Waterloo County GenWeb

Read about COMPLETE Canadian Census 1851-1916 Online!

Waterloo County Records
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb Census
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb Vital Statistics (Births, Marriages, Deaths)
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb Immigration
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb History
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb Townships
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb Settlers & Biographies
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb Land
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb Newspaper Records
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb Court & Probate Records
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb Photo Albums
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb Family Bibles
Genealogy Data on Waterloo County Ontario GenWeb Queries
Tip of the Month
25 Most Popular Genealogy Blogs 2009
Featured Genealogy
Freeborn Zion Presbyterian Cemetery, Wellesley Township, Waterloo County, Ontario
Genealogy Blogs

History of Waterloo County

Counties: 1792 - present

Names not relevant to the area covered by Waterloo County GenWeb are not followed. Those names are shown in italics.

1837 - The townships of Proton, Luther, Melancthon and Amaranth become part of the County of Waterloo.

1838 - The townships of Waterloo, Wilmot, Woolwich, and some reserved lands west of Woolwich were to become part of the County of Waterloo.

1840 - Halton County is divided into the East Riding and the West Riding. The West Riding contains the townships of Garafraxa, Nichol, Woolwich, Guelp[h, Waterloo, Wilmot, Dumfries, Puslinch, Eramosa, and others.

1845 - West Riding of Halton County designated as County of Waterloo. Waterloo County included the townships of Arthur, Amaranth, Bentinck, Derby, Eramosa, Egremont, Guelph, Glenelg, Garrafraxa [sic], Holland, Luther, Mornington, Minto, Maryborough, Melancthon, Normanby, Nichol, Peel, Proton, Puslinch, Sydenham, Sullivan, Waterloo, Wilmot, Woolwich, and Wellesley. Erin was included for all purposes except Legislative Assembly representation, while Dumfries was included for purposes of Legislative Assembly representation.

1850 - Waterloo County includes the townships of Arthur, Amaranth, Bentinck, Derby, Eramosa, Egremont, Erin, Guelph, Glenelg, Garrafraxa [sic], Holland, Luther, Mornington, Minto, Maryborough, Melancthon, Normanby, Nichol, Peel, Proton, Puslinch, Sydenham, Sullivan, Waterloo, Wilmot, Woolwich, and Wellesley. Land included in Waterloo County included land to the north ot the Townships of Derby, Arran, and Saugeen and between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay, that had been known as the Indian Reserve.

1852 - Waterloo County alters in size. Townships within Waterloo County are North Dumfries, Waterloo, Wellesley, Wilmot, and Woolwich. The southern half of Dumfries went to Brant County.

1973 - Waterloo County is dissolved.

Townships
Unless otherwise stated, these are Municipal Townships.

1838 - The townships of Waterloo, Wilmot, Woolwich, and some reserved lands west of Woolwich became part of Wellington District.
1840 - Halton County's West Riding contained the townships of Garafraxa, Nichol, Woolwich, Guelph, Waterloo, Wilmot, Dumfries, Puslinch, Eramosa, and others.

1845 - West Riding of Halton County designated as County of Waterloo. Waterloo County includes the townships of Arthur, Amaranth, Bentinck, Derby, Eramosa, Egremont, Guelph, Glenelg, Garrafraxa [sic], Holland, Luther, Mornington, Minto, Maryborough, Melancthon, Normanby, Nichol, Peel, Proton, Puslinch, Sydenham, Sullivan, Waterloo, Wilmot, Woolwich, and Wellesley. Erin was included for all purposes except Legislative Assembly representation, while Dumfries was included for purposes of Legislative Assembly representation.

1850 - Waterloo County includes the townships of Arthur, Amaranth, Bentinck, Derby, Eramosa, Egremont, Erin, Guelph, Glenelg, Garrafraxa [sic], Holland, Luther, Mornington, Minto, Maryborough, Melancthon, Normanby, Nichol, Peel, Proton, Puslinch, Sydenham, Sullivan, Waterloo, Wilmot, Woolwich, and Wellesley. The townships of Waterloo, including Waterloo, Wellesley, Wilmot, and Woolwich, were incorporated.

1852 - Dumfries is divided into North Dumfries (the six northern concessions) and South Dumfries. Townships within Waterloo County are North Dumfries, Waterloo, Wellesley, Wilmot, and Woolwich. The southern half of Dumfries went to Brant County.

1973 - Waterloo (Mun. Tp.) is dissolved. Portions go to the cities of Cambridge, Kitchener, and Galt, and Woolwich (Mun. Tp.). St. Clements, Wellesley (village), Hawkesville, Baden, and Linwood lost their status and became part of Wellesley Township. New Hamburg and Conestogo lose their status and became part of Wilmot Township. Elmira (town), Woolwich Township, St. Jacobs (police village) and part of Waterloo Township amalgamate as Woolwich Township.

Historical Plaques of Waterloo County

Cities

1912 - Berlin became a City.
1915 - Galt became a City.
1916 - Berlin changed its name to Kitchener.
1948 - Waterloo became a City.
1973 - Cambridge (city) is created by amalgamation of the towns of Galt, Preston, and Hespeler, and parts of Noth Dumfries Township and Waterloo Township. Waterloo remains a City, loses a part to Kitchener, and gains a part of Waterloo Township. Bridgeport lost its status and became part of the city of Kitchener, along with parts of Waterloo (city) and Waterloo (township). Parts of the townships of Beverly and North Dumfries and Ayr (village) amalgamate as North Dumfries Township.

Towns

1851 - Guelph became a Town. Annexed to Wellington District in 1852.
1857 - Galt became a Town.
1870 - Berlin became a Town.
1876 - Waterloo became a Town.
1900 - Preston became a Town.
1901 - Hespeler became a Town.
1922 - Elmira (village) becomes a Town.
1966 - New Hamburg became a Town.
1973 - New Hamburg lost its status and became part of Wilmot Township. Elmira and St. Jacobs lost their status and became part of Woolwich Township.
Security Tip!
Use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer to prevent SPYWARE

Firefox is FREE, safe and user-friendly

Other

1850 - Galt became a Village.
1852 - Preston became a Village.
1854 - Berlin became a Village.
1857 - New Hamburg and Waterloo became Villages.
1859 - New Hope was incorporated as Hespeler (village).
1883 - Ayr became a Village.
1886 - Elmira became a Village.
1904 - St. Jacobs became a Police Village.
1906 - Hawkesville became a Police Village.
1907 - Bridgeport became a Village and St. Clements and Baden became Police Villages.
1908 - Wellesley became a Police Village.
1915 - Conestogo became a Police Village.
1919 - Linwood became a Police Village.
1962 - Wellesley changed its status to Village.
1973 - Bridgeport lost its status and became part of the city of Kitchener. St. Clements, Wellesley, and Linwood lost their status and became part of Wellesley Township. Conestogo lost its status and became part of Wilmot Township. Ayr lost its status and became part of North Dumfries Township.


Contact Waterloo County Host [Replace AT with @]
This site is part of OntarioGenWeb
URL: http://www.rootsweb.com/~onwaterl/           All rights reserved          Copyright 2004
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without my written consent.

Please Note: Ontario GenWeb operates as a free service, but you may find links to websites or organizations which charge a fee. These organizations are not financially associated with the GenWeb project, and are marked with a $