| TDGW Information and Resources|
Newspapers and Books
Researching in Temiskaming
Temiskaming Surname List
Temiskaming Genealogy Group
The present day District of Temiskaming support a GREAT HISTORY of First Nation, English, French and many others.
On 9 August 1853, a Schedule of the distribution of lands under the 1851 Statute was recommended by the Executive Council of the Province of Canada and approved by Order of the Governor-General, Lord Elgin. This was the creation of the Timiskaming First Nation along the shores of Lake Temiscamingue. In 1889, Charles Cobbold Farr left his employment as the last chief trader at Fort Temiscamingue with the Hudson Bay Company and moved his family to a clearing along the shore of Lake Temiskaming known as Humphreyï¿½s Depot, to establish one of the first non-native settlements. This spot was also known by its Algonkian name, Matabanick, an ancient native portage whose name roughly translates ï¿½place where the trail endsï¿½. Founded in 1991, the Temiskaming Genealogy Group serves the communities of Latchford, Cobalt, Haileybury, New Liskeard, Elk Lake, Matachewan, Gowganda, Earlton, Englehart, Tomstown, Kirkland Lake, Larder Lake, and Virginiatown Ontario.
Societe Franco-Ontarienne d'histoire et de Genealogie du Temiskaming
Send your request to;
The Temiskaming Genealogy Group
New Liskeard, Ont.
Please contact Cathy Blackburn for more information.
The Time Traveller
25 Algonquin Ave.
Kirkland Lake Ont.
Or by e-mail to Time Traveller
Societe Franco-Ontarienne d'histoire et de Genealogie
C. P. 1570
New Liskeard, Ontario
To have these sources searched contact one of the volunteers below.
NOTE: Please do not contact more then one of these researchers with the same query.
New Liskeard - Linda Nelson
Kirkland Lake - Cathy Blackburn
Native Resources - Irus Wabie
Questions or Comments about our Website
E-mail our Web Master