Thunder Bay District GenWeb: Municipal / Administrative History

OntarioGenWeb > Thunder Bay District GenWeb > Municipal / Administrative History
Thunder Bay District GenWeb
Municipal / Administrative History


Territory - Province: 1667 - 1867

This section indicates how the lands in Thunder Bay District changed hands and names over a 200-year period.

1667 - New France (French), Rupertís Land (British), and area disputed by British and French
1763 - Indian Country (not for settlement )
1791 - Upper Canada and Rupertís Land (British)
1840 - Province of Canada and Rupertís Land (British)
1867 - Ontario (province) and Rupertís Land (British)
1870 - Ontario and The North-West Territories
1874 - Ontario

Source: Territorial Evolution of Canada [map], 2nd ed., 1969 (MCR 2306)

Return to Top


District: 1871 - 1914

1871 - Thunder Bay District made a territorial district.
1914 - Thunder Bay District made a judicial district.

Source: Encyclopedia Canadiana, c1962

Return to Top


Townships

Unless otherwise stated, these are Municipal Townships.

1873 - Shunidah (Township) incorporated.
1879 - Oliver (Township) established.
1881 - Neebing (Township) established.
1901 - Schreiber (Township) incorporated.
1904 - Paipoonge (Township) created.
1907 - O'Connor (Township) created.
1909 - Nipigon (Township) created.
1913 - Conmee (Township) created.
1920 - Gillies (Townsihp) created.
1959 - Terrace Bay (Township) incorporated.
1969 - Dorion (Improvement District) incorporated as a Township.
1970 - Marathon (Improvement District) becomes a Township.
1975 - Manitouwadge (Improvement District) becomes a Township.
1976 - Beardmore (Improvement District) becomes a Township.
1978 - Nakina (Improvement District) becomes a Township.
1980 - Red Rock (Improvement District) becomes a Township.
1985 - Area of Beardmore (Township) enlarged by the addition of the geographic townships of Eva, McComber, and Summers.
1991 - Area of Red Rock (Township) changed.
1998 - The townships of Oliver and Paipoonge amalgamate as Oliver Paigpoonge (Township).
2001 - Beardmore and Nakina (Townships) and the towns of Geraldton and Longlac amalgamated as Greenstone (Town). At the same time parts of some unsurvyed lands and the geographic townships of Abrey, Ashmore, Colter, Croll, Daley, Dorothea, Errington, Fulford, Hipel, Houck, Irwin, Kilkenny, Kirby, Kitto, Lapierre, Leduc, Legault, Lindsley, McQuesten, Oakes, Salsberg, Sandra, Vincent, and Walters were annexed to the new town.

Return to Top


Cities

1907 - Fort William (Town) and Port Arthur (Town) become Cities.
1970 - Fort William (City) and Port Arthur (City) incorporate as The Lakehead (City), but on or before the effective date the name becomes Thunder Bay (City).

Return to Top


Towns

1884 - Prince Arthur's Landing (Police Village) incorporates as Port Arthur (Town).
1892 - Fort William incorporated.
1937 - Geraldton incorporated.
1982 - Longlac (Improvement District) becomes a Town.
1988 - Marathon (Township) becomes a Town.
1999 - Area of Neebing (Township) enlarged by the addition of the geographic townships of Pearson and Scoble. Status changed to Town.
2001 - Beardmore and Nakina (Townships) and the towns of Geraldton and Longlac amalgamated as Greenstone (Town). At the same time parts of some unsurvyed lands and the geographic townships of Abrey, Ashmore, Colter, Croll, Daley, Dorothea, Errington, Fulford, Hipel, Houck, Irwin, Kilkenny, Kirby, Kitto, Lapierre, Leduc, Legault, Lindsley, McQuesten, Oakes, Salsberg, Sandra, Vincent, and Walters were annexed to the new town.

Return to Top


Other

1872 - Prince Arthur's Landing (Police Village) incorporated.
1945 - Beardmore and Red Rock were incorporated as Improvement Districts.
1946 - Marathon (Improvement District) incorporated.
1951 - Dorion (Improvement District) incorporated.
1952 - Longlac (Improvement District) incorporated.
1954 - Manitouwadge (Improvement District) incorporated.
1957 - Nakina (Improvement District) established.

Return to Top


Sources for Districts to Other

  • Canadian Geographical Names Data Base
  • Records of the Geographical Names Board of Canada

Return to Top

This site is part of OntarioGenWeb