR, at Nine Mile Road, now Power Dam Drive. The railway was relocated northerly at the time of Seaway construction.
Toll Gate
Cornwall Twp, near Cornwall Centre
Tolmies Corners
Roxborough Twp, conc 6
Valley Corners
Roxborough Twp, conc 7, about lot 12, on Hwy 138
Wales
Osnabruck Twp, one of the Lost Villages of the St. Lawrence Seaway, established as Grand Trunk railway stop named Dickinson's Landing Station, it was renamed Wales in 1860 to honour the visit of the Prince of Wales.
Wales Island
Cornwall Twp, created by St. Lawrence Seaway
Warina
Roxborough Twp, conc 5 about lot 12, on Hwy 138, N of Monkland
Windmill Corners
Roxborough Twp, Tayside area??
Windmill Point
Cornwall Twp, City of Cornwall, now site of St. Lawrence College
Woodlands
Osnabruck Twp, on St. Lawrence, conc 1 about lot 18
Woodlands Island
St. Lawrence River, Osnabruck Twp



Sources:

bullet Ontario Locator
bullet Nick and Helma Mika, Places in Ontario, Mika Publishing
bullet Alex W. Fraser and Rhoda Ross, GPSSV Locator
bullet various...,Historical Highlights of Cornwall Township, St. Andrew's Historical Society Bicentennial Committee
bullet Ian Bowering, Looking back at Cornwall's Lost Villages, Cornwall Standard-Freeholder, 4 Apr 1999, courtesy of Lily Worrall
bullet The City Directory of Cornwall 1927, Diamond Jubilee Edition, Vol 1, Might Directories Limited, Ottawa/Toronto/Halifax
bullet  The Canadian County Atlas Digital Project - Stormont Searchable map from the Belden atlas
bullet  Canadian Geographical Names - Natural Resources Canada
bullet  Smith's 1846 Canadian Gazetteer: Eastern District
bullet  Ontario Archives - The Changing Shape of Ontario
bullet  Places in Stormont County, Ontario




 Home Sign our Guestbook Stormont County Message Board

Contact me: wend...@gmail.com

Stormont County GenWeb Coordinator - Wendy Anctil | updated June 2014

Templates in Time